Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times

Advertisements

We are the problem, not the deer. We have destroyed all of the natural resources where they once lived. We are the ones who are over-populated. That's why you don't have this problem in states like Vermont. The deer don't need to cross highways, there is plenty of land left for them to live on peacefully.

But, since we can't legally go around hunting people, we have to do something about the population. I have a HUGE problem with bow and arrow season because there are very few skilled marksman out there and many deer get wounded and die slow, painful deaths from infection. I would rather see them die quickly and painlessly and the chances of that happening are greater with a gun than a bow and arrow. If hunting were not allowed then so many more would starve to death and get hit by cars looking for food. It's a bad situation and the only "good" solution is birth control (for both us and them) but in the deer world this has not been perfected yet.

And I do agree that people need to be more cautious and respectful of wildlife. I can't count how many dead animals I've seen on side streets and parking lots where either someone was intentionally trying to hit them or speeding and not paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
We are the problem, not the deer. We have destroyed all of the natural resources where they once lived.
We also destroyed the predators which normally ate them. And since they prefer forest edge to forest interior, the suburbs are actually pretty ideal for them.

So, can I put you down as in favor of re-introducing the wolf?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
We are the problem, not the deer. We have destroyed all of the natural resources where they once lived. We are the ones who are over-populated. That's why you don't have this problem in states like Vermont. The deer don't need to cross highways, there is plenty of land left for them to live on peacefully.

But, since we can't legally go around hunting people, we have to do something about the population. I have a HUGE problem with bow and arrow season because there are very few skilled marksman out there and many deer get wounded and die slow, painful deaths from infection. I would rather see them die quickly and painlessly and the chances of that happening are greater with a gun than a bow and arrow. If hunting were not allowed then so many more would starve to death and get hit by cars looking for food. It's a bad situation and the only "good" solution is birth control (for both us and them) but in the deer world this has not been perfected yet.

And I do agree that people need to be more cautious and respectful of wildlife. I can't count how many dead animals I've seen on side streets and parking lots where either someone was intentionally trying to hit them or speeding and not paying attention.
I do not accept that we are the problem. OVER-population of deer is the problem. And the solution is allowing a longer hunting season and removing restrictions on hunters. This is northern New Jersey and wild animals that overpopulate cannot live here. It's really as simple as that. I am not going to end civilization and progress to return to pre-historic times. There is plenty of undeveloped land in the United States where animals can be left to their own ecosystems. But northern New Jersey is MY ecosystem. And while a few birds and squirrels and chipmunks are acceptable and pleasant, any overpopulation of any particular species that leads to excess accidents or disease among humans must be met with eradication. In this area, we come first, period, and that is as simple and complex as it needs to be.

Let the hunters hunt. That is what the animals do in their world to eradicate overpopulation. That is the natural and balanced response that we need to adopt.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM

249 posts, read 803,373 times
The population if out of balance.
Northern New Jersey has a high population, but it needs to increase the number of hunters.

If the deer are not thinned out, they could well over-populate and starve to death. Thinning the heard is the most humane way. More humane would be if we move all the people out of New Jersey, rip up all the roads, tear down all the buildings and replant the forests. I am not a hunter, but I am grateful for the job they do.

Who can get the numbers on the deer to hunter ratio in New Jersey as compared with that of Vermont?
And I have never seen any animals dead on the road in Vermont either, come to think of it.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
We also destroyed the predators which normally ate them. And since they prefer forest edge to forest interior, the suburbs are actually pretty ideal for them.

Yes! And I agree that destroying the natural predators is also a big part of the problem.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I do not accept that we are the problem. OVER-population of deer is the problem. And the solution is allowing a longer hunting season and removing restrictions on hunters. This is northern New Jersey and wild animals that overpopulate cannot live here. It's really as simple as that. I am not going to end civilization and progress to return to pre-historic times. There is plenty of undeveloped land in the United States where animals can be left to their own ecosystems. But northern New Jersey is MY ecosystem. And while a few birds and squirrels and chipmunks are acceptable and pleasant, any overpopulation of any particular species that leads to excess accidents or disease among humans must be met with eradication. In this area, we come first, period, and that is as simple and complex as it needs to be.

Let the hunters hunt. That is what the animals do in their world to eradicate overpopulation. That is the natural and balanced response that we need to adopt.
You and I have completely different views of the world. I look at it as OUR ecosystem. Mine, yours, the animals, the fauna and flora, etc. Not mine alone. Not yours alone. I have no problems with skilled hunters who respect the animal and utilize it properly but there are problems far beyond the overpopulation of the deer that contribute to this problem. Pretty soon there will be no room left for anyone, including us.

I also don't think it's a "natural" response since we are killing nature in favor of human overpopulation and urban development. But to each his own.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
You and I have completely different views of the world. I look at it as OUR ecosystem. Mine, yours, the animals, the fauna and flora, etc. Not mine alone. Not yours alone. I have no problems with skilled hunters who respect the animal and utilize it properly but there are problems far beyond the overpopulation of the deer that contribute to this problem. Pretty soon there will be no room left for anyone, including us.

I also don't think it's a "natural" response since we are killing nature in favor of human overpopulation and urban development. But to each his own.
Your mistake is separating us from nature. We are nature. There is no separation. And killing encroaching animal life is as natural a response as can be. Every form of life stakes out its location and kills interlopers who threaten its existence. From bacteria to humans and every species in between. The urban jungle is ours to command. Some animal life is to be tolerated and enjoyed. Excess animal life cannot stay here. When we kill excess deer, bears, or what have you, we are behaving in perfect balance with the natural order. The vast majority of North America is undeveloped, and we have even designated gigantic parks and preserves and even swamps as protected areas to remain undisturbed. Fine. But Newark and Cedar Grove and North Bergen and Hackensack and Rockaway are for men first and lesser animals second. Excess animal life CANNOT stay here. That's really just logical.

Environmentalism and conservationism CAN be excessive too. We need to be careful that healthy concern for animals and plants does not transmogrify to insanity. Deer causing accidents on Route 46 in Fairfield is not acceptable, and it is the deer that have to go, not us.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
We are the problem, not the deer.
haha thats funny. we need deer civil rights so that deer can get equality.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

How would you keep the wolf population down?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
How would you keep the wolf population down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey