Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

700 million and counting over the 3.1 billion dollar budget (and rising) to build a building in New York City, using taxes paid by New Jersey residents.

Seems absurd to me. New York is an Island with over 7 million residents. They should be ones responsible for providing the necessary bridges and tunnels to connect themselves with mainland America, not the State of New Jersey. And paying for building to be built outside of our state, in New York City is completely ridiculous in my opinion.

I think it is time to cut the cord here. Why is it our responsibility to subsidize New York city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
3.2 for one building , the New Transit hub is pushing 1.2 , and the whole site is nearing 10 billion. Lets not forget the botched Grove Street PATH station , the fact that the PA lied to Harrison about upgrading the station several years ago , and then the fact that Christie appointed his friends at high positions at the PA...he needs to go and the PA needs to drop the WTC project....

Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
. Why is it our responsibility to subsidize New York city?
Because most of the people who work in NYC live in NJ. If jobs start leaving NYC because people can't get there for work, it kinda puts NJ in a tough spot, don't you think? While some of the business would move to NJ, many would leave the area altogether.....

Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,253,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Because most of the people who work in NYC live in NJ. If jobs start leaving NYC because people can't get there for work, it kinda puts NJ in a tough spot, don't you think? While some of the business would move to NJ, many would leave the area altogether.....
We're subsidizing a building. There is a lot of office space in NYC and plenty more being developed without NJ residents footing the bill. I don't have a problem with NJ subsidizing transportation to NYC, but it should end there.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I agree that the PA should be out of the real estate building, but how much toll money is really going into the WTC site? One WTC is being built with the portion of insurance money Silverstein had to turn over to the PA under the Master Agreement when he turned the building of the tower over to them, plus Liberty Bonds issued for the specific purpose of building One WTC. The PATH Hub is being financed with an FTA grant. And a couple of years ago everyone was whining that the PA wasn't moving fast enough to rebuild the WTC.

I don't get how you think NJ is subsidizing NY city. The point of these toll increases was so that the governors could siphon money out of the PA for their own state projects that they can't afford. If NJ "pulled out" of the PA, which it can't do since the PA was formed by an act of Congress, where would the state get that money from that they're counting on from the PA?

And as much as I can't stand Christie, bear in mind that his 50 appointees in the PA (if indeed that's all there are) is nothing compared to the 200+ that McGreevey had buried in there. The PA is run by two governors and their appointees, six from each state. They ALL give out jobs to the PA and other similar agencies and then everyone pretends to be shocked and appalled when it gets in the newspaper. They are politicians; ergo, they are crooked.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
700 million and counting over the 3.1 billion dollar budget (and rising) to build a building in New York City, using taxes paid by New Jersey residents.

Seems absurd to me. New York is an Island with over 7 million residents. They should be ones responsible for providing the necessary bridges and tunnels to connect themselves with mainland America, not the State of New Jersey. And paying for building to be built outside of our state, in New York City is completely ridiculous in my opinion.

I think it is time to cut the cord here. Why is it our responsibility to subsidize New York city?
The Port Authority receives no taxpayer money from either state.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They are politicians; ergo, they are crooked.
people say it, but people dont really understand fully how corrupt politicians are. corruption is the job that they are doing every day of the week.

this wtc project is just amazing to me. there really is no accountability when it comes to political waste.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The Port Authority receives no taxpayer money from either state.
They do it with heavy tolls on the bridges & tunnels. When they say it's for "maintenance" and so the "GWB doesn't fall down" (Bloomberg's asinine statement) I recall the the pie chart in the paper around the time of the last increase showed like 22% of revenue going to the WTC boondoggle and only a few percent to actual bridge & tunnel maintenance.

And the PA wanted a $4.50 increase but NY & NJ's governors "came to the rescue" and it was only $1.50. Causing one commuter to thank his lucky stars:

"Oh man, we thought we were gonna be takin' a whoopin' on them tolls. It's only $1.50 increase? That won't sting too bad," said Terry Jackson, 40, a Fort Lee, N.J., construction worker. "They're still gonna get us in the long run though."

Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
They do it with heavy tolls on the bridges & tunnels. When they say it's for "maintenance" and so the "GWB doesn't fall down" (Bloomberg's asinine statement) I recall the the pie chart in the paper around the time of the last increase showed like 22% of revenue going to the WTC boondoggle and only a few percent to actual bridge & tunnel maintenance.

And the PA wanted a $4.50 increase but NY & NJ's governors "came to the rescue" and it was only $1.50. Causing one commuter to thank his lucky stars:

"Oh man, we thought we were gonna be takin' a whoopin' on them tolls. It's only $1.50 increase? That won't sting too bad," said Terry Jackson, 40, a Fort Lee, N.J., construction worker. "They're still gonna get us in the long run though."
Don't know what Bloomberg has to do with the PA. The governors were the ones who wanted the toll increase in the first place, and I think the average person is on to that whole "let's first say a higher number then pretend to strong-arm the PA into lowering it" schtick. As mentioned, the governors have plans for the PA outside of its own facilities. As for what it says in the newspapers, one has to learn to read between the lines. Take this one, for example: The PA "Agreed"? At Governor Christie's "Request"?

Port Authority agrees to participate in overhaul of Pulaski Skyway, other road projects | NJ.com

People also don't seem to understand that the there's no separate pot of money for the bridges and tunnels, etc. The largest revenue source for the PA are the AIRPORTS, but again, airport revenue doesn't go to the airports, bridge money to the bridges, port revenue to the ports, etc. (The PATH is a total loss and that was the agreement when the PA took the tubes over back in the 1960's--that they would run it as a loss. The PATH fare doesn't even cover the electric bill to run those trains.) The PA raises its money by selling bonds, and by the bond covenants, ALL revenue is in one pot of PA revenue, no matter what the source, and there has to be a certain amount of revenue coming in to keep those bond ratings up so that they are attractive to buyers.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

I'm not sticking up for the P.A., just stating fact. All the money that the Port Authority receives is generated through tolls, landing fees and rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey