Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,678 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this brief. I suspect my landlord of using shock and fear to get us to leave our home of 9 years.

There has been this guy that every other day/every few days at random times during the day comes by our house and vandalizes it.
So far this guy has busted out many of our windows, defaced and broken our mailbox (ours and another one that is not being used) broke the front gate twice, dumps garbage on the front porch, and very recently threw a brick through my mothers' bedroom window.

My mother is so scared, shocked and disgusted, she has already made arrangements to move, but legal action needs to be taken against those responsible for this, and I suspect the landlord is committing foul play.

Lemme explain why I think so:

-My mother got a good look of the vandal one day before he ran away. It's someone that used to work for the landlord with another man named Kevin. Kevin is the individual who destroyed my mothers cable wires and stole the copper out of them.

-The landlord and the "acting" super of the building had a major falling out not too long ago, to the point where the landlord stated he didn't want him on the property. Thing is, the superint. and my mom are long-time good friends.

-When my mom signed the lease for the place 9 or so years ago, both the landlord and his girlfriend at the time were reluctant to rent to her due to her having a low income and receiving housing assistance.

-He (landlord) has homeowners' insurance, and all damages made aren't too expensive to fix.

-He has not done his part to cooperate with the police to apprehend this vandal and has not installed cameras like he said he was going to, plus he has outright refused to make repairs.

-My mother has made several police reports and has contacted the landlord many times. He only came out to the house once since this has been happening, is very nonchalant about the whole situation, and stated to my mom one day over the phone that "If you leave, maybe it will stop".

I am sure he is guilty, but we are too poor to afford a lawyer and we need advice. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
Have you even considered that the guy who "used" to work for the landlord is just disgruntled and is trying to get back at the landlord for letting him go?

As a homeowner I would not destroy my own property to make a tenant uncomfortable, I simply would not renew the lease at the end of the term.

What you are describing is also illeagle and insurance fraud if he is committing the acts himself and then trying to claim them on insurance, not to mention that it is all probably below his deductible.

Your scenario just does not make any sense.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Default opinion

I live in N.D., here we have a free legal services program for Seniors and for folks who have disabilities. I would suggest that you find out if you have a senior legal program, and perhaps your mother could apply for help. Also, here it is my understanding, landlords sign contracts w/ the housing agency, from what I have heard, for a number of years they commit their property to be low income property. My point is this, perhaps you and your mom could contact the housing authority there, if she is on a program that assists w/ housing. And, also, it is my experience that legal programs, if you are near a Law School/University may be available. I would certainly think it is worth the time to see if these options are available to you, in your area.
I have absolutely no experience in law, but am offering my opinion only.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Have you even considered that the guy who "used" to work for the landlord is just disgruntled and is trying to get back at the landlord for letting him go?

As a homeowner I would not destroy my own property to make a tenant uncomfortable, I simply would not renew the lease at the end of the term.

What you are describing is also illeagle and insurance fraud if he is committing the acts himself and then trying to claim them on insurance, not to mention that it is all probably below his deductible.

Your scenario just does not make any sense.
But I think it does. The landlord has more of a gripe with my mom and her friend than the vandal would have with the landlord. And for the record, he never "fired" the guy, he just doesn't work on OUR house anymore.

Destroying his own property is not a major loss to him. My mother found out the cost it would be to fix the windows, gate and mailbox and it came to no more than 200 dollars. That's not huge money.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Well if someone throws bricks thru my moms bedroom window my advice is to shoot and kill the person. If your mom gets hit in the head she could be a dead mom.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well if someone throws bricks thru my moms bedroom window my advice is to shoot and kill the person. If your mom gets hit in the head she could be a dead mom.
Just make sure "if" you shoot him, to drag the body into your house first and covered up a marks that would indicate what you did...I've been watching to many CSI shows...LOL

Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
You are making grand assumptions here that border on slander and defamation...so just think about what you type before you put it on the interwens for all to see.

You have seen the actual person who is vandalizing the home and it was not the landlord but someone who used to work for him.

Having a gripe with your mother does not make someone destroy their own property, especially if he is receiving funds from a government agency for ehr rent.

Also, I am not sure who could replace a window, gate and a mailbox for $200 because most mailboxes cost more then $200 and windows and gates are much more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playably View Post
But I think it does. The landlord has more of a gripe with my mom and her friend than the vandal would have with the landlord. And for the record, he never "fired" the guy, he just doesn't work on OUR house anymore.

Destroying his own property is not a major loss to him. My mother found out the cost it would be to fix the windows, gate and mailbox and it came to no more than 200 dollars. That's not huge money.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
You are making grand assumptions here that border on slander and defamation...so just think about what you type before you put it on the interwens for all to see.

You have seen the actual person who is vandalizing the home and it was not the landlord but someone who used to work for him.

Having a gripe with your mother does not make someone destroy their own property, especially if he is receiving funds from a government agency for ehr rent.

Also, I am not sure who could replace a window, gate and a mailbox for $200 because most mailboxes cost more then $200 and windows and gates are much more...

My accusations aren't "grand", I am making them after piecing everything together and eliminating most possible causes for this happening, being as they don't add up ( my mother has no enemies/stalkers, and neither do I ).

My mother has already had the damage assessed, and all the mailboxes and windows are very cheap, because our soon-to-be ex-landlord is extremely cheap. Not only that, but after my mother told the landlord she wanted to move yesterday, he sent the insurance company to our house and the attacks have stopped.

For the record, I don't give a damn about who I've "offended" the internet or whoever is behind this vandalism, I just want them punished for what they've done to my family. I am understandably frustrated and just looking for answers, but nvm, I see I'm not going to get any valid help here, just troll answers.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Go on Amazon.com, BJ's, Costco, etc. and get yourself a camera (wireless or wired). The camera is not permanent, so you can take it with you when you move. You can view directly on your smart phone or your computer and the service doesn't cost anything, other than the cost of the camera. That's really the only way you'll know for sure who is doing this to you and then you'll have proof for the police.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W...2618319&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Secur...618472&sr=8-14
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-930...p_ob_p_title_3
Amazon.com: Panasonic BL-C230A Wireless Internet Security Camera: Camera & Photo

Good luck~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey