U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM

63 posts, read 251,987 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this town? I know the public school system is not that great but we were thinking of sending our kids to a good private school there. The town looks pretty quiet and safe. Anybody to share experiences with Franklin Township? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,909,246 times
Many areas are fine. Rutgers Prep, the private school is very close to 287/Easton Ave. so that would be close. Somerset offers a good number of homes and services of all types as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 PM

2,203 posts, read 4,327,807 times
I live in Franklin and it is actually a really good town. While the high school has problems unfortunately, the elementary system is magnet and is very good so you shouldn't feel under immediate pressure -- they offer free half day pre-K and full day Kindergarten which is unusual in the area.
The town is big and very diverse. The only area I would not recommend for housing would be the Somerset section adjacent to New Brunswick, every other part has really nice housing stock and attractive neighbourhoods. Crime is low and we have an excellent park system and library. Our recreation department is second to none in the area -they offer lots of sports programs (including a pilot USTA tennis program) and several summer camps.
Transportation is excellent and the proximity to New Brunswick restaurants/theater and Princeton is also a big plus for us.
The one negative I can think of is the lack of a definable town center, Franklin is an amalgam of several small villages and farming communities which merged into suburbs over time. The different communities, such as Levitt or Middlebush have a community feel,, but less the town as a whole.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks a lot for the info! Would you know if there are areas that gets flooded?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 22,707 times
Default Franklin

I lived in Franklin for a couple of years. I'm not there anymore thank God! It is going downhill in every way. Definitely agree with Anthony B not to move anywhere near Hamilton St./New Brunswick area. The elementary schools are OK but middle and high schools are not rated high at all. They spent millions of dollars on a beautiful state of the art high school for the gangs to destroy, yes, I'm talking about crips and blood gangs. Taxes are high and can find decent housing more towards the town offices, but be prepare to update old homes. Franklin is a huge township. The areas around Griggstown and Franklin Park are OK...more towards rural Griggstown and off Middlebush Road are very nice. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 AM

OMG! You scared me there, we almost bought a house by Bartle Rd (Inglebush area) and I see it's near Hamilton St. It was a beatiful well maintained half acre property but they already accepted an offer before we even got the disclosures. Thanks for the tips!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 PM

I wouldn't be that freaked. The gang thing is pretty limited to wannabes and it is no more prevelant than in any other towns in the area.
I would put the dividing street as JFK, the neighbourhoods are appreciably nicer on the side AWAY from Hamilton. Levitt is very pleasant, a really nice, quiet family oriented neighbourhood with good housing stock.
As the previous person mentioned, the Franklin Park area (where I live) and Griggstown are lovely and you will find nice sized lots, especially Griggstown. The local school there is Franklin Park and is the highest rated of the local elementary schools. My kids go there and I was wary because people from other towns kept obsessing about the schools, but the resources and quality of education they have recieved has exceeded my (and the doubters) expectations. And of course if you are thinking of private, there are plenty in the area.
The only houses to ever flood were the few lie between the Raritan river and Easton Ave and a couple of low lying ones on River Road. Only about 20 in all. Franklin isn't an appreciable flood zone.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the info! I appreciate it..

Old 10-21-2007, 02:06 PM

39 posts, read 111,473 times
Hmm.. Franklin Township, I though was a good place to move .. We were driving by and there were lots of good homes

Nan

Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanfromnj View Post
Hmm.. Franklin Township, I though was a good place to move .. We were driving by and there were lots of good homes

Nan
Nan - there ARE lots of good homes there, and plenty of value, just make sure to go with a real estate agent who knows the area well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey