Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,968,751 times

Advertisements

Jersey City is very nice! Especially in Exchange Place. I currently attend a mentoring program at Barclays Capital in that area and have never been before. I have now definitely become very attracted to that area and its location. Right by the Holland Tunnel and Green Street/Washington Street there are some very nice apartment buildings. Its a nice area with bars and buzzing with young professionals. Its expensive, but not on your salary.

Congrats on your success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

576 posts, read 1,591,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Jersey City is very nice! Especially in Exchange Place. I currently attend a mentoring program at Barclays Capital in that area and have never been before. I have now definitely become very attracted to that area and its location. Right by the Holland Tunnel and Green Street/Washington Street there are some very nice apartment buildings. Its a nice area with bars and buzzing with young professionals. Its expensive, but not on your salary.

??? . That's barely a square mile of Jersey City. Don't get so excited, visit the rest before you make a blanket statement.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,968,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
??? . That's barely a square mile of Jersey City. Don't get so excited, visit the rest before you make a blanket statement.
True, but I liked what I saw. My aunt used to live in another area of Jersey City...I didn't like her neighborhood so much? It was a little "ghetto"?

But that was years ago. I guess me seeing Exchange Place made me think they were building the city up for the better.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM

831 posts, read 2,816,954 times
I've never made that much, I don't know what I would do if I could land a job starting at that much today.

You should be just fine.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,030,077 times
You will be working in Manhattan, you said, and therefoe you will have city income tax deducted from your paycheck. To my knowledge, you can deduct these taxes from your federal income taxes, not from NJ state. You only mentioned NY state income taxes.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,099,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You will be working in Manhattan, you said, and therefoe you will have city income tax deducted from your paycheck. To my knowledge, you can deduct these taxes from your federal income taxes, not from NJ state. You only mentioned NY state income taxes.
This is not correct, you do not have to pay NYC income tax unless you live in NYC.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Non-residents working in NYC do not have city income tax deducted from their paychecks. NYS tax, yes. NYC tax, no.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 PM

576 posts, read 1,591,983 times
Quote:
True, but I liked what I saw. My aunt used to live in another area of Jersey City...I didn't like her neighborhood so much? It was a little "ghetto"?

But that was years ago. I guess me seeing Exchange Place made me think they were building the city up for the better.
I hear ya. Yea they basically focus on Downtown for development. The rest hasnt changed much.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 67,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hob630 View Post
I'd recommend Grove Street for you- lots of restaurants and bars if you do want to go out, lots of art-related things, but not too crazy. Rents are reasonable especially if you live in a multi-family house. NYC is great, but living there or in Brooklyn comes with lots of added expenses. Taxes there are higher and even incidentals cost more because there are less discount stores out there (like Target and Walmart, both of which are near you in JC). I work in NYC and live in Hoboken and love it- coming home to NJ is very relaxing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
would you be happier (or bored) a little further away from the city like Rutherford?
Hi hob360 and joe moving! Thanks for your replies.

@joe moving: I could be happier in Rutherford, but that happiness might be derived only from better savings (I haven't explored Rutherford at all, so I really have no information; I'm assuming that the further I live from NYC, the lower the cost-of-living becomes). Surely, the commute would be longer (about an hour perhaps?), and I would have to think more than twice when making plans with my friends in NYC, especially the late night plans. It is definitely a place that might be on my mind if/when I get married and have kids.

@hob360: Yes, I'm not too keen on living in NYC. Could you tell me what you were referring to by a multi-family house? Did you mean living with a room-mate/room-mates or something else altogether? Also, if I may ask you, do you think living in Hoboken is possible at $75k/year? If so, under what conditions (solo vs. with room-mate(s), decent savings vs. hardly any savings), given my lifestyle choices in the original post? Thanks again for your input!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 67,908 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I hear ya. Yea they basically focus on Downtown for development. The rest hasnt changed much.
Hi nj21 and cf77! Thanks for your replies! I think I should probably visit Jersey City for a couple of days before starting on the job, and see apartments for myself before signing a lease.

@nj21: Do you think one could rent a studio/1-bedroom apartment in Exchange Place on $75k/year and still be able to save good money? All studios/1-beds in Newport, Exchange Place, and Grove Street areas seem to be renting in the $1700-2200/month range. Also, if I may ask, which area of Jersey City did your aunt live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey