U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
 
687 posts, read 2,234,559 times
Reputation: 137

Advertisements

Quote:
We did notice that there was a large Jewish population in Marlboro when I was looking for houses in the area and several people have told us as much. No problem at all for us. People are people Actually the vibe I got from the locals while eating lunch at two local restaurants was great! Everyone was so friendly and everyone seemed to know everyone else! My only concern would be as a Catholic family we would stand out and feel out of place??? Will there be other families that celebrate Christmas in my childrens' classes??? I did notcie there are Catholic churches in both Marlboro and Manalapan, so there must few more of us Catholics in the area!

Also, I have an 18 month. Are there any good mommy and me groups and gyms not to be missed??? Once my son starts school I want to sign her up for lots of activities to keep her busy!
We're moving to Marlboro in the spring, and we're Catholic, so add us to that list. From what I'd gather, Catholics are the largest population given the huge Italian contingent. A lot of Jewish families too, but not even close to a majority.

That said, when my Middletown born, raised, and forever loyal M-I-L found out we were moving to Marlboro, she said, "You know it is mostly Jewish, right?" As if it would matter.

I'm taking my 16 month old to My Gym in Manalapan starting tomorrow. Previously she did Gymboree on Route 9 in Old Bridge.

Last edited by juliann1977; 09-03-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: NJ
11,682 posts, read 21,240,239 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
We're moving to Marlboro in the spring, and we're Catholic, so add us to that list. From what I'd gather, Catholics are the largest population given the huge Italian contingent. A lot of Jewish families too, but not even close to a majority.

That said, when my Middletown born, raised, and forever loyal M-I-L found out we were moving to Marlboro, she said, "You know it is mostly Jewish, right?" As if it would matter.

I'm taking my 16 month old to My Gym in Manalapan starting tomorrow. Previously she did Gymboree on Route 9 in Old Bridge.
i think a lot of posters are mistaking "majority" with "more than the average NJ town", kwim? with the exception of lakewood and maybe teaneck and highland park, I doubt any town has a majority of jewish residents.

and i agree, what does it matter? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 PM
 
218 posts, read 320,077 times
Reputation: 74
Dont know where you got this list of cities but all of them will be hell going to NB. You really have to have strong reason moving to Marlboro or middletown, neither of them has as good school system that matches Plainsboror, neither is convinient from any roads, rt 18, rt 9 both are nightmares and Marlboro is stuck in between two. SOme realtors who have interest in Marlboro or Middletown are reccommending you it otherwise its completel off the way to NB. Same goes for Robbinsville, somebody mention going from rt 130 is easy, yes rt 130 is one of the least congested road in central jersey, but it still would cost you atleast 45 minutes. Just crossing Rennaisance area
takes 10 minutes, then you have rt 18 renovation. Only town that is convinient to you with decent schools is North Brunswick. But beware schools are not near to any of the towns you mentioned. Otherwise North Brus. is excellent.
If you dont believe me try driving from Marlboro to any where in central NJ, rt. 18 and rt 9 will make you crazy, not just weekdays but even on weekend. Middletown is further located, I dont see any reason moving there if you want commute less than an hour. With plainsboro you are talking 40 minutes commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 AM
 
222 posts, read 671,695 times
Reputation: 83
agree, Plainsboro is going to be 40-45 minutes at least and there will be days coming home when its more. Best bet for plainsboro is route 130 to route 1 going north and reverse that going home. You can also take the turnpike at 8a to 9.

Be warned though, there is a large Asian and Indian population in Plainsboro and it is growing. Its not unusual to live in a house or condo next to 2 or 3 Indian families crammed into one house/condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 AM
 
23 posts, read 67,702 times
Reputation: 12
Thanks again for all the input.

My husband must leave at a great time because his commute up route 1 to NB from Princeton Junction is only 30 minutes each way. Plainsboro is a little closer so if we move there the commute will be less. He tested the 130 commute to Robbinsville and that was a breeze too. He's going to do Marlboro this week.

Right now we're leaning towards Marlboro due to the schools, neighborhoods, rec programs, and lower taxes. Robbinsville is a beautiful town with an easy commute to NB but the taxes are really high for the houses we are looking at. We are still thinking about Plainsboro but are not sure what types of things there are for the kids to do here. Anyone have any input on rec programs, parks, etc. Does Plainsboro have a town pool???

I'd like to hear from anyone who actually does the commute to NB from Marlboro as to what it is like.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 6,122,854 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
Thanks for the info! My husband has to be in work b/t 7 and 7:30 so he leaves pretty early. Is 18 a little better before 7 am??? Everyone told us that 1 from Princeton would be a nightmare and it turned out to be a breeze!

Is there a back way to get to NB from Marlboro that would bypass 18???

Thanks
Not Really. 18 is the best way. I worked on Rt 18, and got on at the Marlboro exit and at times the traffic was impossible, other times ok.
What development are you looking at in Marlboro? I would know if it was always gas heat.
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
 
687 posts, read 2,234,559 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Right now we're leaning towards Marlboro due to the schools, neighborhoods, rec programs, and lower taxes.
Is the Marlboro tax rate based on the expected reassessed values or current rates? We're building, and they've told us our expected rate, but I don't know if the entire town has been reassessed yet. I've heard there is going to be a measurable jump in comparison to what people have been paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
 
23 posts, read 67,702 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Is the Marlboro tax rate based on the expected reassessed values or current rates? We're building, and they've told us our expected rate, but I don't know if the entire town has been reassessed yet. I've heard there is going to be a measurable jump in comparison to what people have been paying.

By 'lower' I meant in comparison to the other towns we are looking at (3-4K less than Robbinsville). I'm not sure if they have reassesed taxes in Marlboro yet. According to our realtor, they just redid Manalapan's tax structure and some people ended up paying less in taxes. The way she explained it the new tax structure took some of the burden off people with newer homes. She explained the formula to calculate what our new taxes would be if we bought there and at least in our range there wasn't much of a difference either way. Not sure about Marlboro, but we will be sure to check with the local tax office before signing on the dotted line!

Maybe someone currently living in Marlboro could shed some light on the tax situation for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,682 posts, read 21,240,239 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
By 'lower' I meant in comparison to the other towns we are looking at (3-4K less than Robbinsville). I'm not sure if they have reassesed taxes in Marlboro yet. According to our realtor, they just redid Manalapan's tax structure and some people ended up paying less in taxes. The way she explained it the new tax structure took some of the burden off people with newer homes. She explained the formula to calculate what our new taxes would be if we bought there and at least in our range there wasn't much of a difference either way. Not sure about Marlboro, but we will be sure to check with the local tax office before signing on the dotted line!
this is what is happening in my town. the homeowners with newer homes are paying a disproportionately higher tax than those in older homes, even though the "real" values are about the same. our new assessments should be coming out soon, and we've been told about 1/3 will pay less, 1/3 will pay more, 1/3 will pay same (I'm hoping I'm paying less! ).

and to juliann1977 - we built, and when the final valuation came through, it was WAY less than we were told. we were told the assessment would be purchase price, and it turned out to be about $70K less. VERY nice surprise, hoping the same happens for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
 
687 posts, read 2,234,559 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
and to juliann1977 - we built, and when the final valuation came through, it was WAY less than we were told. we were told the assessment would be purchase price, and it turned out to be about $70K less. VERY nice surprise, hoping the same happens for you!
That would be outstanding. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be a nice surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top