Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM

81 posts, read 195,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
This story is suspicious because Indians don't like cats and dogs. I've got a Indian friend on my street... Patel ... he says Indians mainly like birds that u can keep in a cage and keep clean. Maybe there are some Indians with cats, but not many I'd doubt.

I see why your name is PeterPickle.

What an asinine comment to make. As if it's even possible that an ENTIRE race of people does or doesn't like anything.

Suspicious? Why the heck would anyone make up such a silly story? Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's BS and your friend is lying. My township (West Windsor) has tons of Indians and many of them have dogs (3 on my street, in fact). Just as many as other cultures. A few have cats, but not as many that have dogs.

I don't know of a single Indian with a bird. I know of one with a guinea pig and fish, however.
And the use of the name "Patel", the most common Indian name of all. LOL.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People are warned, if they visit India and especially if they are blond blue-eyed women, that they will be stared at. They are told not to make eye contact and to wear sunglasses. They even are prone to touch.

India is HUGE. There are many different regions, even some with different languages. English unites most of them and the road system, but there are many poor backwater areas. I don't think they are the same cultures, in a way. Look at the divisions between North and South in the US. Can you imagine if we did not share a common language for a very long time and if their were no good road systems connecting us?

Staring is okay - Staring at strangers is a Western cultural taboo that does not carry the same weight here.
INDAX - India Web Site- Travel - Culture

However, Indians are warm hearted and curious people. The down side of this though is that they tend to stare and ask lots of questions, many of them personal in nature.
India Culture Shock - Tips to Help Avoid India Culture Shock
LOL. I commute to NYC every day, and if someone stares at me I usually mutter "WTF are you lookin' at?" (and I've noticed I'm getting louder about it as I get older and have entered my fourth decades of commuting...)

Guess in India I'd be saying that all day long!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM

663 posts, read 1,860,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. I commute to NYC every day, and if someone stares at me I usually mutter "WTF are you lookin' at?" (and I've noticed I'm getting louder about it as I get older and have entered my fourth decades of commuting...)

Guess in India I'd be saying that all day long!
No, you'd be saying "WTF are you touching?"

Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM

303 posts, read 918,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post
I see why your name is PeterPickle.

What an asinine comment to make. As if it's even possible that an ENTIRE race of people does or doesn't like anything.

Suspicious? Why the heck would anyone make up such a silly story? Get real.
.. easy to talk the talk, but can u walk the walk "patsy", can I call u "patsy? Has well as my buddy, I've got official sauces:

Do Hindu/Indian people not like dogs? - Yahoo! Answers

Anyone who knows Indians don't like dogs.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
.. easy to talk the talk, but can u walk the walk "patsy", can I call u "patsy? Has well as my buddy, I've got official sauces:

Do Hindu/Indian people not like dogs? - Yahoo! Answers

Anyone who knows Indians don't like dogs.
Wow, you're really clueless. I've already provided anecdotal evidence that you're theory is incorrect.

But the mere fact that you post a Yahoo question that goes against your own theory is hilarious. Dogs are all over the place in India, and Indians love them.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And the use of the name "Patel", the most common Indian name of all. LOL.
Ironically, I don't have many Patels near where I live. And none of the folks I work with have Patel as a last name.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM

303 posts, read 918,637 times
Quote:
Wow, you're really clueless. I've already provided anecdotal evidence that you're theory is incorrect.

But the mere fact that you post a Yahoo question that goes against your own theory is hilarious. Dogs are all over the place in India, and Indians love them.
I've have presented the facts, u can have an opinion but u cant argue the facts buddy.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I've have presented the facts, u can have an opinion but u cant argue the facts buddy.
You might want to look up the term "facts". Facts have to be true. They can't be your interpretation of what things are like... but have to actually be true.

You keep presenting your imagination as facts. That's not how it works.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Ironically, I don't have many Patels near where I live. And none of the folks I work with have Patel as a last name.
It may depend upon where they come from. I believe Patel means "farmer", and that's it a common name from a particular state in India.

I have four Indians in my office and none of them are Patels, either. However some years ago I received resumes from a staffing firm called Patel, and all five of the resumes were people named Patel. It was funny. And a friend of mine was working in Jersey City in a supermarket while in college. Someone turned in a wallet they'd found, and he looked inside and saw a drivers license with the name Patel and announced over the loudspeaker for Mr. Patel to come to customer service. About eight people showed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey