Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 21,101 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering buying a house in the Wayne/Peq/LP area b/c it's centrally located between the towns where we both work, but we would love to know what people think about these towns and the school systems (no kids yet but planning to start family w/in the next couple of years).

We're not looking for a starter home, we'd like to settle down and stay for a long time. Budget is around $450k.

Good neighborhoods? Advantages of one town over the other? Non-flood prone areas? Any advice and insights would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,946,788 times
I believe that the big negative on LP schools is that the high school kids are bused to Boonton.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM

513 posts, read 1,162,873 times
Too many difficulties with increased flooding in Lincoln Park and Pequannock recently. For your budget, you can find something quite fine in a non-flood area of Wayne. Wayne schools are very good. Some folks like Wayne Hills High, but we had a terrific experience at Wayne Valley. Wayne also has lots of activities for the kids (P.A.L., after-school, etc.) plus the YMCA (swimming, working out) is great for families, too. Wayne has a top-notch library. And it has great mass transit, too. I also found the personality of the town to be hard-working, but kind and compassionate....all in all a great place to be for more than a couple of years....we stayed 20+. Now that I'm gone, I can see it all a bit clearer.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 21,101 times
Thanks MaryAnne! Very helpful info.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM

292 posts, read 716,593 times
Wayne or Pequannock are nice, but I'd be careful in Pequannock because of the flooding. I would suggest looking off Black Oak Ridge Road or Alps Road in Wayne, nice neighborhoods and they are convenient to Routes 23, 46, 80, 287, 3, and the Parkway.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,053 times
full of floods in all towns, wouldn't buy unless you want a house under water.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,519,900 times
all nice towns as others have said watch the flood areas and Lincoln Park kids do go to Boonton High School. Pequannock has more of a small town feel. Often people that have grown up in Pequannock move back there to have a family. I think that says a lot for the town. The Pompton Plains area is a little nicer and has less flood areas than the Pequannock end. Both Lincoln Park and Pequannock are in Morris County, a little better tax rate than Wayne which is Passaic County.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM

607 posts, read 954,548 times
Depends what you are looking for - all are good towns with many positives

All also have flood issues, but have many parts of town that stay dry.

Lincoln Park has a nice small-town feel and close-knit community, but yes, the kids attend Boonton HS. But there is a definitive hometown feeling with the residents, and a strong sense of camaraderie.

Pequannock Township offers many nice neighborhoods and recreational programs, but be wary of which side of town you select; there is still a strong undercurrent of "us vs. them" among residents when discussing Pequannock and Pompton Plains

Wayne has a lot to offer as the biggest of the three, but is in Passaic County, and is far more spread out. Depending upon where you are commuting, it can add 20 minutes just to travel across town, and the flooding in Wayne wreaks havoc on travel options for all three towns.

Drive thru each town on different days/different times, and don't be afraid to ask people in the neighborhoods. Once you have potential locations, no doubt people here will be happy to offer their 2 cents - and not even ask for change....

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

32 posts, read 110,494 times
what areas of pequannock would be considered safe from flooding? i hear many good things about raising a family there!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

607 posts, read 954,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenedictnj View Post
what areas of pequannock would be considered safe from flooding? i hear many good things about raising a family there!
In Pequannock - anything along the Boulevard is dry - esp. around Gerace School (Mandeville, Ackerson, etc.); as far as I remember, this area has never had water.

You could go from the Blvd to Newark Pompton Tpke as well, but anything on the other side of the Tpke can be a gamble

Not to be obnoxious, but look at Google maps of 07440, find the blue lines, and house-hunt away from them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey