Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM

88,237 posts, read 84,175,053 times

Advertisements

Ugh, the train is infested with daytripper people loaded with children and bags. I guess it's too much to expect that they would plan their trips on the off-peak hours so as not to screw up the normal commuters. Then they put their bags on the seats so no one can sit next to them and pretend you don't exist when you've boarded the train and are walking down the aisle looking for a seat.

Lol, and I am on the designated "quiet car" and the guy in front of me is bright red and looks as if he's going to explode because some nasally-voiced bimbo has been yapping on her cell since Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,788,126 times
LOL , well at least its not the drunk train or the Meadowlands train...it could always be worse.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,038,935 times
It is public transportation. No one should have to plan their commute around anyone else. Of course they should follow the rules and use good manners. But plenty of "regulars" are guilty of that as well.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:11 PM

831 posts, read 2,820,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
they put their bags on the seats so no one can sit next to them at.
I do this, because everytime someone sits next to me, they pull out a cell phone only to have a conversation about nothing. If it's not that, it's someone crinkling their newspaper, or eating awful smelling food. I just like to sit alone, I was so desparate once, I lied and said the seat was taken and the person was in the restroom, when I was really alone. So many people are inconsiderate on the trains, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I do this, because everytime someone sits next to me, they pull out a cell phone only to have a conversation about nothing. If it's not that, it's someone crinkling their newspaper, or eating awful smelling food. I just like to sit alone, I was so desparate once, I lied and said the seat was taken and the person was in the restroom, when I was really alone. So many people are inconsiderate on the trains, you gotta do what you gotta do.
What a selfish commuter you are , what if the train is standing room only? People like you should not be using public transit , if you want to be alone drive to work.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,140,575 times
Quote:
You're the kind of commuter who ought to get arrested and thrown off the train at Brick Church. You want the seat to yourself, drive a car. Other commuters should get the same chance at a seat as you.

Oh yeah, and the monsters who took over the midsection of one of the multi-level cars and were running around screaming the whole trip needed to be thrown off too. Fortunately I saw it coming and was way down the other end of the car when they started going nuts; I could still hear them.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,041,109 times
I ride the Northeast Corridor line regularly. It has it's peaks of folks going to the city and/or airport.

I NEVER expect anyone I don't know to plan their trip around me nor do I plan it around them.

I always request anyone with bags on the seat to move it so I can sit if there is limited or no other seating available. If they refuse, I just request the conductor to tell them to make the seat available for me. Most conductors force the rule (I don't know if it's official or not) that bags should be on the overhead compartments and not on the seats.

Anyone talking on the phone in the quiet car will hear from me. I've seen many people yell at others for this. Even the conductor. I appreciate the quiet cars. What a blessing from NJTransit.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is public transportation. No one should have to plan their commute around anyone else. Of course they should follow the rules and use good manners. But plenty of "regulars" are guilty of that as well.

You are missing the point, which is that I am a cranky commuter who has been schlepping to work by train for more than three decades now and that's my train, dammit. It occurred to me that some of these kids might be going to work with Mom or Dad, as my daughter did with me sometimes during school breaks when she was little. I really don't mind the kids and I don't care if they are noisy--I can block out just about any noise.

I just think they should show a little more humility knowing that they are interlopers on the Mighty Queen's train. And take your damn bags and crap off the seat next to you when you see that all those people are standing.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
People on public transportation can be annoying, but they paid a ticket for that seat. Your bag didn't.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is public transportation. No one should have to plan their commute around anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I NEVER expect anyone I don't know to plan their trip around me nor do I plan it around them.
Geez, people, it's NEW JERSEY. Have a sense of humor, will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey