Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times

Advertisements

It looks like controversy is continuing over the proposed mall at Crossroads in Mahwah...Plans for shopping center to be unveiled in Mahwah : page all - NorthJersey.com

Let's debate it in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Between this and that crap Mall in the Meadowlands traffic will get worse in Bergen County....I'm starting to become annoyed with all these projects that get approved without the consideration of the regional traffic impacts. Both sites have highway access , but those highways can't handle much more and can't be widen easily. Both sites have poor transit , and the system isn't setup to easily suite these sites. Instead of building malls here , we should be building them on the 100s of square miles of brownfields that we have in this state...many of which are right near a train station or rail line. Newport is a perfect example of this...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Between this and that crap Mall in the Meadowlands traffic will get worse in Bergen County....I'm starting to become annoyed with all these projects that get approved without the consideration of the regional traffic impacts. Both sites have highway access , but those highways can't handle much more and can't be widen easily. Both sites have poor transit , and the system isn't setup to easily suite these sites. Instead of building malls here , we should be building them on the 100s of square miles of brownfields that we have in this state...many of which are right near a train station or rail line. Newport is a perfect example of this...
You cannot go to a mall and expect to carry bags on a train. That would limit shopping to what you can physically carry on your person. We are an automobile culture, and the Crossroads location has very good highway access. Traffic will not be created, just shifted. You will have correspondingly less traffic in Paramus and at the Palisades Mall. No new cars will be created by adding a mall. People will just change their shopping patterns a bit. It will actually balance regional traffic by shifting some of the load away from the existing malls.

It will also create jobs and add shopping, which is always fun.

Northern NJ is all about congestion anyway, so a little more is not going to hurt. I say we approve it, but we should also do away with any blue laws that would restrict shopping there on Sundays.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Actually we aren't really a car culture in this region....its more a transit region. Ive seen big things on buses and trains.....most people have the bigger then delivered to there apartments or condos... This part of Bergen County has very poor roads and its even worse on the New York side...

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You cannot go to a mall and expect to carry bags on a train. That would limit shopping to what you can physically carry on your person. We are an automobile culture, and the Crossroads location has very good highway access. Traffic will not be created, just shifted. You will have correspondingly less traffic in Paramus and at the Palisades Mall. No new cars will be created by adding a mall. People will just change their shopping patterns a bit. It will actually balance regional traffic by shifting some of the load away from the existing malls.

It will also create jobs and add shopping, which is always fun.

Northern NJ is all about congestion anyway, so a little more is not going to hurt. I say we approve it, but we should also do away with any blue laws that would restrict shopping there on Sundays.
Sure you can. I did it for most of my life while living in NYC. The idea that people cannot survive without a car is just silly.
Anyway, I no longer have a dog in this fight, as they say, just wanted to say I don't envy anyone having to contend with yet another mall in Bergen County.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sure you can. I did it for most of my life while living in NYC. The idea that people cannot survive without a car is just silly.
Anyway, I no longer have a dog in this fight, as they say, just wanted to say I don't envy anyone having to contend with yet another mall in Bergen County.
Sure I can? Maybe, but I don't want to. I want to drive my car to the mall, shop in the mall, support jobs in the mall, put the loot in my trunk, and drive it home.

If we want to reduce unempoyment, we need to support development, development, and more development. Malls, factories, oil pipelines, offices, you name it. The more the merrier. Northern NJ is a concrete jungle anyway, so more development can't hurt.

Crossroads will also bring more New Yorkers over the border to spend more money in our state and generate more revenue. Bring it on. If we build it, they will come. And so will I. But only in my car.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
One reason to NOT oppose the mall is the false belief that the mall will cause a big increase in municipal taxes to Mahwah. One person opposed to the mall knocked on my door with such a claim. She told me that the need for more police for an "increase in crime" at the mall will cause for a rise in municipal taxes; it suposedly would be necessary to pay for extra police. HOWEVER, didn't she ever think that the REVENUE from the mall will be at least enough to pay for any additional policing at the site? I guess not!

The only real concern that I have is the threat to the water system in Mahwah. You see, the Crossroads is the site of the old Ford motor plant (1955-1980), which was a big polluter. When digging for a new mall, would contaminants deep in the soil be released into the Ramapo River and some Mahwah resident's drinking supply? I do not know. I do think a much more extensive environmental survey needs to be done of the entire site before I can say that I will support the mall.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 AM

195 posts, read 648,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
A little more traffic is not going to hurt?! That's the least thing we absolutely need. I'm so happy we have the blue laws, otherwise it would have been terrible to live in Bergen County. Sunday is the only day we could drive around with no traffic.... amazing!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
One reason to NOT oppose the mall is the false belief that the mall will cause a big increase in municipal taxes to Mahwah. One person opposed to the mall knocked on my door with such a claim. She told me that the need for more police for an "increase in crime" at the mall will cause for a rise in municipal taxes; it suposedly would be necessary to pay for extra police. HOWEVER, didn't she ever think that the REVENUE from the mall will be at least enough to pay for any additional policing at the site? I guess not!

The only real concern that I have is the threat to the water system in Mahwah. You see, the Crossroads is the site of the old Ford motor plant (1955-1980), which was a big polluter. When digging for a new mall, would contaminants deep in the soil be released into the Ramapo River and some Mahwah resident's drinking supply? I do not know. I do think a much more extensive environmental survey needs to be done of the entire site before I can say that I will support the mall.
Usually a developer is responsible for the disposal/remediation of any contaminated material they dig up as a result of their operations. It depends upon what is in the soil (it would be tested). Sometimes soil can be re-used for certain things if it doesn't contain highly toxic material--for example, some contaminated but non-hazardous soil could be used underneath a paved parking lot but not in a children's playground. Other soil might have to be disposed of at specific waste facilities where such material is buried.

I guess the environmental go-aheads depend upon who has jurisdiction over such a project.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post

Given Fords settlement with the Jackson Whites, I am sure that this going to be adequately addressed. Being how well known of an issue it is in the area, I cant imagine it not being properly researched and if necessary, handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey