Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I hope people realize your SUPPOSED to pay sales tax on internet purchases.
I hope people realize that our tax money SUPPOSED to put into good. Like fixing up road, educating our kids. Not seeing any of them.

I moved in my blocks for 2 years, and the street still fill of holes.

My property tax is increase year after year. 70% of the money SUPPOSED to go to school, yet teacher get lay off. Supplies is a responsibility of the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
No you don't. But, you are suppose to pay a "use tax." I don't know anyone that has ever paid a use tax on goods ordered through the internet and I've never been told by an out-of-state company that it's even required by NJ. The "use tax" is the same percentage as the sales tax rate.

"...Companies that don't have an office or employees in New Jersey and do not use their own vehicles to deliver goods into this State are not required to register or collect New Jersey sales tax. ..." NJ Division of Taxation - Sales & Use Tax: Mail Orders

"...Internet purchases are treated in the same manner as purchases made through the mail. If the Internet retailer does not have a physical business presence in New Jersey and is not registered with the State, sales tax is not collected on items delivered into the State and the customer must remit use tax to New Jersey. ..." http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa.../sales/su5.pdf

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Certainly not. A sales tax on internet purchases would be an unconstitutional tax on interstate commerce. Instead, you're supposed to pay a "use tax" on everything you use in NJ, with deductions for any sales tax you pay (whether to NJ or any other state).

Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Did nobody read the article?

They would be setting up 2 warehouses with 1500 workers total. Pay range being $11-14 an hour for the typical worker...

Its a non-union company paying non-competitive wages that dont cover the Cost of living in the state. Outside some ancillary businesses getting somewhat increased business, theres not much to this.

Its not a bad thing, but its really nothing to get excited over.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I don't want Amazon's to come here. I shop at it all the time. If they move here, I am going to drop it like I drop Newegg.
Used to work for a trucking company and we would deliver full truckloads to Newegg in Edison almost every day.

Newegg accounted for a good 3-4% of our (busy) local terminals business.

Getting the kind of activity an Amazon facility would bring would be big for trucking and support businesses like that, but these are not good jobs that Amazon is providing to people.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Did nobody read the article?

They would be setting up 2 warehouses with 1500 workers total. Pay range being $11-14 an hour for the typical worker...

Its a non-union company paying non-competitive wages that dont cover the Cost of living in the state. Outside some ancillary businesses getting somewhat increased business, theres not much to this.

Its not a bad thing, but its really nothing to get excited over.
Right, working conditions are poor in Amazon warehouses. Not sure if this is true for any warehouse jobs or just at Amazon.

Amazon Accused Of Sweatshop Conditions, Terrible Work Environment - HotHardware

Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
The tax is "Sales and Use Tax" they are not separate taxes.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The tax is "Sales and Use Tax" they are not separate taxes.
Sales and use tax are separate. If you file quarterly, there is an area to record sales tax owed to NJ and there's an area to record use tax owed to NJ.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
I do this for a living it is the same tax. The same law.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I do this for a living it is the same tax. The same law.
Do what for a living? Tax preparer or business owner that pays NJ taxes? They are not recorded on the same line when you pay the state sales and/or use tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey