Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 34,670 times

Advertisements

I am 39, husband is 40, 2 daughters aged 6 and 3. We are Greek American. Considering moving to Warren or Watchung NJ. Please share your thoughts...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How are the schools? Activites for the kids?

Love Basking Ridge and Bernardsville but want to be Closer to Greek church in Westfield. Is this accurate? What do you think about Warren/westfiled vs Colts Neck in Monmouth or Freehold (most north area, I think called East Feeehold) vs Manalapn.

Want a 4 bedroom, finished baasement with higher celilings, nice new kitchen, room for playroom, office, big family room off kitchen, 1 acre, pool, on a block with neighbors. Like the newer construction open floor plan but do not want a McMansion (which is what I am afriad of in Monmouth cty in East Freehold and Manalapan...i feel these neighborhoolds look "fake")... But is Somerset worth the money?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Stacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyinNY View Post
I am 39, husband is 40, 2 daughters aged 6 and 3. We are Greek American. Considering moving to Warren or Watchung NJ. Please share your thoughts...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How are the schools? Activites for the kids?

Love Basking Ridge and Bernardsville but want to be Closer to Greek church in Westfield. Is this accurate? What do you think about Warren/westfiled vs Colts Neck in Monmouth or Freehold (most north area, I think called East Feeehold) vs Manalapn.

Want a 4 bedroom, finished baasement with higher celilings, nice new kitchen, room for playroom, office, big family room off kitchen, 1 acre, pool, on a block with neighbors. Like the newer construction open floor plan but do not want a McMansion (which is what I am afriad of in Monmouth cty in East Freehold and Manalapan...i feel these neighborhoolds look "fake")... But is Somerset worth the money?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Stacey
Warren & Watchung are very nice places to live. The school system is excellent, always ranking very high on most of the various lists. As you may know, each town has it's own lower schools, & then send their kids to the Watchung Hills Regional High school.
These towns are a bit newer than Basking Ridge & Bernardsville, and in a similar price range. You are right that the W's are closer to the Holy Trinity Greek Church in Westfield. (That's actually where we baptized my son, and a very nice church, if you haven't been.) From Basking Ridge & Bernardsville, you might actually be closer to St Andrews in Randolph.
Activities can all be found here. Swim clubs, athletic activities, clubs & classes, parks. Warren & Watchung are well populated by people who want those same things for their kids, and are willing to pay for it.

As to the house you are looking for; there are probably a dozen or so currently for sale that match those criteria completely, with prices starting up just under $1mil, capping up around $3mil. The pool is the tough criterion there, and if you are willing to buy a house without one, you increase the list to almost 30 houses, many of which have the room to put in a pool later.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccomi View Post
Warren NJ is nice place to live? Check this to find out, go to:
Criminal Justice Petition: Corrupt Township Officers of Warren, NJ Eviction | Change.org
How does this make Warren not a nice place?!?! This is about corrupt officials, which can be found almost in any public office all over the world.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 21,318 times
I live and work in Westfield and am familiar with Warren and Watchung and have a love for all 3 towns. Warren and Watchung are so beautiful and country like and sometimes you just don't feel like you are even in NJ. But Westfield has a lot to offer for children. I am going to attach an article for you to read that was in the NY Times a few years ago. Living In - Westfield, N.J. - A Cozy Town That Appeals to All Generations - NYTimes.com
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and my 3 year old loves to stroller downtown and often asks if we can go downtown and get ice cream or go to the movies, etc. In the summer, there are concerts on Tuesday nights throughout the downtown where we go and listen to the different bands after grabbing a bite outdoors at one of the eateries. I never leave this town - there is a Lord and Taylor one block from the town center along with a Stop and Shop and a Trader Joes. There are parks in walking distance to almost every neighborhood and you can walk to downtown from 50% of the neighborhoods in this town. There are doctors, pharmacies, chain stores, a movie theatre, banks and so much more that allow you to do everything one needs to do in a 1 mile radius. I can't say enough about this town and before I moved here in 2004 and heard people speak about how great the town was, I would tell my husband they sounded like cult members. Now I understand what they meant - it's a great place to spend your life! Become one of our neighbors, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey