Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

If you can do the longer commute, it would help. Look at Rutherford. That might work. Not sure about city buses, but the walk to PATH is not dangerous. 14th Street is very wide and busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
You'r commute to Manhattan will be longer than 30 minutes on a good day. And there are all the days when NJ Transit is stalled because there's a train stuck in the tunnel.

If you want good schools your commute from NJ to Manhattan is going to be longer than you want.

Stay away from any town in Hudson County if you have school-age kids.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 19,761 times
I was considering Weehawken before your post. They seem to have the best school district rating in the Hudson County area, but you said to stay away from all towns in Hudson County. How is Weehawken? Is it safe for raising kids? I'm also looking at Ridgefield park. They seem to have very good elementary schools. How bad would the commute be from there?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 AM

How would be the commute from Fort Lee or Edgewater? They appear to have very good schools and the rents seem reasonable.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,962 times
I currently live in weehawken. Weehawken would be the fastest commute possible. It is very safe and has a balanced population, unlike the other towns close by which are mostly hispanic. The elementary school is showing the demographic change even more with more whites coming in. Weehawken is becoming the ideal town for people that want to be close by to Hoboken, but have more space. I used to live in bergen county, so I am in no ways biased.

The further you move north, the longer your commute will become. The fastest commute from edgewater would be the ferry, but it is expensive. From Fort lee you could take the bus to the GWB Bus station and take the A train subway down, to get to 42nd would take about 20 min or so. The bus ride from edgewater to port authority would be about 30-40 min or so, depending on the traffic.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Thank you. Weehawken sounds like our best option. Problem now is to find a rental there that has more then one bathroom in our price range.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM

there are plenty of options in your price range, look at craigslist, remax nj, etc ...i got my apt with 2.5 bedrooms and 1 bathroom for 1400

also on a side note, weehawken is divided in 2 parts by the lincoln tunnel. the further you are away from west new york the more parking you will be able to find if you don't find a place with a garage. the reason being is that weehawken becomes just a row of parallel streets after cooper place..starts at 46th street. below 46th the houses are more spaced out and there are more trees....and from 46th to 51st the streets get smaller and smaller. I have seen the other side of weehawken, but I have never parked there. the parking in weehawken is not as bad because of the amount of residential housing and lack of apartment buildings.

Last edited by Seduflow; 02-16-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM

Thank you, that is good to know. I'm also only interested south of 34 street, because I want my kids to go to Woodrow Wilson school and not the other one more North. Woodrow Wilson is a blue ribbon school and seems to be doing excellent. I only find places with 1 bathroom, which would never work with 3 kids and a husband that spends more time in the bathroom then us 4 (me and kids) combined. Are Realtor fees negotiable? The good places all charge fees. Ouch.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM

woodrow wilson is a union city school. they have been leasing that building for the past 12 years or so. They will be closing it down in a year or so and moving to the new school that is almost done in union city. the elementary school in weehawken is daniel webster, there is only 1 elementary in weehawken. I got my place with a fee...there was no way around it..i orginally found it through craigslist, but it was listed by an agent. the fee for me was half month's rent. but i was able to lower the rent from 1450 to 1400.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM

So to be inside that schools jurisdiction I have to be a resident in Union City and not Weehawken? I assume somewhere around the southern part of Union City. Daniel Webster only goes to 2 grade. My 2 oldest one would be going to Theodore Roosevelt No. 5. What a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey