Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM

28 posts, read 69,825 times

Advertisements

Thanks truly to all of you for the continued support from the bottom of my heart!
Just yesterday the Nuero Pediatrian from the school evaluated him and confirmed that he is Autistic. His 3rd birthday is tomm.

Last edited by scsandur; 12-01-2011 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Next steps

-could someone please advice me the next steps, do i need to put DI, OT and ST combined with speech ABA for 4 hrs a day * 5 days a week = 20 hrs * $120 per hr = $2400

-The school district is taking time to get the next person that is ST ( speech therapist) for the next round of evaluation, and after that we will have IEP meeting and then we take them to board school and they will give a list of schools, so this process will take im guessing 2 months.

- like my friend in this forum suggested move to a school district where there are best schools for ASD, i would like to know.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM

85 posts, read 215,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsandur View Post
-could someone please advice me the next steps, do i need to put DI, OT and ST combined with speech ABA for 4 hrs a day * 5 days a week = 20 hrs * $120 per hr = $2400

-The school district is taking time to get the next person that is ST ( speech therapist) for the next round of evaluation, and after that we will have IEP meeting and then we take them to board school and they will give a list of schools, so this process will take im guessing 2 months.

- like my friend in this forum suggested move to a school district where there are best schools for ASD, i would like to know.
Go to the board I sent you via direct message. They can help you with the entire process.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,597 times
At the site [URL="http://www.autismspeaks.org"]www.autismspeaks.org[/URL], you will find a list of signs of Autism. I am the parent of 2 Autistic children. The speech thing looks a lot like something called 'echolalia', echoing of words, which is common to Autistics. Not saying it's what your son has, but I am saying that I see the things you described on a daily basis at home. Keep in mind when reading the posts of others talking about signs and symptoms that not all Autistics DO ALL of the things that are 'typical'. My youngest is on the severe end of the spectrum, but he plays pretend all the time, even has imaginary friends. Be strong, don't lose hope, and remember... Autism is a lifestyle, not a 'disease'.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:30 AM

284 posts, read 616,712 times
I didn't pay much attention to this thread, because even my child is special ed, but my child is not autistic.
However, don't expect the district to provide the appropriate services for you child, due to various reasons, say budget, ignorance, they may not have the interest of your child at heart.

you may also want to take a look at this 4 part series from LA times
Autism services go to the families who fight hardest - latimes.com

sorry, I am not going to cut-and-paste the content.

I agree with everyone that you should get your child evaluated, and educate yourself on the IEP process (don't count on the district). If you do not agree with the evaluation from the district, you can request an independent evaluation in public expense.
Yes, get an advocate if you can, but some of the districts are so arrogant that they would just give the advocates a hard time.
You also need to document and communicate with your district in writing. Use a three ring binder to keep all communication, test results.
As always, good personal relationship helps. The district may be helpful, but it does not hurt to be prepared to go to hearing if needed.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM

hi anna-mom,
we are educating our self about IEP and ABA. I appreciate your reply, i will watch the link and fight for our services.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not really an awful disability....any disability is bad...but Autism is not the worst...
dear sas0814
-its been 8 months, since i came to know the brutal truth of my son's autism, still today my heart cuts through thinking about the future of my son, which you have told.
-just a few days back my mother met a pyshic and she said the future about my son, i have lost courage and hope, there is nothing worse than this curse.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
dear sas0814
-its been 8 months, since i came to know the brutal truth of my son's autism, still today my heart cuts through thinking about the future of my son, which you have told.
-just a few days back my mother met a pyshic and she said the future about my son, i have lost courage and hope, there is nothing worse than this curse.
Its not a curse , many of my autistic friends have been to college , hold down a job and have a decent amount of friends if they got help early on. It also helps to have a support parent who pushes their child through life.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
dear sas0814
Please do not trust something as important as your son's future, and your future, to the mindless and irrational babblings of a psychic. At a crucial time like this, you need Reason, you need to think, you need to problem solve. Not lose yourself in foggy mysticism. Please snap out of it. You are allowing yourself to wallow in self-pity and delusion. Reality is here. You are here. Your son is here. Here is all there is. Get yourself into action mode and start solving the problems that are here. Anything else is condemning your son to a bleak and dismal future. It doesn't have to be that way. Reason. Now.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
Quote:
dear sas0814
I cannot imagine what you have bee through these past 8 months, but reading through the info you gave initially, I want to say do not give up hope. Your son will grow and develop but progress will be slow so you will need to realize that. He is young and I can tell that you are going to advocate for you son. You will find things to help him. I hope you are getting support for yourself. Please do that. You need to take care of yourself too. It will help you be stronger for your son.

How you view your son and his future will impact how you relate to him and this ultimately will have an affect on both of you. Do not give up on him and do not give up on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey