U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM

6,457 posts, read 5,212,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
When house hunting, all you need do is walk down into the basement and you will know right away whether or not it gets water. There is a certain smell that those basements have.
Yeah, it's mildew!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM

66 posts, read 145,209 times
Ok, here is a good list from someone who has lived in flood zones her whole life. Not by choice, but just because I was either little and lived there by default, or now in Lodi, am just here because I am waiting to leave. Ok:

Hunterdon county floods, Stockton-Delaware, parts of Lambertville, Frenchtown-Kingwood, Milford-Alexandria-Holland, well basically everything on the Delaware. Warren county, Knowlton, Colombia, Portland (Which is actually PA, but you can't even really tell...), Harmony, Philipsburg, Alpha, parts of Blairstown, but only certain spots that are low lying and come in the path of the tributaries that are there. Passiac county, just stay away, because most of the county floods. Any realtor there will be able to send you in the right direction, but just because you asked the zones are as follows: Wayne and Lincoln park (LP is is morris county, but they are neighbors so it is worth mentioning), at the rt 23 base (where the Passiac River divides them), located by the train station. Do not buy there, it will wash away, I lived there, I know. We had boats to go to the stores. There are dry areas in both these towns though, and if you buy there, you will be fine. Also, there are razed houses along the river there, (also in Harmony you will see the same thing), but who wants to live 3 stories off the ground? Thats weird. West Paterson along the river & Little Falls also floods, but it is mainly concentrated in the Singac section. Pompton Lakes, and and Wanaque also flood, Pompton Lakes especially, and ESPECIALLY PEAQUANNOCK! Stay away from there (Which is Morris County anyway, but still they are super close to each other). Since the dam was built at the top of the Ramapo river in Oakland, all the water is diverted and it falls right there. Also along the rt 20 corridor, you have Hawthorn (but only the base), Paterson, Prospect Park also flood. The city of Passaic also floods a bit, but lord knows you don't want to live there. Clifton is pretty safe, there are areas that you may want to stay away from because of crime, but not water. As for Bergen, all of River Road in Fairlawn and Elmwood Park flood. Although most of the houses on the EP side are slightly higher than the water levels as they are built on hills, over looking the Passiac River (god what a view), but Fairlawn gets it pretty hard. Bergen county actually has A LOT of flood zones that you may not even think existed. We have a lot of rivers and small streams that overflow easily. Also, the southern area of the county is located in the meadows, and the Hackensack and Overpeck rivers are prone to flooding. Areas in Hackensack flood, as well as New Milford and Bergenfield and Dumont. While there hasn't really been a bad one yet, Edgewater requires flood insurance, because of the Hudson River. Areas of Garfield flood, as well as Lodi (where I live now, which trust me, gets hit hard). The Saddle River runs right behind main street and overflows onto Main Street and the water gets really deep. As long as you stay closer to the Boulevard in Hasbrouck Heights, or up on the hills to the west of Main street you would be fine. Here is the FEMA map for Bergen County http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/pdf/mit...ixi_bergen.pdf You can look at it and see the green areas are flood zones. Oakland and Mahwah flood in areas, along the Ramapo, but not as much now that the dam is there. There is so much water in Bergen County, but people don't think of it as a place of lakes and ponds because its so over developed, but there are many Rivers here, large and small. Morris county as a whole, is similar to Passaic, a lot of spots that flood. I mentioned LP and Peaquannock, but also Denville, parts of Dover, Rockaway, Randolph, Montville, Longhill Twp, Hanover, East Hanover, Parsippany-Troy Hills (thats a big one...). Sussex is pretty safe, some flash flooding from the lakes probably, there are some flood zones in Vernon and an area to be watched in Newton, but you're so high in the mountains there, that its ok. Somerset, is a mess. My aunt lives in Manville, in an area that isn't even considered a flood zone, and her house basically washed away during Irene. So, Manville, Boundbrook, South Boundbrook, parts of Warren, Somerville,Raritan, All along the canal that runs through Franklin into Montgomery, which includes Millstone. Parts of Hillsborough, and parts of Branchburg and Bedminster. Basically everywhere the Raritan River and the Boundbrook River flow. Union County, I don't remember if you asked about it, also floods, in Clark and Cranbury especially. There is a huge river that runs right down through Clark, right when you get off the Parkway. I looked at a house there, it was above the river, but that damn river was too close for comfort.

I think that was all you asked about, no? If I forgot anything, sorry. Good luck. All realtors should know the flood zones in their area. Also, any house that floods or has been flooded needs to be disclosed by the realtor and the previous owner.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM

66 posts, read 145,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, it's mildew!
No, not always. Some basements could just be damp from ground water. They will smell dank and feel cold. This is a normal basement. Mold and mildew are distinct and could occur from anything, not just flooding. If there is a washer and dryer in the basement or a sump-pump (not only house with them flood btw, my mom has one and she lives on a hill- its solely for removing ground water from the land around her when there is a heavy rain) that has standing water or has had a spill can cause the same smell that you might associate with a flood.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,055,422 times
Despite the long list of towns shown below, the vast majority of real estate is not in a flood zone and rarely floods. Even the notorious towns: Wayne, Pequannock, Lincoln Park, and Little Falls, are mostly not in flood zones. Check the FEMA maps. The flood plains that have experienced spectacular and repeated flooding, are well known, and easily avoided.

However, even areas outside known flood zones can flood given the right precipitation pattern. Therefore, to mostly protect yourself when buying or owning a home:

1) Do not buy a home in a known flood zone.
2) Do not buy a home near a river or lake unless it is clearly much higher than said river or lake.
3) Install 2 independent sump pumps in your basement, regardless of whether the basement has ever had a drop of water.
4) Install a backup generator to power the sumps in the event of a prolonged power failure. With that in mind, natural gas service is a big plus for powering the generator. The next best option is propane.

That should cover most of the flooding issue. Stay out of flood areas, and protect yourself from floods even in those areas that rarely flood with commonly available technology.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,166,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsg View Post
Ok, here is a good list from someone who has lived in flood zones her whole life. Not by choice, but just because I was either little and lived there by default, or now in Lodi, am just here because I am waiting to leave. Ok:

Hunterdon county floods, Stockton-Delaware, parts of Lambertville, Frenchtown-Kingwood, Milford-Alexandria-Holland, well basically everything on the Delaware. Warren county, Knowlton, Colombia, Portland (Which is actually PA, but you can't even really tell...), Harmony, Philipsburg, Alpha, parts of Blairstown, but only certain spots that are low lying and come in the path of the tributaries that are there. Passiac county, just stay away, because most of the county floods. Any realtor there will be able to send you in the right direction, but just because you asked the zones are as follows: Wayne and Lincoln park (LP is is morris county, but they are neighbors so it is worth mentioning), at the rt 23 base (where the Passiac River divides them), located by the train station. Do not buy there, it will wash away, I lived there, I know. We had boats to go to the stores. There are dry areas in both these towns though, and if you buy there, you will be fine. Also, there are razed houses along the river there, (also in Harmony you will see the same thing), but who wants to live 3 stories off the ground? Thats weird. West Paterson along the river & Little Falls also floods, but it is mainly concentrated in the Singac section. Pompton Lakes, and and Wanaque also flood, Pompton Lakes especially, and ESPECIALLY PEAQUANNOCK! Stay away from there (Which is Morris County anyway, but still they are super close to each other). Since the dam was built at the top of the Ramapo river in Oakland, all the water is diverted and it falls right there. Also along the rt 20 corridor, you have Hawthorn (but only the base), Paterson, Prospect Park also flood. The city of Passaic also floods a bit, but lord knows you don't want to live there. Clifton is pretty safe, there are areas that you may want to stay away from because of crime, but not water. As for Bergen, all of River Road in Fairlawn and Elmwood Park flood. Although most of the houses on the EP side are slightly higher than the water levels as they are built on hills, over looking the Passiac River (god what a view), but Fairlawn gets it pretty hard. Bergen county actually has A LOT of flood zones that you may not even think existed. We have a lot of rivers and small streams that overflow easily. Also, the southern area of the county is located in the meadows, and the Hackensack and Overpeck rivers are prone to flooding. Areas in Hackensack flood, as well as New Milford and Bergenfield and Dumont. While there hasn't really been a bad one yet, Edgewater requires flood insurance, because of the Hudson River. Areas of Garfield flood, as well as Lodi (where I live now, which trust me, gets hit hard). The Saddle River runs right behind main street and overflows onto Main Street and the water gets really deep. As long as you stay closer to the Boulevard in Hasbrouck Heights, or up on the hills to the west of Main street you would be fine. Here is the FEMA map for Bergen County http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/pdf/mit...ixi_bergen.pdf You can look at it and see the green areas are flood zones. Oakland and Mahwah flood in areas, along the Ramapo, but not as much now that the dam is there. There is so much water in Bergen County, but people don't think of it as a place of lakes and ponds because its so over developed, but there are many Rivers here, large and small. Morris county as a whole, is similar to Passaic, a lot of spots that flood. I mentioned LP and Peaquannock, but also Denville, parts of Dover, Rockaway, Randolph, Montville, Longhill Twp, Hanover, East Hanover, Parsippany-Troy Hills (thats a big one...). Sussex is pretty safe, some flash flooding from the lakes probably, there are some flood zones in Vernon and an area to be watched in Newton, but you're so high in the mountains there, that its ok. Somerset, is a mess. My aunt lives in Manville, in an area that isn't even considered a flood zone, and her house basically washed away during Irene. So, Manville, Boundbrook, South Boundbrook, parts of Warren, Somerville,Raritan, All along the canal that runs through Franklin into Montgomery, which includes Millstone. Parts of Hillsborough, and parts of Branchburg and Bedminster. Basically everywhere the Raritan River and the Boundbrook River flow. Union County, I don't remember if you asked about it, also floods, in Clark and Cranbury especially. There is a huge river that runs right down through Clark, right when you get off the Parkway. I looked at a house there, it was above the river, but that damn river was too close for comfort.

I think that was all you asked about, no? If I forgot anything, sorry. Good luck. All realtors should know the flood zones in their area. Also, any house that floods or has been flooded needs to be disclosed by the realtor and the previous owner.
Many thanks for that list!
I have to write all this down

Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,356,286 times
Definitely avoid Pompton Plains (part of Pequannock). There was terrible flooding. In the following article, it explains how Plaza 23 shopping center was hit hard for the second time by flooding in two years, this time by Irene!

Recovery begins at Plaza 23 shopping center in Pequannock - NorthJersey.com

I just drove up there last week -- and McDonalds, A&P, TJ Maxx, and HomeGoods are still closed five months later, and I don't know whether they will ever reopen.

The stores are completely empty, the contents destroyed, and many others have left.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 4,399,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I lived for ten years up on Garret Mountain in West Paterson. After that, I said I wanted to live somewhere flat. The icy hills in the winter were a killer.

Now I live somewhere TOTALLY flat. But I don't live too close to any water. I had no flooding problems AND I don't have hills in the winter.
I'll take the snowy hills! Ice is another animal, but we have 2 driveways (one mile to the road from the house). One driveway is paved and quite steep, the other is gradual and stone - better for traction.

I'd rather be stuck in the house and/or without power for a few than lose everything I own EVER again.

That said, to each their own. I'm glad you are happier AND no where near water

Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 AM

272 posts, read 430,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsg View Post
Union County, I don't remember if you asked about it, also floods, in Clark and Cranbury especially.
I believe you meant Cranford of Union County. Cranbury is in Middlesex County, and does not flood, to my knowledge.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM

32 posts, read 58,869 times
Even if you live in a home not in a flood zone, I assume a commute to and from work would be snarled by flooding in that town? Wayne, for example.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,762,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
I believe you meant Cranford of Union County. Cranbury is in Middlesex County, and does not flood, to my knowledge.
The lake in Cranbury has flooded parts of the town twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey