Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its too bad i would never step foot inside that sewer or id be able to see some of those things.
This is actually the catch 22 problem that is a major reason why Newark faces so many difficulties:

Newark is bad --> people don't go there --> without people going there, it can't improve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 AM

332 posts, read 528,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
This is actually the catch 22 problem that is a major reason why Newark faces so many difficulties:

Newark is bad --> people don't go there --> without people going there, it can't improve
Good because people who don't go to or don't like going to Newark don't care and shouldn't care.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Newark's worst enemies are the cheerleaders who ignore the symptoms and claim there is nothing wrong and that Newark is doing just fine.

One month without a murder in 40 some odd years and right away the new mayor is working wonders.
Who here has said that? We all know the city has issues; no on is saying there's "nothing wrong" so I dunno what are you talking about.

In a near 300,000 city that's been dominated by minorities, poverty, social ills and not enough middle/upper class who pay taxes for 4 decades 0 murders in a month is nothing to dismiss over. You gentrify a good chunk of the place and you would hear the topic of 0 murders in a month more often.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 AM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sounds like the Essex County Jail is finally reaching full capacity.
LOL thanks I spilled my pepsi now

Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I think that the census data is a sign that the city may be on the upswing. Very modest upswing, but upswing nevertheless.
Using myself as a statistic, I moved here in 2008 as it was affordable and don't have kids so I don't care how poor the schools are. In the time that I've lived here property taxes in the suburbs I was going to move to went up, parking for mass transit went up, cost of tickets for mass transit went up and tolls fees for the turnpike and parkway went up and are going up higher.

Home prices with a half way normal commute time to Newark/New York have barely dipped as well but are slowly going down and there is no way after waiting out the real estate bubble I'm going to buy a house only to sell it back later for 10-15% cheaper per year of owning it.. It makes no sense and living in NJ for 30-40 year old first time buyers make no sense either.

The next generation will have it better once NJ's government's bloated structure is flatened and cities like Newark come around but that would be around 2025 which is what Cory Booker's redevelopment plan called Shifting Forward 2025 is targeting but now that most of his staff has left who knows what will happen and by then I will be long gone from NJ.

Plan:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...dLKZbQ&cad=rja

Looking at other choices I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in NJ for example the below house is cheaper and newer than the Condo I bought in Newark and taxes are the same. The school is district is top notch (close to 30% asian), traffic is nice and is close to major corporations and hospitals for work.:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/78...55011225_zpid/

People who say "well you can't get pizza or a bagel like in NJ/NY" are insane would you rather be debt free and have money in your pocket so you can retire early and enjoy life or be a slave wage working paycheck to paycheck and burning yourself out for a slice of pizza?

Last edited by liamnwk; 12-18-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Good because people who don't go to or don't like going to Newark don't care and shouldn't care.
Incredibly naive claim right there. We're all paying for Newark, whether you want to believe it or not. You should absolutely care about the condition of the biggest city in the state.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Incredibly naive claim right there. We're all paying for Newark, whether you want to believe it or not. You should absolutely care about the condition of the biggest city in the state.
im sure that person cares that the government is taking money to throw it into a bottomless pit. but what the person doesnt care about is what happens in newark beyond that. newark should support itself.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im sure that person cares that the government is taking money to throw it into a bottomless pit. but what the person doesnt care about is what happens in newark beyond that. newark should support itself.
This is exactly my point. If the people living in the burbs cared about what happens in Newark, then it would improve and be able to support itself, and therefore give us the possibility of not having to throw money at it anymore.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
This is exactly my point. If the people living in the burbs cared about what happens in Newark, then it would improve and be able to support itself, and therefore give us the possibility of not having to throw money at it anymore.
people living in the burbs cant improve newark, we want our government to stop wasting our money on newark.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"Who here has said that? We all know the city has issues; no on is saying there's "nothing wrong" so I dunno what are you talking about.

In a near 300,000 city that's been dominated by minorities, poverty, social ills and not enough middle/upper class who pay taxes for 4 decades 0 murders in a month is nothing to dismiss over. You gentrify a good chunk of the place and you would hear the topic of 0 murders in a month more often."

Perfect example of what I was taking about.

This is exactly why Newark will stay the disaster it is, especially when held in comparison to what it could be.

Social babble that blames everyone but Newark and the dems that have controlled it since the 40s.

To suggest that one month out of 40 years is a trend and something to celebrate, is a priceless example of why Newark's future is dark and will remain dark.

Its self proclaimed protectors and defenders fend off all real help and just want to keep the tradition of the taxpayers pouring more money into an bottomless pit where the bottom feeder politicians, social activists and 'educators' feast at the sacrifice of Newark residents.

How's that 100 mill gift to the Newark's edu system doing?

Good luck with the class warfare rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey