U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 4,351 times
Default Family visiting Seaside Heights in May Looking for Advice

I am taking my teenage daughter and friend to Seaside Heights so they can see and touch the locale of one of their favorite TV shows (Jersey Shore). I'm also bringing my wife and Son (12 years old). I am thinking of going the weekend of the 25th (a week before memorial day weekend). I am doing this in the hopes that we can experience all there is to experience at Seaside... without having to deal with all the traffic and madness. We will be staying in Princeton, so lodging is not an issue (we are spending a few days and also planning on going into NYC as well). I would most likely want to drive in to Seaside on Friday Morning and be off the Boardwalk by 6 or 7pm (the latest). Is this a good idea? I've been to Seaside many times as a kid... and the things that stick out is the heavy traffic (especially during the evening) and the hooligans that descend on the boardwalk during the evening hours. Ideally, I'd like to avoid them both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
PDD

5,391 posts, read 4,594,045 times
If you go the week before Memorial day there will not be very much to see on the boardwalk. However you will pretty much have the beach all to yourself.
You will be able to point out the Beachcomer to your kids and tell them that's where those jerks you see on TV like to hang out.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time.

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:55 PM

I sort of expected a sarcastic or caustic response. It's not me that cares about the TV show... I'm doing this for my daughter and her friend. I was raised in NJ... First in Linden/Rahway, then in Sussex County. I've lived in Virginia now for 20 some years. I don't have much reason to go back. I no longer have any ties there. To be honest though, there are some parts I do miss. But Seaside isn't one of them :-) Overall, I think the state gets a bad rap... People would be surprised to know how gorgeous the north west part of the state is. That said, nothing against Jersey... but there are a million other places I'd rather spend a weekend.

So there won't be any midway games or rides going the weekend prior to memorial day weekend?

Unread 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM

2,530 posts, read 5,985,350 times
I believe that weekend IS Memorial Day weekend.

Unread 01-13-2012, 06:38 AM

2,863 posts, read 7,199,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you go the week before Memorial day there will not be very much to see on the boardwalk. However you will pretty much have the beach all to yourself.
You will be able to point out the Beachcomer to your kids and tell them that's where those jerks you see on TV like to hang out.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time.
If they go the week before Memorial Day and the weather is good, Seaside will be packed. I start going to the beach in early May on good days. Remember that many college kids are already out of school.

Unread 01-13-2012, 07:06 AM

1,295 posts, read 868,333 times
That does look like Memorial Day weekend. If so and unless it snows , Friday will be busy but maybe not yet mobbed. As you probably know, NJ Shore weather varies a lot at this time of year. If it is hot and sunny it will be very busy. Getting there early and leaving early are good, as there are definitely day, night (and late night) crowds.

With the plan to leave by early evening it might be tolerable and even campy fun at times, depending on unknowns and your tolerance. There will be a lot of young people of all kinds. They will be interested in other young people. You will experience some of 'the scene' but, especially early in the day and weekend, it isn't bad.

Unless you are within a few years of graduating from HS, this is one of the weekends when not staying right in town is usually a good idea.

Last edited by jimazee; 01-13-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Unread 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
PDD

5,391 posts, read 4,594,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sussex88 View Post
I sort of expected a sarcastic or caustic response. It's not me that cares about the TV show... I'm doing this for my daughter and her friend. I was raised in NJ... First in Linden/Rahway, then in Sussex County. I've lived in Virginia now for 20 some years. I don't have much reason to go back. I no longer have any ties there. To be honest though, there are some parts I do miss. But Seaside isn't one of them :-) Overall, I think the state gets a bad rap... People would be surprised to know how gorgeous the north west part of the state is. That said, nothing against Jersey... but there are a million other places I'd rather spend a weekend.

So there won't be any midway games or rides going the weekend prior to memorial day weekend?
If your taking your kids to Seaside to enjoy the rides and beach it won't be as busy as it is during the middle of summer.

If your taking your daughter and friend to see where the Jersey Shore "actors" hang out it will be at the bars where your kids are not allowed.

Everybody has their own ideas of what's good for their kids, for me it was a vacation from NJ to Williamsburg VA

Unread 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM

331 posts, read 771,993 times
Memorial Day is May 25th, 2012. That particular weekend is not at all a good time to do what you want to do.

The weekend before, if the weather is nice, should be ideal for what you wish to accomplish. The crowds start to build somewhat, especially if it is really warm beach weather. Parking is a always an expensive pain, but that's Seaside.

The rides and arcades will be up and functional, and the Boardwalk will be family-friendly during the day and early evening. Your plan to leave at that hour is a good one, although I've not heard of too many problems off-season. Unless you've had your fill of pizza and ice cream, scout out a nice restaurant elsewhere for dinner and call it a day. There are plenty of them a short ride away with ample free parking, such as in Lavallette two towns to the north.

Rhys

Unread 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the follow-up response... My Teenage daughter and her friend are most interested in seeing the boardwalk that they see on TV, Riding the rides, playing midway games and seeing that silly T-Shirt Shop LOL! Bars and the like are obviously out of the question.

Unread 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,356,706 times
Since your kids did not grow up in NJ, I can see the novelty of visiting Seaside and scout ingout the Jersey Shore spots. Us NJersyeans might think this boring, but it is probably intriguing for those who've never experienced it. Plus they're teenagers.

That said, what's the harm in looking at some spots popularized in TV, take some photos, and buy a souvenir t-shirt?

Be sure to enjoy some boardwalk food for lunch but (as suggested) seek a nicer place for dinner.

The homemade fudge is a great take-home souvenir and gift for friends at home.

BTW, I really enjoy t-shirt shops on the Shore. I usually get a t-shirt made (no, not the cheesy tacky slogans) and might get a hoodie made this year.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey