Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,250,131 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why there is any consideration to build a mall there. 5 minutes south you have Ramsey Interstate, 15 minutes south you have Paramus Park, 20 minutes south you have Garden State Plaza, 35 minutes south you have Xanadu. Not to mention, practically the entire length of Route 17 is developed along the way. Then of course there is the Nanuet Mall 10 minutes east and Palisades 15 minutes east. Am I missing any? Every mall I just mentioned has great accessibility by car and is at or close to a junction between major highways.

What is gained by building another mall? Property values aren't being hurt in Northern Jersey because a town doesn't have proximity to a shopping center, let alone Mahwah/Suffern. And building a mall isn't going to change the fact that people go online to shop. Retail dollars are shifting online and brick & mortar are shutting down. The only thing we'll get in this "Mahwah mall' is more of the large chains that aren't bankrupt, like Target, Best Buy, maybe a Walmart, Supercuts, TGI Fridays. The mall won't cause more money to be spent. It will just shift some of the already dwindling amounts from the other malls in the area. Then the chains have a big bump in fixed costs for no increase in revenue; see where THAT is going?

If this mall goes up, I predict it is a ghost town in 10 years; complete boondoggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
Nanuet Mall is dead , and being rebuilt as mixed use retail and housing , Interstate in Ramsey has seen better days.... The PPP is overrated and can't seem to every fill its store fronts... GSP is my Favorite Mall , Xanadu is a disaster in the making...

Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,586,651 times
OK. As long as there is an environmental clean-up, should it be necessary and adequate studies are done, I am NOT opposed to the mall. You guys made a fair point.

As for the prior two comments...those are also good points too. There are numerous smaller malls that are ghost towns. Ever been to Preakness in Wayne? It is a disaster! However, larger malls tend to attract more customers because you can do all your shopping in one stop, along with other activities. Hence, the big question is will this new mall go the way of Preakness or will it go the way of Palisades? I do not know.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,864,324 times
As a technology enthusiast, I am confident that a very large percentage of physical stores will be obsolete within the next twenty years. Instead we will shop from the comfort of our homes, browsing items on virtual aisles that we navigate using gestures via xbox kinect-type motion sensors.

Our appliances will all be "smart" and connected to the web. Our fridges will detect when we are out of milk and automatically order more, etc etc etc.

I'm very confident this is the future we have ahead of us, so I personally feel that building yet another mall will be a bad investment in the long run.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,992,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
As a technology enthusiast, I am confident that a very large percentage of physical stores will be obsolete within the next twenty years. Instead we will shop from the comfort of our homes, browsing items on virtual aisles that we navigate using gestures via xbox kinect-type motion sensors.

Our appliances will all be "smart" and connected to the web. Our fridges will detect when we are out of milk and automatically order more, etc etc etc.

I'm very confident this is the future we have ahead of us, so I personally feel that building yet another mall will be a bad investment in the long run.
And that is why you personally should not open a brick and mortar mall. However, other citizens in our free country still feel there is value in a physical presence. Therefore, as long as they are spending their own money, let them decide how to invest in and conduct their business.

Of course your vision of the future is old news. Everyone is in agreement that technology will continue to advance, making daily life simpler and less mundane.

Nevertheless, retailers will figure out new and exciting ways of inducing us to visit their physical outlets, now and in the future. Some things in life cannot be enjoyed by getting overweight and playing through a game console. Apple stores are still doing well last time I looked.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,149,821 times
Like NJ doesn't have enough malls ... LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey