Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
NYC is a great city with many opportunities. South Jersey is just farmlands and people going to beach all day. All one does there is that. Boring as hell. North Jersey is where the life is.
It absolutely is a great city. But saying that it's the largest doesn't mean that it's great. That's all I'm saying.

It's all about the Northeast Corridor man. The part near NYC is great, the part that goes through Central NJ is great. But the further you get away from the Northeast Corridor, the worse it gets.

The South, at least has the shore for some redemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 AM

456 posts, read 833,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It absolutely is a great city. But saying that it's the largest doesn't mean that it's great. That's all I'm saying.

It's all about the Northeast Corridor man. The part near NYC is great, the part that goes through Central NJ is great. But the further you get away from the Northeast Corridor, the worse it gets.

The South, at least has the shore for some redemption.
Yeah Northwest is pretty much like the South, just different terrain. Hence I talk about Northeast, especially the places near the river like Hoboken, Jersey city, and so forth.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
I've been there few times, couldn't wait to get out. You feel like you've gone to the deep South or something. I guess they are useful for providing me with fruit and vegetables, but that's it. Northeast Jersey is the heart of NJ and the soul of NJ is in that area.
You don't even sound American.

Edit: I also disagree with your initial assumption that South Jersey doesn't have traditional towns. It has plenty.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 AM

456 posts, read 833,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
You don't even sound American.
How does one sound American? lol

Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Yeah Northwest is pretty much like the South, just different terrain. Hence I talk about Northeast, especially the places near the river like Hoboken, Jersey city, and so forth.
Hoboken, Jersey City, etc are for the folks that want to live near the city... usually non-family folks. Princeton area is for the folks that work on Wall Street but want to live in the suburbs and raise a family. It's the train line that makes it so great.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
All new people coming to NJ move to the North...I didn't realize how much better it was.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 AM

292 posts, read 718,757 times
Quote:
northwest jersey has more to offer though; hikes, lakes, skiing, mountains etc.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
haha, go back South Jersey then farm boy....North Jersey's the best, more specifically Northeast Jersey. You got access to world's biggest city, you have everything you can ask for. I guess if you've seen farm all your life, it's hard to get used to.
NE Jersey is close to Tokyo?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM

115 posts, read 381,524 times
North Jersey
One reason it's the best - nice downtowns, easy rail access.
One reason it sucks - Urban Decay galore. . . and it's spread out. Hudson, Essex, Bergn, Passaic & Union all have apt examples. Sure Camden's bad, but you can add enough of them up and trump Camden.

Central Jersey
This is a mythical beast that culturally leans toward North Jersey (and NYC) anyway. But if I must:
One reason it's the best - Most Jersey pride. Because they're far enough from both cities, they produce most pride. Contains most NJ Devils fans and produces our best music: Asbury Park.
One reason it sucks - It doesn't exist. Monmouth County and Mercer County have nothing in common.

South Jersey
One reason it's the best - No guidos (You can't count Ocean County, no people from the Philly suburbs go to those beaches).
One reason it sucks - Lack of culture. The people of Collingswood & Haddonfield think they have some, but when traveling a little, realize how small of a bubble it is.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
It's funny, when I think of South Jersey, I think of the tri-county area (Burlington, Camden, Gloucester) + the shore. The flyover country of Salem, Cumberland, and non-shore parts of Atlantic and Cape May Counties don't come to mind at all, at least for me. I have never thought of South Jersey as quiet boring farmland, and I didn't even realize people had this perception until I saw it on this forum.
I feel the same way. Where exactly do people cross the line between north and south NJ? I am in Ocean county on the border of Monmouth and I do consider it South Jersey because of its proximity to the shore but doesn't that leave most of the state in the "South Jersey" category? I really don't think of the southwest areas as "South Jersey" either but then what are they?
Maybe it should be Northern NJ, Central NJ, The Jersey Shore and then South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey