Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times

Advertisements

Even the people who "dislike" Newark should have a vested interest in seeing it do well.
It makes no sense to do otherwise. Ignoring, dismissing, minimizing NWK's socioeconomic issues prevents New Jersey from having a true, concentrated business hub.

*just adding on to what 66nexus stated*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkboy View Post
People don't go there. Do you live under a rock ? What the hell are you talking about, I live in the Ironbound which draws thousands every week to its bars and restaurants also was at devils game PRU center 12/16/2011 soldout 17,000 plus, was at NJPAC on 12/11/2011 Itzhak Pearlman soldout nearly 3,000 attended. PRU center last year drew 2.3 mil 3rd in USA 8th in world, NJPAC 6th largest performing art center in USA 500.00 plus last year nearly 8 mil since it opened in 1997, Newark museum 400.000 plus last year thats alot of nobodys or maybe your just clueless !!!!
???

We're on the same side dude, read the thread.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 AM

332 posts, read 528,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Even the people who "dislike" Newark should have a vested interest in seeing it do well.
It makes no sense to do otherwise. Ignoring, dismissing, minimizing NWK's socioeconomic issues prevents New Jersey from having a true, concentrated business hub.

It doesn't mean I have to, and I don't want to. There's other places to do business besides Newark. We have over 8 million people in this state. I really need to see the progress being made with Newark before I can talk about how great it is.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post

i want it to do well, but im not willing to go there and i do not support one penny of mine going there to "help" them.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I think it can help. People from the burbs can and do go to cultural attractions, festivals, games, and so on in cities all the time. After going to these events, they go to restaurants for dinner, then go out to the bars and clubs at night. These may seem like small things, but they can have multiplying positive effects, as the city gains a better reputation and more people spend time in it, and therefore spend more money in it. All of these things add up to improve the condition of a city.

So can more time and effort from suburbanites "solve" Newark? Most likely not. But can it help? Absolutely.
this seems to fall on deaf ears. it's certainly part of what can help newark, but what really needs to be done is more addressing of crime, poverty, and education. and no, that's not code for 'spend more money' - the city needs to solve these issues though.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yep, always suburbanites get the blame for city drug problems. Never mind that there's no shortage of drug users within the city (and in Philadelphia, in Camden's case). In the case of Camden and Newark, the city and suburbs really aren't well-connected. The suburbs around Camden are Philadelphia suburbs, and the suburbs around Newark are New York suburbs.
sure, drugs in the city and drugs in the burbs. that cocaine and marijuana has to come from somewhere. it doesn't just appear magically in Hoboken.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
The phrase 'cut off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind when reading some of these posts.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's just an artificial enclave. It does nothing to address the city's problems. Newark's too big for things like that to really change anything.
Never said it addressed the city's problems overall(except maybe bring more tax revenue to the city that wasn't there previously and help spur development in an area that was completely blighted from head to toe). That's like saying the stadiums in Cleveland helped the city overall. Or Jersey Gardens totally fixed Elizabeth, waterfront totally fixed Camden, etc. But it has helped like it or not. My point is you folks are saying people don't go there yet the PAC, Ironbound, Museum and now the Rock prove otherwise.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Never said it addressed the city's problems overall(except maybe bring more tax revenue to the city that wasn't there previously and help spur development in an area that was completely blighted from head to toe). That's like saying the stadiums in Cleveland helped the city overall. Or Jersey Gardens totally fixed Elizabeth, waterfront totally fixed Camden, etc. But it has helped like it or not. My point is you folks are saying people don't go there yet the PAC, Ironbound, Museum and now the Rock prove otherwise.
Don't forget Branch Brook Park where many visitors come in April for the Cherry Blossoms.

And I was reading an article where people are moving into Forest Hills, a nice suburban section in the North Ward of Newark.

Yep that's right people with money are moving into Newark plus that section of Newark draws an ethnically diverse population there.

Or the Arts District on Halsey Street where many art galleries have opened up and artists from NYC are moving here.

Plus the immigrants have done a great job in starting small businesses here, especially the Broadway and Bloomfield Avenue where many stores and restaurants thrive on any given day.

As well as West Indians and Africans in the South Orange Avenue area.

the point is sure Newark has many problems but little thiings like these do help the city a lot.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 PM

147 posts, read 389,690 times
The Newark library is very good (or it was the last time I was there), but the problem of going into Newark for things like that is that it's considerably more of a hassle than using local facilities. You have to drive farther, maybe pay tolls, deal with the traffic, and pay to park anywhere. So I order books through my local library and use local facilities for most things. There really aren't even any good stores in the Newark downtown area anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey