Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM

136 posts, read 240,234 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this one? Would you buy a nicer house with a longer commute, or settle for an OK house, possibly for more money but a nicer commute? Also, say you are looking within a single town (oh, say Westfield, my dream oasis in NJ), would you hold out for a house that you could walk to the train, or buy the best house that you can get, even if you have to think of ways to park every morning. I could really use some insight from folks who live in NJ and commute every day, since I take my commuting for granted right now. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,342 times
I vote better commute. I have the luxury from working from home lately, but my door to desk commute to midtown is 90 min. I read and nap, i dont think its bad at all. Very tolerable.

That being said, I see some cars there when i get to train at 7am, that are still there when I am leaving the station at 6pm. Thats crazy.

Life is too short to be slaving away at a job for 13+ hours a day (commute included). Its way to short to slave away 2+ hours just so you can enjoy a mcmansion somewhere in 2+ hours away.

I also don't think its wise to buy a POS crap shack cape for 400k in the wonderful oasis of westfield nj. You're going to need a car in jersey regardless, buy a home in a different town. Don't get caught up in realtor hype.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
What are your thoughts on this one? Would you buy a nicer house with a longer commute, or settle for an OK house, possibly for more money but a nicer commute? Also, say you are looking within a single town (oh, say Westfield, my dream oasis in NJ), would you hold out for a house that you could walk to the train, or buy the best house that you can get, even if you have to think of ways to park every morning. I could really use some insight from folks who live in NJ and commute every day, since I take my commuting for granted right now. Thank you all!
+1 on better/shorter commute, relating to your mama status: especially handy in things like school closings, kid emergencies, etc. It's also usually a better resale opportunity for that same reason with all things being the same.

As for your 2nd question, I'm within 2-3 blocks of the train station and it has great advantages in warm weather. However, I find myself still using my car to drop off my 1st grader and then head to work, so it's surely not the end of the world if you don't live by your station. But you will need to figure out your parking situation in advance otherwise you'll be adding much stress during your day. If you can get a better house albeit a bit further away from your station (in the same neighborhood), I would opt for the better house.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
Sorry I have to say better house and deal with a little extra commute. While it might give you more quality time with your family, your family's quality time will be better quality in a nicer house. I speak from experience. Granted I'm only 35.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 02-15-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,740 times
Commute is more important, it only gets tougher the older u get!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
Generally, I would say better house over commute; especially if it is a decision of one town over another with better schools, more safety, etc. But on a micro level within a town assuming all other factors are similar, I would say it has to be commute.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,794 times
It's great you asked this- we're struggling with the same question! We found a house we love in South Orange (much more house than we can get for the money where we're living now in Montclair) but the commute is long for my wife who works in Northern Bergen County. It's a balancing act for sure.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Younger people always seem to go for better house, older more experienced people usually go for time with family and a better commute.
Nobody can make that choice for anybody else.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
i think its a combination of the two. i dont want a crappy house and i dont want a huge commute. i want a nice house and a moderate commute. the area is important also. it makes my weekends better and also gives me more comfort knowing my family is in a safe place with nice places for them to go to.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its a combination of the two. i dont want a crappy house and i dont want a huge commute. i want a nice house and a moderate commute. the area is important also. it makes my weekends better and also gives me more comfort knowing my family is in a safe place with nice places for them to go to.
you should go into politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey