U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM

72 posts, read 194,004 times
Smile Renting in Ridgefield Park?

I'm born and raised in Jersey City. Semi-recent college graduate, working in the "CITY" now, and finally want to move out my family's home. At the same time, even though I live within great proximity to NYC, I want to get out of Jersey City (and don't wanna deal with UC/NB congestion). Basically something different and more quiet and little less looking over my shoulder.

I've been looking on craigslist for 1br apartments, so far found some really good deals in Ridgefield Park. Is anyone familiar with this area? Or recommend surrounding towns (Hackensack, Teaneck, etc..) I've only driven through (1&9) but never into town. I'm trying to stay below $900, is it possible in those areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 99,526 times
I don't know the area well, but it seems like a decent enough area. I've driven through the Main St area before, and it does looks a bit worn down, but it seems safe. Crime statics are low, and it has easy highway access to 95 and 80, which is nice. Overall, I do see much better value in Ridgefield Park than nearby Englewood or Leonia, but then again, both those towns seem a bit nicer (though Englewood comes with higher crime vs. Ridgefield Park looking at the statistics).

Old 10-13-2007, 09:26 PM

692 posts, read 1,649,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXJC View Post
I'm born and raised in Jersey City. Semi-recent college graduate, working in the "CITY" now, and finally want to move out my family's home. At the same time, even though I live within great proximity to NYC, I want to get out of Jersey City (and don't wanna deal with UC/NB congestion). Basically something different and more quiet and little less looking over my shoulder.

I've been looking on craigslist for 1br apartments, so far found some really good deals in Ridgefield Park. Is anyone familiar with this area? Or recommend surrounding towns (Hackensack, Teaneck, etc..) I've only driven through (1&9) but never into town. I'm trying to stay below $900, is it possible in those areas?
I lived in RP for a while. Nice little town. It should be possible to stay below $900 or about there in RP. Check out the apartment complex on at the east end of Christie St. Used to be a lot of young, single people, some young married couples, etc.

I can't think of a "bad" section of RP. Not sure I can say the same thing about Teaneck or Hackensack. Hackensack has a lot of hi-rises on Prospect St. but I don't think you are looking at $900, unless you find a garden apartment, small walk-up, mid-rise, etc.

I think around $900 is attainable in all of those towns if you are talking garden apartment or older apartment building. Like I said, between the 3, I would go with RP, hands down. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 18,988 times
one's perception of ridgefield park would obviously depend on what they're used to. having grown up in northeastern bergen county and also having lived in manhattan- i find RP to be kind of a bummer. the town is pretty burned out in a lot of ways (lots of abandoned store fronts). i've lived here for a year now and am looking forward to getting out. but you get what you pay for. went from $2000 p/month upper west side to $1100 p/month in RP. the bus is the morning can take between 20 min & 1 hr to get to port authority. also note that buses run once per hour during off peak times. driving via GW at 6:30am is still 1/2 hour thru toll. obviously this isnt going to be better anywhere else beyond. one thing that i find difficult since im a light sleeper is the train line that goes thru town. its a freight and runs often including all night long and it blows horn thru the crossings.

the positives for me are the quick access to nyc (when not rush hour), walk to village with conveniences, and the cheap rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey