Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

"Pee-Yellow"?
Nope!
The background color of NJ's license plates is actually "buff", which is one of the two official state colors.

NJ's official colors date back to the time of The Revolutionary War, when none other than George Washington selected "Buff and Jersey Blue" as the colors for the uniforms of troops from NJ. As a result of this history, those are the official state colors of NJ. If you want confirmation of this factoid, you only have to look as far as the NJ State Flag.

The problem with "Jersey Blue" is that, while it may look good as part of a uniform or other types of clothing, it is too light to form a decent contrast against the Buff background on our license plates. Thus, the black lettering on a Buff background.

You may recall that an earlier generation of NJ license plates featured a Jersey Blue background with Buff letters and numbers. However, the contrast was so poor that police constantly complained about the difficulty of accurately reading the plate numbers, and as a result, that color scheme was abandoned after a few years.

If Buff on a Jersey Blue background was difficult to read from a distance, can you imagine how much more difficult it would be to read Jersey Blue letters and numbers on a Buff background, from a distance?

"Pee-Yellow"?
NOPE!

Wow - good stuff! I knew why they changed from blue/buff back to buff/black, but didn't know the historical details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Haha I like our yellow plates.

I always tell my Maryland friends that their (nice) cars would look much better with Jersey plates. Rather than taking advantage of the Maryland flag (the best in the country in my opinion), they celebrate the most insignificant war in American history:

Instead of this:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

They use this:

(I know it's important to MD history - Francis Scott Key, Ft. Henry, etc but still...blah blah blah)

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM

21 posts, read 66,777 times
NJ has rash drivers, another affectionate comment by out-of-NJ folks... I sometimes agree with that statement.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM

115 posts, read 381,555 times
I personally hate the Guido stereotype most. I'm Italian American and am not a guido, nor have I ever had the desire. Of the first 5 reality shows about NJ, ALL were majority Italian American casts. That's a part of NJ, not the majority.

It's doesn't just give Americans and others in the world a slanted view of our state, people in South Jersey think this too!

When confronted with the Jersey stereotype, most people in South Jersey will simply say: it's those people in the north surrounded by the turnpike and McMansions, end of story.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I personally hate the Guido stereotype most. I'm Italian American and am not a guido, nor have I ever had the desire. Of the first 5 reality shows about NJ, ALL were majority Italian American casts. That's a part of NJ, not the majority.

It's doesn't just give Americans and others in the world a slanted view of our state, people in South Jersey think this too!

When confronted with the Jersey stereotype, most people in South Jersey will simply say: it's those people in the north surrounded by the turnpike and McMansions, end of story
totally agree. the ignorance within our state has to change, otherwise how do we expect others outside to think differently?

i see it on this board - people from South Jersey painting broad strokes about North Jersey, like it's some monolith. "North Jersey gets all the tax money", "high property taxes? must be in that different world - North Jersey". "Friendly people are down here, not like in North Jersey". "Drivers up north are much worse than down here". and SJ ppl claim *we're ignorant*.

the delaware valley is way more congested, parts way more expensive, and people are just as, if not less, friendly, than my neck of the north jersey woods.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:

When confronted with the Jersey stereotype, most people in South Jersey will simply say: it's those people in the north surrounded by the turnpike and McMansions, end of story.
Tsk, tsk, generalizations -- not all of us think so poorly of those people up in North Jersey.

Quote:
I personally hate the Guido stereotype most. I'm Italian American and am not a guido, nor have I ever had the desire.
Don't forget that Jersey Shore is filmed at Seaside Heights, which is . . . ahem . . . located in South Jersey.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 381,555 times
Quote:
Don't forget that Jersey Shore is filmed at Seaside Heights, which is . . . ahem . . . located in South Jersey.
Ahem - No person from the lower 7 counties (Go counterclockwise from Burlington to Atlantic) would ever consider Seaside Heights as South Jersey. Just looking at a map isn't going to do it.

For all intents and purposes Ocean County is culturally North Jersey (or historically EAST Jersey). Find me 5 Eagles fans in Seaside Heights.

On top of that, the housing boom lead to a ton of people from up North going to Ocean County. I bet everyone on here has a relative or friend in Ocean County now!

South Jersey people avoid Seaside Heights, if anything because the AC Expressway is much easier than the backroads through the Pines.

Last edited by Cherno; 12-21-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
totally agree. the ignorance within our state has to change, otherwise how do we expect others outside to think differently?

i see it on this board - people from South Jersey painting broad strokes about North Jersey, like it's some monolith. "North Jersey gets all the tax money", "high property taxes? must be in that different world - North Jersey". "Friendly people are down here, not like in North Jersey". "Drivers up north are much worse than down here". and SJ ppl claim *we're ignorant*.

the delaware valley is way more congested, parts way more expensive, and people are just as, if not less, friendly, than my neck of the north jersey woods.
Haha you are generalizing about being generalized. Not everyone thinks those things.

For the record, there are a few posters on this website who not only generalize about South Jersey but are downright rude.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:

It's interesting to see that the trend has spread beyond Italian kids though - One thing I noticed last time I went to Great Adventure was that everyone looked exactly the same: spiked hair, chin straps, etc. I couldn't tell if they were Italian, Hispanic, or Indian. It's definitely big within the Indian community with "guindians." I read MTV was considering doing a show based around them, don't know what happened but hopefully the concept was shelved ha.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Haha you are generalizing about being generalized. Not everyone thinks those things.

For the record, there are a few posters on this website who not only generalize about South Jersey but are downright rude.
I wasnt generalizing about all SJ, I can back up every statement I made, I was talking about certain posters.

I'm well aware of NNJ ignoramus', that was already addressed earlier in the thread, I was just presenting the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey