U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 PM

17 posts, read 49,445 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this? Camping out in a park late at night in Newark, NJ is just plain dangerous and stupid. I'm curious of how long will it take for the gangs to rob the protesters in Newark. Just wait till the drug dealers come to occupy the park with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levphn5FsE4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:06 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,692,704 times
How is it dangerous? That part of Newark is a ghosttown after 8pm.....and the drug dealers and gangs aren't in the Downtown area.... This shows how sheltered and uninformed you are...

Old 11-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How is it dangerous? That part of Newark is a ghosttown after 8pm.....and the drug dealers and gangs aren't in the Downtown area.... This shows how sheltered and uninformed you are...
Really? Gangs aren't downtown? Tell that to the people that were shot downtown in broad daylight? Tell that to the youth that was stabbed in the hand in that area. Tell that to the man that was stabbed to death. Tell that to the cop that was shot there. YOU are misinformed. I go there all the time. There was a shooting on River St, that's right next to the park. Drug deals happens there all the time. Those people are foolish for being there.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,692,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
Really? Gangs aren't downtown? Tell that to the people that were shot downtown in broad daylight? Tell that to the youth that was stabbed in the hand in that area. Tell that to the man that was stabbed to death. Tell that to the cop that was shot there. YOU are misinformed. I go there all the time. There was a shooting on River St, that's right next to the park. Drug deals happens there all the time. Those people are foolish for being there.
LOL , i'm down there alot at all hrs of the day and things that violent rarely happen in the Downtown core....but its a different story west and south of the core.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , i'm down there alot at all hrs of the day and things that violent rarely happen in the Downtown core....but its a different story west and south of the core.

Look it up. Look at the crime maps

http://spotcrime.com/#newark%2C%20nj
This looks mighty close to military park

This seems pretty violent to me
Woman killed, man injured in Newark shooting at Broad, Market streets | NJ.com

What about this?
Two shootings in Newark leave one dead and at least seven wounded | NJ.com

What about this?
15-year-old dead, 12 injured in Newark shootings | NJ.com

You must be blind, huh? If you were down there as often as you say you are you would have seen all these events.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM

697 posts, read 1,211,501 times
I'm there all the time too. Military Park isn't in the "ghetto" part of downtown where the meth clinic, ghetto retail, strip clubs and fried chicken joints are all located. Now don't get me wrong, they could be in danger(some were raped in NYC and robbed in Baltimore, California, etc. so they can be robbed there, plus the ghetto Carlton motel nearby), and it's their fault for sticking around, but it's not like they're in Vailsburg or West Side Park.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Military Park is where they shot the new Dark Knight movie a couple of weeks ago. It would have been interesting if it were occupied during Hollywood's visit.

Downtown is generally safe... all the way up the universities. However, Military Park (while not as bad as the ghetto areas) is the one part of downtown that I avoid. There's the least office buildings, security, and school buildings there... and it gets pretty deserted. So it just feels unsafe. But I dunno for sure.

So how do I feel about occupy NJ? I think it's ridiculous. Stop occupying our parks and wallstreet. Go occupy congressman's toilets and DC if you want change. Let the people who want to work everyday, work.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,514,265 times
Love the fact the unions are down there cheering them on. Guess they are concerned that they might be restricted in holding the cities hostage with some of their idiotic requirements. I find it off that some of the union's biggest critics are their own members. Even they find their "three guys to screw in one light bulb" requirements counterproductive. I guess they see this as a way to shift some genitive press to someone else. Like they didn't have a hand in helping to screw up this country's workplace.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM

22,805 posts, read 28,685,918 times
unions are among those desperate to counter the tea party and general anti-obama sentiment for the 2012 election. thats why they were praying for this "movement" to catch fire. things arent going so well for the unions these days due to the need for budget cuts and it will only get worse for them after the republicans take the senate and presidency in the 2012 election. they may want to start lining the pockets of republicans and not put all their chickens in the democrat basket.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,227,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyResident View Post
Lol, there's NO WAY you go there 'all the time'. No offense, but it's hard to believe you do. Not liking Newark is fine (you won't be the first, and definitely won't be the last), but don't paint yourself as a Newark 'regular' b/c it's so easy to tell you're not.

I mean...Military Park of all places in Newark to question? C'mon. If it were Vailsburg park my tune would be different.

With all that said I think the protesters are foolish b/c what will they accomplish in Newark that they already haven't in NY?

Last edited by 66nexus; 11-19-2011 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or