U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,471,226 times

Advertisements

I don't remember ever having a bad experience with a dog. I think they should be allowed to roam freely. They are like big kids. A neighbor's collie, years back, would put her front paws on the side of my house and peer in the window barking for my shepherd to come out and play. Sigrun would soon be on the other side of the window, barking back. Each morning I would open the front door to let my dog out and they would just romp off together. It was so cute.

That was years back and they would not be allowed to do that today.

I think, when guns are so hard to get to own, there should not be laws restricting people's ability to have dogs. Dog poop was never a big problem for me. I know I must have stepped in it at some time, but cannot remember.

Anyway, things change, and much as I dislike it, I would obey the law and keep my dog leashed while outside. After a while I fenced in my entire backyard and allowed the dogs to play back there.

Apologize to your neighbors, fence in your property, take the dog for walks with a leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM

436 posts, read 754,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What if the new neighbors had small children that were afraid of dogs? Would you just tell your new neighbor you are going to have to keep your kids in the house for a month or so until I train my dog.

Why is everyone here dealing with what-ifs when we know the specific situation of the OP? This thread is about the OP's situation, not every situation out there and what you think people should do in those other situations.

Oy. Everything has to be blown out of proportion. Sensationalism everywhere. There's no reason left in the world.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:47 PM

17,579 posts, read 36,997,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Why is everyone here dealing with what-ifs when we know the specific situation of the OP? This thread is about the OP's situation, not every situation out there and what you think people should do in those other situations.

Oy. Everything has to be blown out of proportion. Sensationalism everywhere. There's no reason left in the world.
For starters we have one side of a story. Rarely is that the whole truth. How about you answer my question. My guess is it doesn't fit in nicely with your desired outcome.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,302,341 times
Quote:
I think they should be allowed to roam freely.
I really don't feel like picking up everyone else's dogs crap off my lawn. My neighbors don't allow their dogs to run free on other homeowners property. they can easily take them out to one of the many fields and let them run. A strange dogs invading my dog's turf would not fair very well.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
For starters we have one side of a story. Rarely is that the whole truth. How about you answer my question. My guess is it doesn't fit in nicely with your desired outcome.

Your question was hypothetical, while my posts are and have always been only directed towards the OP's statement of the facts.

Yes, there are always two sides of the story. Why do you believe the OPs is false? My guess is it doesn't fit in nicely with your desired outcome.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Your question was hypothetical, while my posts are and have always been only directed towards the OP's statement of the facts.

Yes, there are always two sides of the story. Why do you believe the OPs is false? My guess is it doesn't fit in nicely with your desired outcome.
And still you won't answer the question. I gave an answer to the OP based on what he stated. No speculation. Put your dog on a leash.

Conversations evolve. People throw out ideas. This is normal.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
And still you won't answer the question. I gave an answer to the OP based on what he stated. No speculation. Put your dog on a leash.

Conversations evolve. People throw out ideas. This is normal.

Your question:
"What if the new neighbors had small children that were afraid of dogs?"

Note the "What if". That's a hypothetical question. It calls for speculation.

Anyway, clearly scanning my previous posts is too hard for you so I'll quote myself for you, to sate your desire to know my answer to your hypothetical question which calls for speculation of the OP's situation.

"Even though I own dogs doesn't mean I think everyone likes them or that they should be allowed everywhere. Personally, I always leash my dogs and never take them where dogs are not allowed."

There, an answer, my Christmas present to you this year.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Your question:
"What if the new neighbors had small children that were afraid of dogs?"

Note the "What if". That's a hypothetical question. It calls for speculation.

Anyway, clearly scanning my previous posts is too hard for you so I'll quote myself for you, to sate your desire to know my answer to your hypothetical question which calls for speculation of the OP's situation.

"Even though I own dogs doesn't mean I think everyone likes them or that they should be allowed everywhere. Personally, I always leash my dogs and never take them where dogs are not allowed."

There, an answer, my Christmas present to you this year.
My question didn't call for any speculation about the OP's situation. It was clearly a hypothetical that applied to any situation. Many people have kids. Many people have dogs. Again, normal conversation. And again normal flow of conversation to answer questions without assuming everyone goes back and studies your previous posts.

There is a reason the majority of people don't feel the way you do.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:07 PM

21,466 posts, read 27,204,459 times
i dont really care what someone's individual situation is. i dont want people allowing their dogs to roam freely. i do not trust other people's judgment that their dog is safe to let roam freely, and i also cant know that a free dog is free because an owner knows they are safe. it could be an aggressive dog that has escaped his owner's yard.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 PM

14,775 posts, read 12,344,723 times
Quote:
Interesting post. It implies you don't have a fenced in yard (unless it's invisible fencing) since a dog could potentially run into your yard. So either you always leash your Akita or you've trained it to stay within your property boundaries while unleashed. If the latter, I'd think you'd have some understanding of the OP's situation, especially if you've trained this into an Akita, a notoriously difficult to train breed. If the former, you have a potentially violent breed running around your yard with no protection to the general public if your dog decides to bolt and attack other animals. Unpredictability is also a part of the Akita breed.

I just don't see how you can judge. Why is it everyone expect overnight changes in an animal?
Because people come before animals, even beloved pets. I have noticed the people who expect people to adjust to their animals are always those who train them poorly (and BTW the way in which the OP is attempting to "re-train" his dog is wildly inappropriate just in terms of training).

My yard is not fully fenced in. I trained my dog using a long lead and she never made it out of my yard. Even when she was fully trained when I got a new dog, he went on a long line too until he knew his boundaries.

It is MY responsibility to keep my dogs on my property. No one should have to adjust to my animals outside of my family just as I should not have to adjust to anyone else's animals. END OF STORY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or