Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
It wasn't until recently, when I was riding shotgun in a newer car . . . . And where the hell am I supposed to put all the loose change if there's no ash tray?
My car is older, I guess (2002) but it has an ashtray. And yes, as a non-smoker, it is where I put my change (and folded toll receipts!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
Not being a driver I haven't really looked into it that closely, but, again operating from memory/hearsay here, my understanding is that the "option" is not really the classic car ashtray in the dashboard but something more like a rinky-dink plastic cup holder for $100.

Anyone out there know more?
I have seen cup holders with removable cyclindrical ashtray inserts (metal-line with a hinged lid). My sister's car and older I believe (early 2000s?). It was a Nissan or Infinit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
Why is it that cars don't come with ashtrays anymore?
Some cars still have ashtrays, my Wife's 2009 Infiniti GX has an ashtray. I think the main reason most cars do not have ashtrays is because most people do not smoke in there cars, even most smokers. Smoking in a car destroys the resale value of a car. There's pretty much nothing you can do to get rid of the smell short of ripping out all the whole interior of the car and replacing it. You can buy freshers, or chlorine solutions to over power the smell, but once they start to wear off the smell of smoking will return.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
One of the dangers of ASDS (AntiSmoking Dysfunction Syndrome) is that it causes overreactions to things. In a case like this it could cause an auto accident, but there are lots of less significant instances where the reactions are out of proportion to the cause and can be harmful in various ways.
When I was a smoker I used to love the people walking down the street who would immediate affect the Fake Cough as soon as they saw someone with a cigarette.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never used the ashtray that is installed in my vehicle. I have one that hooks on the door at the window. Personally I don't like the residual smell of old cigarette butts left in the vehicle and they are tough to clean.

I am a different kind of smoker though since I try very hard not to smoke around those who do not smoke and I do not smoke in anyone's vehicle or home or even next to them outside if they don't smoke or don't like it.

Even outside I always ask if they mind if I am sitting close to someone and I get really tired of the glares and sideways glances putting me in the general blanket group of inconsiderate smokers.

Smokers are NOT the only humans on the planet who are inconsiderate of others.

How about you humans who have children screaming down every isle of the grocery that you refuse to control? Which is by no means limited to the grocery location. I especially love children running amok while I am trying to have a nice dinner out and relax. Can't wait until it happens again.........
I second everything you've said. I don't smoke in my home because I have 2 rabbits and I don't want to turn their tiny little pink lungs black. If I have that consideration for my pets, imagine how I am toward humans (the ones I like anyway :~). I even knock the heads off my cigarettes when walking outside and throw the butts out when I find a garbage. We are not all monsters so enough with the blanket statements.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I second everything you've said. I don't smoke in my home because I have 2 rabbits and I don't want to turn their tiny little pink lungs black. If I have that consideration for my pets, imagine how I am toward humans (the ones I like anyway :~). I even knock the heads off my cigarettes when walking outside and throw the butts out when I find a garbage. We are not all monsters so enough with the blanket statements.
Same. I am allowed to smoke in my apartment, but I sure as hell don't. My girlfriend has no sense of smell, but our two little Boston Terriers sure do. And hey, I do too. I know when a house smells like it's been smoked in for years. My friends and I smoked in our first apartment, and it stunk after a year. Never smoked in an apartment of my own again, and to be honest don't really like being in homes of those who do.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I think most new cars today have an optional "smokers package" which gets you a lighter and one of the cupholders replaced with an ashtray.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM

143 posts, read 302,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
well im sure nj has littering laws - im a smoker and have a newer car without an ashtray so i put one in my car - i think littering of any kind is disgusting and shows a lack of respect toward anything and everything around you - i really dont care if it is a ciggarette or an bag of empty food containers from a drive in - there is nothing that irks me more -
I hate when people litter. Keep America beautiful!

The Crying Indian - full commercial - Keep America Beautiful - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
That happens to me every evening during my commute home. I HATE it! I hate it to the point that if insurance wasn't so damn high in nj I'd ram them...
Karma tends to take care of people like that.

They are the ones that wind up eventually ticking off someone with no self-control who does just that, or shoots their car or follows them home etc.

It's a sort of butt-head magnetism...butt-heads attract other butt-heads to their lives.

Sometime in the future a driver that does that will come out to find they have 4 slashed tires and will then cry to their friends how they have no idea why someone would do that to them.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
For a cigarette butt? I assume no one was behind you but still......
Agree. A cigarette but would not set the car on fire, but slamming on the breaks for no reason can cause a serious accident. If a cigarette butt makes you freak out on the road, that person shouldn't be driving.

P.S. More than half the people in this thread who expressed their outrage over this, have texted or facebooked while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey