Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,590,493 times

Advertisements

lets see if they flee for NJ.
[SIZE=3]Victory for OWS: Governor Cuomo Taxes the Rich and Eases the ...[/SIZE]
19 hours ago ... Victory for OWS: Governor Cuomo Taxes the Rich and Eases the Burden of the
Middle Class. Just months after Occupy Wall St.'s inception, ...
[SIZE=3]Andrew Cuomo's tax-the-rich plan has big promise for New York ...[/SIZE]1 day ago ... Gov. Cuomo displayed superb skills in persuading the Legislature in his first year
to hold the line on spending and taxes in the face of a $10 ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,735,110 times
When you have that kind of money, you are not going to drastically alter your lifestyle because of a minor tax increase.

Everyone making between $40,000 and $300,000 in the state is going to be benefiting from $400 in tax cuts.

re-doing the tax code to eliminate loopholes and increase the taxes on those making $300,000 or more by 1-3%, along with a big reduction in spending is the way to get out of these budget messes.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,541,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
re-doing the tax code to eliminate loopholes and increase the taxes on those making $300,000 or more by 1-3%, along with a big reduction in spending is the way to get out of these budget messes.
which loopholes should be eliminated?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,189,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
which loopholes should be eliminated?
Carried interest is the amount of a hedge fund manager's income that stems from his or her performance. While the rest of hedge fund managers' earnings are taxed at standard U.S. tax code rates -- 35 percent or lower, depending on income -- the performance portion of a hedge fund manager's income is taxed at the capital gains tax rate -- only 15 percent, according to International Business Times.

Occupy Greenwich Avenue? N.Y. man protests tax loopholes - GreenwichTime

And: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/op...loopholes.html

Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Carried interest is the amount of a hedge fund manager's income that stems from his or her performance. While the rest of hedge fund managers' earnings are taxed at standard U.S. tax code rates -- 35 percent or lower, depending on income -- the performance portion of a hedge fund manager's income is taxed at the capital gains tax rate -- only 15 percent, according to International Business Times.

Occupy Greenwich Avenue? N.Y. man protests tax loopholes - GreenwichTime

And: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/op...loopholes.html
how many hedge fund managers are there?

the thing you mentioned seems related to the one thing i would agree on as a "loophole" primarily enjoyed by the rich. i would change the capital gains rate to equal income, but you specified only hedge fund managers which i think is quite funny. one other thing that makes the target of the hedge fund manager funny is that in reading i see that in most instances their carried interest would be taxed as a short term capital gain which would be the same as their income tax rate, so no benefit for them. i would also not allow government entities to offer tax free debt. that would hurt their ability to raise money, but its something the wealthy take advantage of to reduce their tax liability.

otherwise, if you want to start cutting loopholes that actually would raise any real money, you would need to cut things that dont primarily benefit the wealthy (mortgage interest deduction, child exemptions, etc.)

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,590,493 times
The Holland tunnel is packed now. I guess the multi millionaires and billionaires are fleeing. Bloomberg was out today complaining. I guess he doesn't want to shed anymore of the billions he has in the interest of balancing the budget and giving middleclass a small reduction. Gotta love the so called "job creators" we hear about daily.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times
Small Businesses are the future , I know a few friends that are nearing there 3rd location already after a year or two in business due to demand and new ideas. There businesses employee between 5-15 people per location , that adds up as they expand and there paided slightly above Minimal wage so its more $$$ into the Middle Class workforce and a better community. Now these Muti-Millions can't seem to do that...yet it would be easier for them.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,709,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
lets see if they flee for NJ.
[SIZE=3]Victory for OWS: Governor Cuomo Taxes the Rich and Eases the ...[/SIZE]
19 hours ago ... Victory for OWS: Governor Cuomo Taxes the Rich and Eases the Burden of the
Middle Class. Just months after Occupy Wall St.'s inception, ...
[SIZE=3]Andrew Cuomo's tax-the-rich plan has big promise for New York ...[/SIZE]1 day ago ... Gov. Cuomo displayed superb skills in persuading the Legislature in his first year
to hold the line on spending and taxes in the face of a $10 ...

From your link.

"That said, the governor has yet to get specific about any numbers. So it’s impossible to pass judgment on the wisdom of a plan that could have great appeal for both fairness and fiscal stability."

Clearly your thread title is dishonest. Of course any imagined increase in revenue a millionaires tax may provide assumes people wouldn't leave the state because of being unfairly targeted.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 AM

20,250 posts, read 19,821,292 times
I'm nowhere near convinced that if NJ's political class became awash with even more money than they get now that they would redistribute it wisely and ethically.

I wouldn't bet money that they would all of a sudden get a spurt of fiduciary responsibility if we gave them more to play with.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Small Businesses are the future
i believe they are the present and past as well.

the subject of the thread is that the deficit will be cut in half, will giving the government more money really reduce the deficit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey