U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 71,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijinx View Post
not that it matters, but to some it does, but marlboro is mainly jewish. i don't care about religion, but some do, so i thought i'd throw that out there as an FYI. the rest of the towns are maintly white catholic or protestant. again- i don't want to start a religion tyrade, but some people do care about these things, and some dont. people are people, right? :-)
Not to get into a tirade, but I don't think that's really accurate. I have no problem with your statement, I'm just not sure if it's correct.

There is a much larger Jewish population than in the US in general but anecdotally, it seems like there are still more Christian people than Jewish people.

Looking at census data for race(I couldn't find anything on religion), Italians(21.4%), Irish(7.4%), Asians(11.4%), African Americans(2.1%) and Hispanic/Latino(2.3%) make up 44.6% of the population. I'd say those populations are fairly unlikely to be Jewish.

Even if you assume that all the Polish(10.2%), Russian(10.3%), and German(6%) people are Jewish then that's only 26.5% although those groups are probably less likely to be Jewish than the others to be non-Jewish.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions and there are overlaps(~110% reported classifications), but based on that data, I find it hard to believe that Jewish people make up the majority. It may be as high as 1/3 though which would be 10 times the national percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM

244 posts, read 735,420 times
Actually Geminijynx is accurate, the majority of Marlboro has been Jewish for many years. Maybe in very recent years that has changed.

It's great that anyone can pull statistics up on their computer, but it's also nice that at City-Data you get people who live in the area that can give you first-hand experience with places.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Can I ask if either of you actually live there? I live in Manalapan and from my experience with Marlboro, there's more Jewish people than in Manalapan but it doesn't seem like a majority to me.

edit: or just ignore me because I"m derailing the thread. Sorry about that

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 AM

My cousins have lived their for about thirty five years, and I have had numerous friends who have lived there, and I drive through, shop, dine, and work out frequently there (and I have been doing so for about thirty years). Also, I attend Mommy and me classes and gymnastics classes with my children in Marlboro. Good enough?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,120,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisislee View Post
Can I ask if either of you actually live there? I live in Manalapan and from my experience with Marlboro, there's more Jewish people than in Manalapan but it doesn't seem like a majority to me.

edit: or just ignore me because I"m derailing the thread. Sorry about that
I lived in Manalapan until July 06, not far from the Marlboro Border. Marlboro may have more of a Jewish population, but I found Manalapan to be pretty close as most of my friends there were Jewish. Manalapan also has a large Italian population also, which I fit into. That just never really mattered to me. I went to NJ to buy in Marlboro and bought in Manalapan because the frontage on the homes was bigger.
Where I grew up in Lawrence, LI the population was about 90% Jewish, which you don't find to often.
Diane

Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 67,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
My cousins have lived their for about thirty five years, and I have had numerous friends who have lived there, and I drive through, shop, dine, and work out frequently there (and I have been doing so for about thirty years). Also, I attend Mommy and me classes and gymnastics classes with my children in Marlboro. Good enough?
Summer,

We did notice that there was a large Jewish population in Marlboro when I was looking for houses in the area and several people have told us as much. No problem at all for us. People are people Actually the vibe I got from the locals while eating lunch at two local restaurants was great! Everyone was so friendly and everyone seemed to know everyone else! My only concern would be as a Catholic family we would stand out and feel out of place??? Will there be other families that celebrate Christmas in my childrens' classes??? I did notcie there are Catholic churches in both Marlboro and Manalapan, so there must few more of us Catholics in the area!

Also, I have an 18 month. Are there any good mommy and me groups and gyms not to be missed??? Once my son starts school I want to sign her up for lots of activities to keep her busy!

Thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM

23 posts, read 67,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijinx View Post
to NB anything that requires route 18 is a traffic disaster. same thing with 287 north to exit 10 (easton ave). you do NOT want to be going NORTH on 18 in the AM or 18 south in the PM. i used to live and work in somerset (exit 10 off 287, or the easton ave exit on 18 north)- i worked with a guy who commuted from Red Bank- exit 109 off the parkway. it used to take him ATLEAST an hour. it is absolute traffic chaos, gridlock, no exaggeration. i lived and worked off exit 10 off 287 and it would take me over 30 minutes to drive 3 miles and that is no joke.

The towns you suggested are all nice, but your commute will literally be a disaster.
Thanks for the info! My husband has to be in work b/t 7 and 7:30 so he leaves pretty early. Is 18 a little better before 7 am??? Everyone told us that 1 from Princeton would be a nightmare and it turned out to be a breeze!

Is there a back way to get to NB from Marlboro that would bypass 18???

Thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 PM

I've never found a great way to get around rt 18 traffic. Ryders lane can get you around a bunch of it. Rt 527 can also be useful. But they're not great solutions and don't necessarily save time but do keep you from sitting bumper to bumper. Also in New Brunswick, try to avoid George St.. Suydam St can be good for avoiding that.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
Summer,

We did notice that there was a large Jewish population in Marlboro when I was looking for houses in the area and several people have told us as much. No problem at all for us. People are people Actually the vibe I got from the locals while eating lunch at two local restaurants was great! Everyone was so friendly and everyone seemed to know everyone else! My only concern would be as a Catholic family we would stand out and feel out of place??? Will there be other families that celebrate Christmas in my childrens' classes??? I did notcie there are Catholic churches in both Marlboro and Manalapan, so there must few more of us Catholics in the area!

Also, I have an 18 month. Are there any good mommy and me groups and gyms not to be missed??? Once my son starts school I want to sign her up for lots of activities to keep her busy!

Thanks
I only was responding to the question of demographic, I didn't in any way mean it to reflect it as anything but that. That should never be an issue.
St. Gabriel's is a Catholic Church in Marlboro.

They have a lot of things to do for little ones! There are a few gymnastics centers in Marlboro (Morganville). The Mommy and Me gymnastic classes at Little Gym on Rt. 34 is age-appropriate and fun for little ones. Jonas which is on Tennant Road in Marlboro is another huge gymnastics place. I did this when my son was 18 months, but I didn't like it as much for that age group.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:39 PM

5,907 posts, read 14,774,473 times
The commute from Robbinsville to New Brunswick is not bad, just take Rt. 130 north all the way. It's not half as congested as Rts. 1 or 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey