Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I agree. Plus, if it was a model home, the builder was probably trying to get it done as quickly as possible.

My parents bought a house a few years back with a good amount of paper. They just papered over everything. Just so risky to take it off, as you have no clue what you might be getting yourself into.
In addition my husband & myself work full time. I do not want to spend my evenings and weekends taking down tacky wallpaper and then priming & painting walls....my leisure time is way to valuble to me..of course there are people that do ENJOY this, not us.

Ifthe deal was sweet enough where I had money left to hire someone then maybe yes otherwise I would just turn on my heel and exit...fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

26 posts, read 103,161 times
Well It depends how big the rooms are or how much time you are willing to put into it, but it can be done. If you really like the house and have the time to do it, I'd say go for it!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:23 PM

220 posts, read 623,721 times
YESSSSS! I'd LOVE to buy a home with ugly wallpaper thank you very much. Usually they cannot sell because everyone is afaid of it....so the price is usually lower than other homes with the exact same layout & sans the paper...do not be afraid young home buyer....may the gods of home improvement shine upon you this day....LOL. I have tackled the wallpaper issue myself & yes it stinks but well worth it when you see your home value increase as each piece falls to the ground!! Good luck!!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccernj View Post
Has anyone ever purchased a home with ugly wallpaper and then took it all down? I am looking at a home that was the "model" home. The interior designers must have gone crazy with the wallpaper (in one bedroom it is on the ceiling also). I am very handy around the house (have painted, installed moldings, etc), but I was wondering what would I be getting myself into if I had to remove about wallpaper from five rooms (kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms).
Thanks

LOL, this reminds me of when my parents bought their home when I was a kid. The kitchen had hideous brown wallpaper (full of vegetables, pots, kettles, and eating utensils). Most of the other walls had that ugly 1970's faux-wood paneling and/or plaster.

This didn't really matter since all of the walls came down and were replaced by drywall anyway!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,770 times
Haven't read the previous posts, but my answer would be it depends...

mostly on the age of the home and the wallpaper. i had an 80 year old house, with ancient wallpaper (that had been painted over - ugh - in several rooms). the wallboard itself was different back then, and there was no way, no how that wallpaper was coming off. i tried myself several times, and tried to get professional quotes - no one would bother touching it. it was paint it again or replace all the walls. if it were a 70s/80s kinda bad, then I'd be up for it...mine was a 30s-40s kinda bad and there was no satisfactory solution.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM

142 posts, read 537,158 times
I passed on a gorgeous house that had wallpaper in almost every room. It was not the type of wallpaper that you can steam off. It was a tin foil base with green flowers printed on it. Water probably would not penetrate it.

I would have had to sheetrock most of the interior.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Depending on the wallpaper job you can paint over it. We did this in our kitchen with a primer that 'seals' the wallpaper. We sanded down the walls, primed and painted; you can't tell they were ever wall papered, its lasted ten years!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Welcome to my life.

Wallpaper everywhere. The house was built in 1980 and they never primed the walls before the paper was put on.

So....the paper came off easily...the glue! ACK!

You take a spray bottle and put 1/10 white vinegar to 9/10 water. Spray the wall, take a scraper and scrape the glue off. It's gross!

Then you have to skim-coat the walls. Then you put on oil-based primer, spackle, sand and then finally you are ready for regular primer and paint.

If we did not get the deal we did on this house, I would have said, "No way!" but a deal is a deal.

Good luck!

Shanny

Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
If they didn't use sizing, there's no way in hell it will come down without destroying the drywall. I bought an older home with tons of ugly wallpaper, but it was plaster.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan64 View Post
Have a wall paper ripping party. Invite friends over, give them food and beverages and rip away!! The wall paper will certainly come down quickly. Invite their little ones to do the lower half anf then no one has to bend too much =)
I like that idea!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: