Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM

8 posts, read 36,534 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to westfield or scotch plains or similar towns from Hoboken. Have a 2yo son and one on the way. We are looking for a community-oriented town with excellent schools and I love the idea of Westfield with the walkable downtown and proximity to restaurants, shops, activities etc considering we have been in Hoboken for the last 10 years. Proximity to NYC trains is not a factor for us. The high real estate in Westfield has prompted us to look at neighboring towns like Scotch Plains. Can anyone tell me anything about the schools there? Also, as I started this search I was shocked to learn that almost all public kindergarden programs are half-day. Can anyone share their experience on how you feel about this, particularly the programs/schools in these towns? I feel like with such a short day the teachers will cram all of the material into a few hours and students will get left behind if they dont follow - however, I dont know anyone with a child in any of these programs so would love to get other perspectives. Any other towns to suggest? What about Berkeley Heights, Maplewood? I am really just trying to collect information so would love perspective from others. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,059 times
There is a lot of information in the archives on Westfield and Scotch Plains, they are both great towns with great schools. I guess if you went by test scores published, one school or another school may be slightly higher on any given year, but overall, I think all of the schools in these towns (and add Cranford and Fanwood to your search too) are pretty much the same.

Yes the public kindergartens are half-day. I have a first grader who went to Westfield's Lincoln school (all kindergartners in the town go to one school for kindergarten, then to their "home" school for 1st-5th grades), and he is not "behind" at all. In first grade, half of the kids came from the public kindergarten, and half came from private kindergartens (many are full day). The teacher says she can't tell the difference between the students. Lincoln (kindergarten) doesn't cram too much in or over-emphasize academics, it's very age-appropriate and they have Art, Music, Library, etc. And it hasn't been a disadvantage to my son at all. In fact, I believe kids should play and be kids for as long as possible.

Here is the link to where you can look at test scores. Though I think a school shouldn't be judged on test scores alone, it is a starting place.

New Jersey Department of Education | Report Card

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM

312 posts, read 685,994 times
If you are looking in that general area, you may want to consider Springfield. They have a half-day public Pre-K, and a full day Kindergarten.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 36,534 times
thank you for the great feedback. I will considering the neighboring towns you mentioned as well. I'm glad to hear that all of the schools are pretty much the same.

Can anyone comment on Berkeley Heights or Mountainside?

Does anyone have experience with Brunner elementary school in Scotch Plains? The home we are considering falls in that school district and I have read some not great reviews online about it.

I'm probably overanalyzing this, but I just don't want to move and then be stuck in a sub-par school and be forced to pay for private.

Thank you!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 AM

101 posts, read 460,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
If you are looking in that general area, you may want to consider Springfield. They have a half-day public Pre-K, and a full day Kindergarten.
Love my town (springfield), direct message me if you want more info.. I've posted on this subject previously too.. don't know the link though, i'd have to search it out.. both my 2 kids are in Walton, K and 1st, and daughter is in nursery school.. we're happy

edit: here's the post I had commented on.. http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...l#post12479180

Last edited by njplay; 02-23-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: adding link to previous post

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM

189 posts, read 582,497 times
Schools in all of the towns mentioned are extremely good. You cannot go wrong with Cranford, Westfield, Scotch Plains/Fanwood (they are merging), Mountainside, or Berkeley Heights. I would also add in New Providence and Summit to this list. These towns are perennially near the top of the high school ranking lists. The difference between then is insignificant from a school perspective. If a walkable downtown is important to you then you will be limited to Westfield, Summit, and Cranford.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Westfield is a great town, very community oriented. The only drawback is there is no direct train to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey