Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times

Advertisements

I already asked this on NY forum, but didn't get much info. I currently live in NJ and thinking of moving to Brooklyn or Queens. I already got info on Queens. Could someone give me a breakdown on affordable BK neighborhoods? What kind of property would I be able to buy for 300k? I'm Russian so I might consider South BK, not Brighton though, but maybe somewhere nearby like Sheepshead Bay, etc. I like the more suburban setting without the big buildings around me so it would be nice and peaceful and at the same time be close enough to action if need be. Schools don't matter. Commute to Manhattan is not the biggest factor, but a convenient subway route nearby would be a plus. The property taxes are lower than NJ, but NY residents pay extra on income tax, right? Which of these comes out to be a bigger factor? I'd like to know about the residents, atmosphere, property prices and taxes, but all kinds of info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I already asked this on NY forum, but didn't get much info. I currently live in NJ and thinking of moving to Brooklyn or Queens. I already got info on Queens. Could someone give me a breakdown on affordable BK neighborhoods? What kind of property would I be able to buy for 300k? I'm Russian so I might consider South BK, not Brighton though, but maybe somewhere nearby like Sheepshead Bay, etc. I like the more suburban setting without the big buildings around me so it would be nice and peaceful and at the same time be close enough to action if need be. Schools don't matter. Commute to Manhattan is not the biggest factor, but a convenient subway route nearby would be a plus. The property taxes are lower than NJ, but NY residents pay extra on income tax, right? Which of these comes out to be a bigger factor? I'd like to know about the residents, atmosphere, property prices and taxes, but all kinds of info will be appreciated.
You are asking a ton of questions hahaha. I lived in Edgewater, NJ and now living in downtown Brooklyn.

- 300k will not get you much and affordable usually translates to older building, house, and not a great public transportation, distance to city, not as 'hip' or 'safe' areas of Brooklyn. You are definitely looking at further out in Brooklyn and more like 45-1 hour ride each wya to city.

- Finances: NYC property taxes are lower than NJ but as you noted, you will need to pay NYC income tax and generally everything is taxed higher ranging from gas, cellphone, utilities, etc. Only way to figure that out is do spend your time and do some math in spreadsheet somewhere, and gathering the needed data from online such as google/nyc.gov or making some calls. Easiest way to get a good sense of it is to see what the property tax will be for 300k in NJ vs. NYC and then your income tax for NJ vs. NYC to see what the difference is. I'm sure you can do that math on that and follow-up to get the actual numbers on your own.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
The property taxes are lower than NJ, but NY residents pay extra on income tax, right? Which of these comes out to be a bigger factor? I'd like to know about the residents, atmosphere, property prices and taxes, but all kinds of info will be appreciated.
it depends on how much you earn. more than likely, the property tax in nj would cost more than the additional city income tax. but there are other taxes like sales that are higher in nyc. if you can do without a car, that will save you significant cheddar cheese. i lived in sheepshead bay for about 4 years. where i lived was relatively quiet. not much going on, plenty of chinese and pizza places. im not a big fan of that lifestyle, i like where i live now much more. but its probably better for you than it is for me.

oh and 300k in sheepshead bay will get you a pretty nice apartment. wont go nearly as far as you get into more desirable areas closer to manhattan.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it depends on how much you earn. more than likely, the property tax in nj would cost more than the additional city income tax. but there are other taxes like sales that are higher in nyc. if you can do without a car, that will save you significant cheddar cheese. i lived in sheepshead bay for about 4 years. where i lived was relatively quiet. not much going on, plenty of chinese and pizza places. im not a big fan of that lifestyle, i like where i live now much more. but its probably better for you than it is for me.

oh and 300k in sheepshead bay will get you a pretty nice apartment. wont go nearly as far as you get into more desirable areas closer to manhattan.
Good to know.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM

O Yea, I forgot to mention-not interested in co-op condos, only regular. Could I get a townhouse anywhere?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
O Yea, I forgot to mention-not interested in co-op condos, only regular. Could I get a townhouse anywhere?
thats a good call because coops are a pain in the butt. it took me so long to sell my place because of that issue. unfortunately, that seems to be the majority of available apartments and you do have to pay more for a regular apartment.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Yea, I figure its not worth it. What about other nearby areas like Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Midwood, Bay Ridge?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
For 300k? Good luck...

You can do homework by yourself to figure it out, use NY times real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey