Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

Stricter laws may leave N.J. teens facing tougher road to driver's license | NJ.com

Quote:
Parents of teens with a driving learner’s permit would be required to take a teen driver-orientation course, and the teenagers themselves would have to practice driving for up to 100 hours, under the bill sent to the state Assembly.

The bill would also lengthen the current six-month driver permit phase to one year, giving New Jersey one of the strictest teen driver safety laws in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
thats trenton for ya. instead of addressing skyhigh property taxes with regionalizing districts and towns and other ideas they spend time on how to f up your liberties. Thats great parents have to sit in school now. I forgot what do i have to do raise my hand every 30 minutes when i have to take a leak.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I forgot what do i have to do raise my hand every 30 minutes when i have to take a leak.
No, bathroom breaks are not allowed during lessons. You are a grown up and should be able to hold it during class. If you really have to go wait until the bell rings and stop in the bathroom during your 3 minute change to the next class. However, only the bathrooms on the first floor next to the main office are open during this time. It doesn't matter that your class is in block 32 on the third floor of the west wing and you need to make it block 27 on the second floor of the east wing. If you are late to the next lesson you will receive mandatory detention and have to submit a paper about the importance of punctuality and bladder control. Bathrooms are of course always available during your 22 minute lunch break as long as you request permission and take the appropriate form with you. Just please be aware that no one will be admitted to the line for purchasing lunch once we are 5 minutes into lunch service and no one is permitted to leave their seat once seated until the bell rings.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
No, bathroom breaks are not allowed during lessons. You are a grown up and should be able to hold it during class. If you really have to go wait until the bell rings and stop in the bathroom during your 3 minute change to the next class. However, only the bathrooms on the first floor next to the main office are open during this time. It doesn't matter that your class is in block 32 on the third floor of the west wing and you need to make it block 27 on the second floor of the east wing. If you are late to the next lesson you will receive mandatory detention and have to submit a paper about the importance of punctuality and bladder control. Bathrooms are of course always available during your 22 minute lunch break as long as you request permission and take the appropriate form with you. Just please be aware that no one will be admitted to the line for purchasing lunch once we are 5 minutes into lunch service and no one is permitted to leave their seat once seated until the bell rings.
i see i wasnt the only student bothered by the bathroom restrictions. it really pissed me off that i had to ask a teacher for bathroom permission anytime i wanted to take a leak. then they locked the bathrooms between periods (and like 10 minutes before and after the bell) so you couldnt just do it in between. i was always pretty regular so i would want to go during the same class. i remember one teacher asking me if i was making it a habit of taking a leak during his class. its an offensive concept that my pissing habits were being questioned.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I think the process for getting a drivers license is severely lacking in this country. The cost and current process are an absolute joke as is the driving portion of the "test" that they require you to take in order to get a license. The exact road portion that I took is still used at the center I took it at:

Enter the course and parallel park between the cones (space is probably 1.5-2 car lengths in size). Execute a K-turn out of the space. Make a left onto the road (low traffic side street with 35mph limit). Stop at the light and make a right. Continue through the 25mph zone, stop at the light, make a right. Conitnue along another 25mph zone, stop at the light, make a right. Drive down the 35mph zone back to the testing center and make a left into the parking lot.

Being able to do the above magically confers one with the ability to then drive a car anywhere they want on major highways at speeds over 75mph in heavy traffic, around traffic circles, in all weather conditions, etc. as long as you don't have your friends along or aren't doing it at night. When I got my license none of that existed so I could have loaded 10 people in my car and driven to Canada if I wanted to.

I don't agree with the new "law" as it simply adds more BS on top of the BS pile without addressing the root issue; we simply do not require a high enough level of actual driver training before we give someone a license. Mom and dad sitting in a 6 hour class (or taking it online) and then "logging" 100 hours of driving on an honor system (and even then only if the kid is 16, the provision is waived for 17 year olds) is not going to make people better drivers. Most likely because the average person is just an average driver and not equipped with the skills to actually teach someone how to drive properly.

What I would like to see is a year long process starting at 16 that involves both classroom and onroad instruction. It should cover not only the basics of driving and the rules of the road, but also basic vehicle maintenance, how to change a tire, check tire pressures, etc. It should also focus heavily on defensive driving techniques and things like accident avoidance and skid control. Once this course is completed, then you get a provisional license that is in effect until you are 18 at which point you have a regular license. Adults who want to take the course still need to go through the year of training unless they are able to test out of all the requirements.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 13,771 times
Default NJ makes it hard enough

NJ makes it hard enough to get a license if you are under 21 anyway. You have to go through a supervised period even if you are 20. You cannot drive between 11:01pm-5:00am until you are 21. I do believe you can drive a tank in the army younger than that!

These laws are ridiculous to begin with now they want parents to go to school?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

112 posts, read 328,011 times
LOL, a year of permit driving?? teens have it rough these days......

in the 90's, i went from getting a high school drivers permit to a full fledged (non probationary) drivers license in under two weeks.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I

What I would like to see is a year long process starting at 16 that involves both classroom and onroad instruction. It should cover not only the basics of driving and the rules of the road, but also basic vehicle maintenance, how to change a tire, check tire pressures, etc. It should also focus heavily on defensive driving techniques and things like accident avoidance and skid control. Once this course is completed, then you get a provisional license that is in effect until you are 18 at which point you have a regular license. Adults who want to take the course still need to go through the year of training unless they are able to test out of all the requirements.
While I agree with you in principle, who would pay for it? All three of my kids took classes and on-road instruction through a driving school, and even though it was done through their high schools, it cost $450.00 each. It did save us on insurance costs.

That would put a tremendous burden on a lot of people.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
what are the stats on teen car accidents? of the groups that i run into on the road that dont drive properly, they arent in the top 5.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
My private pilots license only required a minimum of 40 hours. A significant portion of that was solo. Retesting of seniors is a step they should take. As parents will be held financially libel for any issues their kids have on the roads, they should be the ones to train the kids. A driver ed class is sufficient for now.

Last edited by rscalzo; 11-29-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: