Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 AM

44 posts, read 72,772 times

Advertisements

The costs to live in north jersey are getting so bad that it is time for me and my family to move on. I work in the city and yes I drive in. It costs me $40+ a day to get to and from work! Ridiculous. The major north-south roads are traffic laden and now higher toll driven. yeah, traffic and money! What used to be decent taxes are now ridiculous and for what? Less of a police force, volunteer fire and reduced recreation. I know for me, I 've finally had enough and hope that others do too. See ya Jersey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogonj135 View Post
The costs to live in north jersey are getting so bad that it is time for me and my family to move on. I work in the city and yes I drive in. It costs me $40+ a day to get to and from work! Ridiculous. The major north-south roads are traffic laden and now higher toll driven. yeah, traffic and money! What used to be decent taxes are now ridiculous and for what? Less of a police force, volunteer fire and reduced recreation. I know for me, I 've finally had enough and hope that others do too. See ya Jersey!

can you take the path, jersey transit or the light rail? my friend lives in newark and works in manhattan, takes him 1.5 hours each way and about 300 a month for both systems.

the 40 bucks that you spend daily, does that include parking, gas, and tolls all together?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
This is a big increase and should reduce traffic on the Garden State Parkway a bit. At least I can enjoy that aspect since I have little choice but to use it. They do appear to be using the money wisely though, expanding lanes south of Tom's River. I can remember when there was no EZPass and driving to Atlantic City meant stopping every 7 minutes to drop quarters in a basket. Then the dreaded narrowing to 2 lanes south of Exit 80. Today, there are lots more lanes, with more being built, and express EZPass. A trip to the shore is a breeze for the most part. It's worth the money if they keep making improvements like this. The Parkway is also generally very well maintained in terms of a smooth surface. I can accept toll increases as long as they keep the GSP well maintained, keep adding nice new lanes, and keep improving EZPass. Just another cost of life in the best state in the country.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 AM

of course I can take NJT to Path but I choose not to. Primarily because the commute this way is 90 mins best case and I'm held by their time charts. It would cost me about the same $300 a month but I get in early and leave early so I avoid traffic. I can get to my office in 35-40 mins in the am as opposed to 90 mins on train.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
of course I can take NJT to Path but I choose not to. Primarily because the commute this way is 90 mins best case and I'm held by their time charts. It would cost me about the same $300 a month but I get in early and leave early so I avoid traffic. I can get to my office in 35-40 mins in the am as opposed to 90 mins on train.

wait.. you said you spend 40 bucks a day with the car, not sure if you include parking, gas, and tolls, so say you spend 40 a day, times it by 20 days of work a month, that comes out to 800 a month, way more than the NJ transit and Mta combined (300).

Not to put you on the spot, but my friend has thought about getting a car, and every calculation he has, it still costs at least 2x more. I was going to help him look for a good running car since i worked on them for a while.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM

includes gas, tolls (GWB) and parking. I travel so I'm not there 20 days per month

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM

seems like people in jersey cant get ahead even if they make good money. 53% hike is huge, it adds up once more trips are taken. are many people leaving NJ in general? seems like for a family of 4, that family needs to make 200k to at least live in a decent house in a safe neighborhood with a good school system, while transportation costs and prop taxes eat you alive.

yes, my friend talks about it with me a lot, he is 33 and still cant afford to start a family in jersey or nyc, while making 60k a year in nyc.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't mind paying tolls as long as they keep it clean and update. The Parkway is well kept and I do respect that but remember what they said whe they put the tolls in place? They will only be here a short time to pay for original construction. That's how it was sold to the residents of NJ and we bought it. Of course we should believe the NJ politicians! Their track record is impeccable!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a big increase and should reduce traffic on the Garden State Parkway a bit. At least I can enjoy that aspect since I have little choice but to use it. They do appear to be using the money wisely though, expanding lanes south of Tom's River. I can remember when there was no EZPass and driving to Atlantic City meant stopping every 7 minutes to drop quarters in a basket. Then the dreaded narrowing to 2 lanes south of Exit 80. Today, there are lots more lanes, with more being built, and express EZPass. A trip to the shore is a breeze for the most part. It's worth the money if they keep making improvements like this. The Parkway is also generally very well maintained in terms of a smooth surface. I can accept toll increases as long as they keep the GSP well maintained, keep adding nice new lanes, and keep improving EZPass. Just another cost of life in the best state in the country.
i do benefit in the summers heading down to lbi since they added that lane. much less traffic these days. i dont mind paying for something if im getting good value for my money. its important to keep the pressure on the government because they will give you enough to make you think you are getting something for your money, but they will try to spend more on projects than it could have cost and they will try to take any money they can to waste elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
I don't mind paying tolls as long as they keep it clean and update. The Parkway is well kept and I do respect that but remember what they said whe they put the tolls in place? They will only be here a short time to pay for original construction. That's how it was sold to the residents of NJ and we bought it. Of course we should believe the NJ politicians! Their track record is impeccable!
Curious as to whether there is any evidence of this actually being the case. Since the GSP and the NJ TPK are both over fifty years old, I wonder if this "memory" is just an urban legend. I have heard the same claim made about certain bridges but have never seen anything supporting the claim.

How would maintenance and reconstruction be paid for without the tolls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey