Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

How different or similar are they? I see some homes in my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
For starters, the geographic trivia concerning "the three Plainfields" is that they are located in 3 different counties!

Plainfield is in Union County.
North Plainfield is in Somerset County.
South Plainfield is in Middlesex County.

However, this little bit of geographic trivia does not affect the quality of life in these communities as much as the crime rate of each affects the quality of life. In truth, the only one of the three that I would recommend to anyone--especially someone with kids--is South Plainfield.

Plainfield is a community with a very high crime rate, including violent crimes against persons. While North Plainfield used to be a placid little community, it has unfortunately been affected by a "spill-over" of a bad element from Plainfield and other areas.

South Plainfield is essentially a blue-collar suburban community with a decent quality of life.
Plainfield--with the exception of the exclusive Sleepy Hollow section--is not a desirable place to live, and North Plainfield is slowly but surely taking on many of the characteristics of Plainfield.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 AM

303 posts, read 919,724 times
Old saing ....if u got to plainfield, make sure u leave a will behind.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
I agree that South Plainfield is the best of the three. However, do not overate the spillover into North Plainfield. All towns bordering Plainfield can be said to have a "spillover." North Plainfield may be a little less "nice" than South Plainfield, but it is still considered a safe place to live. Also, yes, Plainfield is indeed a rough community. However, I know that there is at least one more other "good area" in Plainfield other than the Sleepy Hollow section. It is a historic district...I just can not remember the name off hand.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM

198 posts, read 276,360 times
I lived in South Plainfield for 23 years before retiring to the Jersey shore.

This is a true story.

In the 80's or 90's, North Plainfield wanted to change the name of the town. I can't remember the new name that was proposed, but it was something that was very pleasing. Let's say it was going to be called Pleasantville.

They said it would distinguish it from being associated with Plainfield and would probably raise home prices. People would think that Pleasantville was a nice place to live.

I was watching NEWS 12 covering this story. The reporter asked an African American what he thought of the idea that North Plainfield wanted to change it's name to Pleasantville.

He said that he had no problem with them changing the name.

He also said that once the name was to changed to Pleasantville, The city of Plainfield should change it's name to SOUTH PLEASANTVILLE!!!!

The people voted to keep the name North Plainfield.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,215 times
Raven, I agree with Lentzr. North Plainfield is not that bad at all and is a safe community. It is not what it used to be, but what town is? I think the big difference is what your priorities are.
South Plainfield = Better Schools, however I find the houses plain, small and neighborhoods a little more colder and industrial feeling (South Plainfield has a lot of industry in town)
North Plainfield = Good public commute location if you work in the city, To me I find the neighborhoods and houses more charming and you get more house for your money. However The schools are not as good, they used to be great, elementary is still fine though.
I grew up in North Plainfield and actually bought a house here 2 years ago. Again while it is not the town I grew up in, it is not bad. I have lots of family that lives/lived in South Plainfield to so I have seen both towns over the last 30 years. One thing for sure Plainfield was never good over that time although Sleepy Hollow has some really nice houses, always has.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:53 AM

140 posts, read 504,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
I lived in South Plainfield for 23 years before retiring to the Jersey shore.

This is a true story.

In the 80's or 90's, North Plainfield wanted to change the name of the town. I can't remember the new name that was proposed, but it was something that was very pleasing. Let's say it was going to be called Pleasantville.

They said it would distinguish it from being associated with Plainfield and would probably raise home prices. People would think that Pleasantville was a nice place to live.

I was watching NEWS 12 covering this story. The reporter asked an African American what he thought of the idea that North Plainfield wanted to change it's name to Pleasantville.

He said that he had no problem with them changing the name.

He also said that once the name was to changed to Pleasantville, The city of Plainfield should change it's name to SOUTH PLEASANTVILLE!!!!

The people voted to keep the name North Plainfield.
They proposed to names to change it to.....Stony Brook or North Point

And I agree...I think the name change would have helped alot.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
They proposed to names to change it to.....Stony Brook or North Point

And I agree...I think the name change would have helped alot.
And what should they change the name of South Plainfield to? Shadyside Park? I know there is a park there with that name already. They did a similar thing to West Paterson, they kept the initials and renamed it Woodland Park, the dumbest, most common name in the world for a boring suburban town. Try to be a little more creative please.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM

208 posts, read 544,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
And what should they change the name of South Plainfield to? Shadyside Park? I know there is a park there with that name already. They did a similar thing to West Paterson, they kept the initials and renamed it Woodland Park, the dumbest, most common name in the world for a boring suburban town. Try to be a little more creative please.
What else do you expect from people who run a town like West Paterson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey