Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 33,688 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NJ and need advice on where to live. We have two small children (toddlers) so it must be SAFE. We would love to live in a small town where we could walk to places such as parks, small stores etc.
We are looking to spend under 500k, and the commute would have to be under 30 minutes - but from what I read in other posts, this might be impossible to find! It's discouraging...
Some of the towns that seem decent are Hopewell, Pennington, West Windsor but having never been to any of these I'm not sure what to think. Any thoughts/advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Personally, I really like both Pennington and Hopewell. And you don't want to live in Princeton because...???

Old 09-04-2007, 11:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
montgomery twsp (aka rocky hill, belle mead, skillman) in somerset cnty is a great choice too. excellent schools (as do the towns viralmd mentioned).....

Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Hopewell
Pennington
Titusville
Robbinsville
West Windsor
Princeton

Allentown has a wonderful small-town feel but would be more like a 40ish minute commute.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 33,688 times
Viralmd,
I didn't think we could afford Princeton...

Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
These other towns aren't so cheap, either!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 129,902 times
Default small towns in nj

You may want to try heading north to towns like Highland Park and New Brunswick. you can still get a nice house for under $500,000. Both are small towns with main streets, shops, low crime, good schools and easy access to NYC transportation. I'm a realtor in Central NJ. I grew up in Highland Park and have lived in Metuchen for 7 years. I bought in Metuchen because I was commuting to Manhattan at the time. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so I have many of the same issues that you are probably experiencing. If you have any questions about the area, please feel free to contact me.

I hope this helps.

Ali

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Plainsboro has the services you are looking for. Many of the homes are near parks, protected green space or bike trails, and there are quite a few areas that could easily be walked to a bagel store, video store, grocery store, card store or liquor store. You might have to settle for a large townhome for the price you are seeking, but would still be in a very community oriented environment with great schools when the time comes. May also want to check out Hightstown, Cranbury or the Twin Rivers section of East Windsor. It's one of the original planned unit developments with neighborhoods and services all within walking distance. Where are you commuting to?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali herzog View Post
You may want to try heading north to towns like Highland Park and New Brunswick. you can still get a nice house for under $500,000. Both are small towns with main streets, shops, low crime, good schools and easy access to NYC transportation. I'm a realtor in Central NJ. I grew up in Highland Park and have lived in Metuchen for 7 years. I bought in Metuchen because I was commuting to Manhattan at the time. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so I have many of the same issues that you are probably experiencing. If you have any questions about the area, please feel free to contact me.

I hope this helps.

Ali
New Brunswick has low crime? Puleeeze!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 PM

300 posts, read 913,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali herzog View Post

I hope this helps.

Ali
wow, I can't believe New Brunswick is mentioned along with other pristine towns. Probably it is city with highest crime rate, traffic congestion in Central Jersey.
Montgomery (rocky hill, belle mead...) and some parts of Franklin are beautiful. Though former is not conviniently located, otherwise its best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey