Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Oh! Are you an outdoors type of family? Go camping at the Delaware Water Gap. It goes across, well, Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania. (Yes, that is actually a town! ) It's not right around the corner...probably 50-60 minutes, straight out Route 80. But it's gorgeous, and an awful lot of fun. As I said, the town is right "there" so you can pick up munchies or whatnot on your way in. You can do stuff in certain parts of the river, like boating or kyacking, but I don't know how old/big your son is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,669 times
Don't overlook New Jersey's history. The battles fought and won in central New Jersey during the Revolutionary War were key to boosting the Continental Army's morale. Remnants of colonial times abound throughout the state.

Washington Crossing Park, and the Princeton Battlefield are just a couple of places a family can go for an outing and to learn about our country, something that isn't always stressed these days.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...princeton.html

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf.../washcros.html

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...ric/index.html

Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 AM

7 posts, read 15,425 times
You can get more information on this at AboutNewJersey.com

Many things were already suggested, but it really matters what you are interested in doing and what age groups.

There are tons of outdoor activities, history - especially revolutionary war sites, museums - for instance the Newark Museum has the largest collection of Tibetan Art in the world outside of Tibet and the Zimmerli Museum in Newark has the largest collection of dissident Soviet Union art in the world. Both are fantastic collections. We have quaint historic towns - such as Cranberry and Allentown, not to mention Cape May. New Jersey has a full selection of theaters. You can go hiking or canoing, horse back riding. Mountain Creek just announced that they will be building a 60 acre snowboard terrain trail - which will be the largest on the east coast.

I would be posting links to help you - but it seems like until I get to a certain level I am unable post links.

I'm on the board of the Shore Region Tourism Council and the Greater Atlantic City Tourism Council as well as president of AboutNewJersey.com (which is a New Jersey travel website) - if you contact me - I might be able to help you better.

Edit - after looking at the first post date - I see this thread is old - but the recommendations still stand. There are a ton of things in New Jersey. One of the best ways to explore the state is to take the back roads - especially through the Mountain region or the southern New Jersey area.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM

90 posts, read 362,208 times
Edit - after looking at the first post date - I see this thread is old - but the recommendations still stand.

No, it's not an old thread, I just started it yesterday! Please keep the recommendations coming! This is so much fun, I'm reading too fast, I need to write it all down. I am really getting excited.

AGE GROUP: Preschool age, and then anything for just adults. We enjoy the outdoors, A LOT. Restaurants? History? Festivals? Attractions? Yep, whatever! We have a wide variety of interests. We do celebrate Christmas, so keep those coming too! I can't wait to buy chestnuts from the chestnut guy. Are you serious?! That is awesome! (Oh, and yes, JerZ, it is me!)

Last edited by kikanakala; 08-30-2007 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
You mentioned good food- I suggest doing your food shopping in Wegmans. They aren't so much in north jersey but are in central and southern. I love Wegmans-they rule.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
There is a web site that has links to attractions all over New Jersey. Check it out.

New Jersey Index -- Are We There Yet?

If you are in the AAA club, you can also get a free tour book that is very helpful as well.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Christmas Lights at PNC Bank Art Center in Holmdel.

I second Pt. Pleasant Boardwalk-great french fries, fun arcades, cute aquarium. They (Pt. Pleasant) also has a seafood festival-it's on Sat. Sept. 15th this year.
Keansburg also has good kiddie rides, and they are cheaper than Pt. Pleasant.

Hungarian Festival in New Brunswick the first Saturday of June (I know it's passed, but something to remember for next year)

Cross over into PA for Bushkill Falls-beautiful hiking trails surrounded by waterfalls .

Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
As I continue to read everyone's recommendations I really began to appreciate this thread. There's a lot here in NJ that I haven't done and I'm a native so Positive reps to you for posting this thread! Thanks.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Talking Wow

After reading this entire thread, it makes me even HAPPIER to know I live in New Jersey.

I love living in New Jersey !!!!
There are so many thing to do here !!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
Edit - after looking at the first post date - I see this thread is old - but the recommendations still stand.

No, it's not an old thread, I just started it yesterday! Please keep the recommendations coming! This is so much fun, I'm reading too fast, I need to write it all down. I am really getting excited.

AGE GROUP: Preschool age, and then anything for just adults. We enjoy the outdoors, A LOT. Restaurants? History? Festivals? Attractions? Yep, whatever! We have a wide variety of interests. We do celebrate Christmas, so keep those coming too! I can't wait to buy chestnuts from the chestnut guy. Are you serious?! That is awesome! (Oh, and yes, JerZ, it is me!)
Yeah! Totally serious! At least they had him the last few years we were there. We moved in early 2005. So the last time I saw The Chestnut Guy was in 2004. He was dressed very Dickens-esque and was standing outside the candy shop. I don't know if they're planning in having him every year. It was so cute, it was a nice touch.

Outdoorsy, with preschool age children. Shoot, if I were still living there our families would be perfect for one another! We'd be hanging out every day.

Oh. Do you guys like shows? And sports? You'll find that stuff in various places but the biggie local to you would be The Meadowlands. (Well...I guess it would be everybody's biggie but I mean that it's a scooch closer than NYC, and no bridge or tunnel to cross.) I used to see the Jets there, and the Devils. (LOVE hockey.) There's also The Meadowlands Fair every year in the summer...I think that's what it's called, anyway. But it's a huge amusement park, I mean we're talking huge, and loads of fun, and rides for every age group...games...etc. Especially pretty at night with everything lit up.

Oh yeah, and, doy. Atlantic City/the Boardwalk. Stay just there b/c the rest of AC can be scary but I think AC's is the longest Boardwalk in the country or something? Lots to eat, lots to play, fun day for kids, OR, really fun and romantic early to late evening for grownups.

OH, and mid-August to early September, "Sterling Forest," Tuxedo, NY: The Renaissance Faire. I went to that one every year since it opened in, I think (trying to remember) 1986. That's something like a 40-minute ride although you want to go early and avoid the loooooooooooooooooooooooong line of traffic leading past the town, which could back you up 30 more minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey