U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 69,839 times
Default NJ Suburbs with Public Pre-K

Hi,

Among the suburbs of Short Hills/Millburn, Summit, Chatham, Tenafly, Demarest, Ridgewood and Westfield (chosen because they have good to acceptable commutes to mid-town and WTC coupled with top notch school districts) are there any with public pre-K programs and if there are, are spots enough for demand or are they allocated/rationed through some selection/lottery process?

My sister-in-law recently moved to Glen Ridge, and they have recently started a full-day pre-K for ~$6,000/mo which is obviously well below private pre-school options which can cost $12-$15K per month.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 AM

712 posts, read 1,213,192 times
$6,000 a month?!? 12K-15K per month for private Pre-K? Am I reading this right? It costs more to send a kid to Pre-K than to Harvard? Anyone who spends that kind of money on Pre-K has way too much money.

Hire a nanny for $10 an hour and buy some classic Sesame Street DVDs.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 AM
bay

424 posts, read 1,771,179 times
normally full day private PreK costs 1000-1100 per month in suburs. Our town has public preK, but only 4 half days per week. I think it costs 200 something per month. However, 4 half days schedule is not good for working parents so we still choose to send to private. Now my son is in K which is 5 half days and I still need to do wrap around program with private after school which cost 1100 per month

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 AM

26,181 posts, read 18,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
$6,000 a month?!? 12K-15K per month for private Pre-K? Am I reading this right? It costs more to send a kid to Pre-K than to Harvard? Anyone who spends that kind of money on Pre-K has way too much money.

That has to be a typo. And the statement I bolded is hilarious and right on the money, pun intended. Spending that kind of money on the "education" of a kid who isn't even 5 years old would be ridiculous. You could get just as good a result from taking an hour a day to read to your own kid.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 AM

12 posts, read 16,876 times
Quote:

My god, I'm a prek teacher. I should go open up a school there!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Jeez, it was an obvious mistake, I meant per year, mea culpa! Now can we get back to my actual question?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM

84 posts, read 142,513 times
Default NJ Suburbs with Public Pre-k

Why aren't you considering Glen Ridge? I have a colleague who is Indian who lives with her kids in Glen Ridge and she is very happy there. I know she has a substantial network of Indian friends in the area.

If you would like to speak with her directly about Glen Ridge, the schools and the Indian population there, I'm sure she would be happy to talk with you. You can send me a direct message if you would like to contact her.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap02 View Post
Why aren't you considering Glen Ridge? I have a colleague who is Indian who lives with her kids in Glen Ridge and she is very happy there. I know she has a substantial network of Indian friends in the area.

If you would like to speak with her directly about Glen Ridge, the schools and the Indian population there, I'm sure she would be happy to talk with you. You can send me a direct message if you would like to contact her.
Thanks, I sincerely appreciate the offer to help. As it turns out, my sister-in-law is Indian (but married to a White Canadian) and I have visited them a fair bit in Glen Ridge. It is a very pretty suburb and is definitely convenient from a commute point of view but it is "too suburban" for me (too quiet, no downtown) and from what I saw (and statistics on school enrollment) it is pretty non-diverse. As you know it is cheek-by-jowl with Montclair and Bloomfield. I saw some negative attitudes to those neighboring suburbs that were not my cup of tea, and speak to the social conservatism of the town.

I also think that while the school system is decent by NJ standards, it is definitely a cut below the likes of Short Hills, Tenafly, and Ridgewood. It is comparable to Summit and maybe Chatham, but those towns have better downtowns and lower taxes. The taxes in Glen Ridge are a bit ridiculous and I think they reflect its small population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey