U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:20 PM

310 posts, read 396,757 times
Default This obsession with schools is getting crazy. If your kid isn't going to be in honors or AP, it doesn't make much diff!

Of course if we are comparing extremes like ridgewood to newark, then it makes a difference...but the biggest difference comes from the motivation of the students!! Many of the kids in regular classes are simply lazy...and just do average.

I see some of you go crazy over school rankings thinking as if it will do a lot...when in reality if your child is motivated and has a safe environment to be in, they will do well!!

Do you have any idea how many people i've known from these many well to do towns that do drugs, slack off, lazy, etc...sometimes people surrounded by spoiled brats isn't always the best thing.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM

832 posts, read 903,474 times
I agree. I think a kid can excell at almost any school if the parents are involved and the kid cares.
I don't have kids, but I won't be moving to the most expensive town or paying for private.
I will simply make sure my kid(s) are enriched at home and are on top of everything the school has to offer.

The schools in Newark are so bad because the parents are so useless.

Last edited by sas0814; 02-16-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Unread 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,309,717 times
Amen! The unfortunate reality, though, is that parents these days believe every child is a unique and precious snowflake who could be president if only they went to the right school. Parents are defined more and more by their children and it's too bad.

Unread 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM

735 posts, read 803,762 times
Someone should sticky this post to the top of the board.

Unread 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Someone should sticky this post to the top of the board.
I second that. Who can do that the moderators?

Unread 02-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Questions like the amount of honors and AP classes offered are valid to me. But to base schools simply off ranking and assume that a child will do well because of that does not make sense at all. Grade inflation does occur and richer neighborhoods may not have gang issues necessarily, but children/teens there do participate in things that are not favorable...my cousin from a rich neighborhood was telling me that 3 of her friends recently tried some cocaine. The school they go to btw is a high ranking school...

At the same time when I do have kids, I will make sure not to live an area that has a really poor performing school like newark, east orange, west new york, etc. The population there for the most part comes from neglected homes and I would not want the bad influence put upon my future kids.

Unread 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM

71 posts, read 69,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Questions like the amount of honors and AP classes offered are valid to me. But to base schools simply off ranking and assume that a child will do well because of that does not make sense at all. Grade inflation does occur and richer neighborhoods may not have gang issues necessarily, but children/teens there do participate in things that are not favorable...my cousin from a rich neighborhood was telling me that 3 of her friends recently tried some cocaine. The school they go to btw is a high ranking school...

At the same time when I do have kids, I will make sure not to live an area that has a really poor performing school like newark, east orange, west new york, etc. The population there for the most part comes from neglected homes and I would not want the bad influence put upon my future kids.
It is really moreso about the environment AT home. If you raise your kids well enough, outside factors will not influence them. The kids at your cousin's school were not raised well enough to discern the detriment they may very well be causing themselves. I would venture to say those children are neglected too. Apparently, they were not raised properly either.

By the way, I have a friend who grew up in Newark in a less desirable neighborhood with less desirable outside factors around him. He is pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering and is one very respectful, deeply intelligent man.

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM

I agree with you. the environment plays a big role. The environment inside the home, but also lets be realistic...the school environment also plays a role. West new york high school for example has a very high rate of teen pregnancy and many there simply do not care about education. Of course the students in the honors and AP classes there are in a different league, but I feel that a school like that is so overwhelmed with the negative...that they don't put the effort needed for the gifted or the ones that actually try hard.

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM

71 posts, read 69,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
I agree with you. the environment plays a big role. The environment inside the home, but also lets be realistic...the school environment also plays a role. West new york high school for example has a very high rate of teen pregnancy and many there simply do not care about education. Of course the students in the honors and AP classes there are in a different league, but I feel that a school like that is so overwhelmed with the negative...that they don't put the effort needed for the gifted or the ones that actually try hard.
Actually, the gifted in these types of schools are usually given a world of opportunities. Newark's Science Park High School and University High School's top students generally go to Ivy Leagues or other top-tier schools.

Friend's ex-boyfriend graduated from high school in West New York. He went to Brown, was accepted to their undergrad-to-medical school program (guaranteed medical school spot if all undergrad requirements maintained).

To me, the answer to all these complicated caveats is so simple. If you are raised properly despite other bad conditions, you will excel. You will be able to discern what should and should not be done. This would explain AP/Honors students at a school like the one you just described.

Of course, there are always outliers with poor living situations in less desirable environments yet are still exceptional academically and in life.

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:39 PM

But given an option...there would be no need in putting a child in west new york high school for example...its one thing if the family can't move out and has to do the best they can with their situation, but why would anyone want to purposely send their child there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey