Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,182,613 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

What is your overall opinion on the town of Edison, NJ? I gather North Edison is more appealing for some reason but cannot find which!

The only requirement I have is a good high school as my son will be transferring. In my searches I found Edison has a LOT of single family homes on sale!! Wow price ranges in the 250k+++++ for nice looking homes, my budget is only 400k max and there are quite a few that fall just below this but which area /streets are considered safe? Is Edison in the flooding zone?

Any advice on Edison living? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 AM

bump Anyone??

Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 AM

312 posts, read 1,161,233 times
Edison as you already know is split into 2 parts with Metuchen lying in between them. There is the North side which is serviced by JP Stevens High School and the South Side which is serviced by Edison High school. JP Stevens is more highly regarded and that is why the North side of Edison is more desirable for families. Also, the North side of Edison is quieter and has larger lots and larger homes. The South side of Edison has route 1 running through it and is more commercial. The North side of Edison is surrounded mostly by Metuchen, Scotch Plains, South Plainfield and Iselin and is much quieter.

We moved to the North Side of Edison 3 years ago and the main reasons were:
-ease commute into NYC (there are 3 nearby NJT stations with 6 trains into NYC between 7 and 8am
-diverse community and abundance of ethnic groceries
-JP Stevens High School

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Edison as you already know is split into 2 parts with Metuchen lying in between them. There is the North side which is serviced by JP Stevens High School and the South Side which is serviced by Edison High school. JP Stevens is more highly regarded and that is why the North side of Edison is more desirable for families. Also, the North side of Edison is quieter and has larger lots and larger homes. The South side of Edison has route 1 running through it and is more commercial. The North side of Edison is surrounded mostly by Metuchen, Scotch Plains, South Plainfield and Iselin and is much quieter.

We moved to the North Side of Edison 3 years ago and the main reasons were:
-ease commute into NYC (there are 3 nearby NJT stations with 6 trains into NYC between 7 and 8am
-diverse community and abundance of ethnic groceries
-JP Stevens High School
Thank you for sharing that! I did like the grand sizes of the homes in N. Edison! I know it is a generally safe area, however since living there would you recommend staying away from certain streets?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 18,331 times
I am an Edison, NJ resident, and agree with artDSS that North Edison can be considered more desirable in that the high school is rated better, and there tends to be newer houses and bigger lots. A problem with Edison is that there is a huge amount of traffic, so you need to be careful about that. I think that many of the newer neighborhoods are better designed in terms of traffic, so I am off Rt 24, a major town artery, but my neighborhood is so cleverly designed (it was built in the 80s), I don't see too much traffic. So I would be very interested in finding out when a house was built if I were to purchase in Edison, and not favor homes built before the mid 1980s, as I would be highly concerned that the development has too much thru-fare traffic.
There is no "unsafe" part of town. Edison is a safe area. Now traffic on the other hand . . .
Overall, I am glad that you are looking at Edison. Edison has great schools (though overcrowded); low crime; easy access to major highways & public transportation to NYC; relatively affordable housing; relatively low property taxes (at least compared to Essex & other northern counties); a diverse population; great ethnic restautants; great ethnic supermarkets; and nice parks. Except for the Clara Barton section, much of Edison doesn't have a pretty town center. It also has too much traffic, but its multiple benefits outweigh these drawbacks imo.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 AM

All of Edison is pretty safe but the North Side is going to be safer as it is sheltered from a lot of the bigger roadways.&nbsp; The South side of Edison has a lot of major roadways cutting through it and that is going to lead to more incidents.&nbsp; Along the Rt. 1 corridor especially.&nbsp; If you are asking about the North side of Edison specifically, all of the North Side is pretty safe, though I'd prefer to be further away from the condo/apt complexes.&nbsp; Can't really say that any of North Edison is really bad, nor can I say any streets are really bad but I would not want to live on one of the busier streets.&nbsp; That is true for any neighborhood though.<br>

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Thank you both!! I am on home hunting mission starting now!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 18,331 times
There are some new developments on the south side that don't have too much traffic, so don't count that area automatically out.

Hey, I own a condo in a condo development! We have had no crime, geez.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Viewer View Post
There are some new developments on the south side that don't have too much traffic, so don't count that area automatically out.

Hey, I own a condo in a condo development! We have had no crime, geez.
Sorry, did not mean to imply that. That statement was meant towards home buyers who are buying an actual house. When buying a house people generally prefer to not be on a big street but also to be on a nice quiet street, away from apts and condos and also commercial properties.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM

201 posts, read 617,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Viewer View Post
I am an Edison, NJ resident, and agree with artDSS that North Edison can be considered more desirable in that the high school is rated better, and there tends to be newer houses and bigger lots. A problem with Edison is that there is a huge amount of traffic, so you need to be careful about that. I think that many of the newer neighborhoods are better designed in terms of traffic, so I am off Rt 24, a major town artery, but my neighborhood is so cleverly designed (it was built in the 80s), I don't see too much traffic. So I would be very interested in finding out when a house was built if I were to purchase in Edison, and not favor homes built before the mid 1980s, as I would be highly concerned that the development has too much thru-fare traffic.
There is no "unsafe" part of town. Edison is a safe area. Now traffic on the other hand . . .
Overall, I am glad that you are looking at Edison. Edison has great schools (though overcrowded); low crime; easy access to major highways & public transportation to NYC; relatively affordable housing; relatively low property taxes (at least compared to Essex & other northern counties); a diverse population; great ethnic restautants; great ethnic supermarkets; and nice parks. Except for the Clara Barton section, much of Edison doesn't have a pretty town center. It also has too much traffic, but its multiple benefits outweigh these drawbacks imo.

Aren't they builiding that so called "town center" off route 1, where the ford factory used to be? The things some developers use to market their oversized strip malls.

Last edited by subban; 02-23-2012 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey