Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM

105 posts, read 514,837 times

Advertisements

I got this Euro plate a while ago for my car and I really want it on my front bumper, but Idk where I should put the existing NJ plate. I thought I could suction cup the license plate onto the windshield but idk. So what do you guys think? And can the cops pull me over for having it there? (I've seen BMWs and VWs have them here in NJ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
I got this Euro plate a while ago for my car and I really want it on my front bumper, but Idk where I should put the existing NJ plate. I thought I could suction cup the license plate onto the windshield but idk. So what do you guys think? And can the cops pull me over for having it there? (I've seen BMWs and VWs have them here in NJ)
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Technically as long they are clean and visible at all times, rear plate illuminated to make it visible from 50 feet away at night.

But cops could and will pull you over (just matter of time) and you'll probably end up having to negotiate with prosecutor to void your ticket which is annoyance not needed.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Read NJ 39:3-33.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
39:3-33.

The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.

That if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle;

So no, it wouldn't be. To place it horizontal would block the windshield.

Windshield = front. Probably not is it doesn't state "Facing Front" in the statute.. For a short time if the vehicle has front end damage. Probably. Full time...don't think so.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Read NJ 39:3-33.
To save you the trouble of reading the statute, the quick answer is that yes it is a violation to place your front license plate in the windshield and have a "Euro" plate installed.

Your license plate must be "horizontal" and installed so that it sits no less than 12" and no more than 48" from the ground and it must be displayed on the "front" of the vehicle. Placing your plate in your front windshield violates at least two of the above and possibly all three depending on the height of the vehicle. It carries a $100 penalty.

Additionally, Euro plates can fall under the statute for "displaying a fictitious number" which carries a rather hefty penalty of $500.

Ultimately this is akin to the tint laws. It's something you will get away with 99% of the time, but that 1% is the time an officer takes notice, has nothing better to do and you have given him an instant excuse to pull you over and write a ticket.

I've owned several Euro cars and was in the Euro scene for a while and while I never "got" the point of a Euro plate I know quite a few people who ran them and quite a few people who had been hassled over them.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I've owned several Euro cars and was in the Euro scene for a while and while I never "got" the point of a Euro plate I know quite a few people who ran them and quite a few people who had been hassled over them.
My take is...congradz, you are not a hipster (seriously).

euro plate = hipster = trying to stand out as independent or subculture when you're really not

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Placing that plate on your windshield will guarantee you will be pulled over even if it does not block your view. Got pulled over for corvette harassment when I had a couple of graduation tassles hanging from the rearview mirror.

Safety is often used as an excuse to fund local municipalities or government programs.

Of course no one has a problem with one of those giant gold shields placed in the left corner of the windshields.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
Move to PA, DE or FL or some other state where front tags are not required.

I know a guy who lived in California ( where front plates are required) and he took the front one off becuase it didnt look cool. He was trying to make some extra cash and transported a bunch of marijuana to Nebraska. He got pulled over for no front tag... and almost went to prison for a long time... Got off on a technicality

But even if you are not transporting drugs... not having a front tag is just another reason to get pulled over and maybe find that empty beer can from last summer or that marijuana seed from back in the day

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
My take is...congradz, you are not a hipster (seriously).

euro plate = hipster = trying to stand out as independent or subculture when you're really not
lol, let's be different by going out and buying V-dubs. Then we'll all get Euro plates, slap on some BBS rims, dress the same and rock out to the same music...yeah, then we'll all be different and hip.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM

105 posts, read 514,837 times
random question, why does NJ require front plates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey