U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,812,943 times

Advertisements

Just curious what you guys think he would answer if he actually answered this question.

We know urban NJ kids fail at a much higher rate then their suburban counterparts what is the single biggest factor for this?
Would he honestly say bad teachers?
What would you guys say? I grew up in a "abbott"district and turned out ok mostly because of very good parenting and role modeling.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM

5,201 posts, read 6,574,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Just curious what you guys think he would answer if he actually answered this question.

We know urban NJ kids fail at a much higher rate then their suburban counterparts what is the single biggest factor for this?
Would he honestly say bad teachers?
What would you guys say? I grew up in a "abbott"district and turned out ok mostly because of very good parenting and role modeling.
Thanks.
You already answered your own question.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,812,943 times
Is it really that simple. I think it is but then why does our straight shooting Gov never make mention of it? I honestly dont get it. Is it all just politic?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM

19,145 posts, read 7,362,890 times
Good parenting and a stable home.

Money has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM

10,222 posts, read 8,831,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Is it really that simple. I think it is but then why does our straight shooting Gov never make mention of it? I honestly dont get it. Is it all just politic?
Of course it's politics. Just let any elected official, educator or teacher's union boss come out and say where the real problems lie and the PC sh*t would hit the fan as that would involve casting negative aspersions on a great number of urban parents.

Last I read the Abbotts spend on average about 18K a head. That's a lot of money. Even for NJ.

Last edited by doc1; 01-18-2012 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,567,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Last I read the Abbotts spend on average about 18K a head. That's a lot of money. Even for NJ.
Yup- and they needed all of those fancy buildings with skylights, stainless steel curtainwalls, terrazzo floors, and "themes" like barns and lighthouses, that the taxpayers paid for when the SCC pissed away $8 billion a while back. Those buildings were designed to "inspire the children to learn and grow up to achieve great things"- or at least that's the line of BS I heard repeatedly when we were building them.....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM

13,596 posts, read 17,138,941 times
The truth is, as was already stated, the parents and home environment these kids come from is the biggest issue. I have heard Christie say that parents are the key to a childs educational success in many speeches and encourages them to be involved and wants to empower them to be able to make better education choices for their kids.

I think Christie would acknowledge this fact in private (as would many politicians from both sides of the aisle), but it is not something he could publicly state as it would be career suicide. As soon as the words left his mouth, they would find the 10% or so of parents in those districts that actually give a crap and provide a stable home for their kids and they would tear him to pieces.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM

17,629 posts, read 14,256,882 times
since money isnt the solution and they spend a ton of it now, take away their money.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

27,676 posts, read 21,646,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The truth is, as was already stated, the parents and home environment these kids come from is the biggest issue. I have heard Christie say that parents are the key to a childs educational success in many speeches and encourages them to be involved and wants to empower them to be able to make better education choices for their kids.

I think Christie would acknowledge this fact in private (as would many politicians from both sides of the aisle), but it is not something he could publicly state as it would be career suicide. As soon as the words left his mouth, they would find the 10% or so of parents in those districts that actually give a crap and provide a stable home for their kids and they would tear him to pieces.
Some of that just can't be fixed. If the parents themselves are ignorant, how do you fix that?

I saw an interesting conversation the other day on one of these forums that claimed that children whose parents have a limited vocabulary because their world is limited/they live in poverty and ignorance are going to do worse in school than kids with parents who have a better vocabulary. Obviously, it's not the vocabulary itself, but that's an indicator.

It made me think of the former classmate of my daughter. The girl had some emotional/mental health issues that were either genetic or the result of abuse (her father was a schizo who was gone by the time she was 2, but I think he did some early damage) but she is very intelligent. I got to know her mother through girl scouts and school, and while the woman is nice and has a good heart, she is as dumb as a rock. It was obvious to me that the daughter had a much higher level of intelligence than her mother. I believe that, in addition to the girl's emotional/mental problems, it didn't help her any to have a mother who didn't have enough sense to help steer her kid in the right direction.

She did graduate from high school. And had a baby at 20. Father's a loser, so she and the baby are living with her mother. And on the cycle goes.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

17,629 posts, read 14,256,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some of that just can't be fixed. If the parents themselves are ignorant, how do you fix that?
i think the problem is pretending that we can solve these problems. the reality is that solving the problems that plagues these people would require a more intrusive government than most people want. so you just have to accept some people are going to be dumb and as time goes on, this number will likely grow quickly. plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey