Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 AM

88 posts, read 262,718 times

Advertisements

We're looking to buy a condo/1 family home in one of the neighborhoods listed above for under 150k. We have a 1 yr old and our family is in manhattan. I've seen some condos recently go for cheap in WNY and some parts of the heights (like bowers st). I was wondering if there were any boundaries (like UES/East harlem borders) ? What about Union city around the park or down central avenue? Are there any areas to avoid or blocks to avoid? We have a car so we're used to manhattan parking in the street at nights-sometimes it could take 1/2 an hour. Any advice is well appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,570,869 times
safest part of the jc heights is west of kennedy blvd. 2 schools are pretty decent for city standards are 25 and 27 schools. i went to 25 and it is now called nicholas copernicus school. u can take a bus to the path station or direct access to nyc. any other questions feel free to pml me as i have lived in that area for over 30 years and been in and out for over 50 years.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

412 posts, read 1,323,106 times
I lived on Sherman Avenue in the Heights for 3 years and Bowers & Central Avenue isn't that bad.

The border line is Paterson Plank & Palisades Avenue with is the border line for Union City & JCH.

I really would avoid Palisades Ave. I only used it to catch the #123 to NY in the a.m and in the evening. It gets very quiet and desolate at night.

Parking, you will have to get a permit from the JC Parking Authority which is next to the post office on Central Ave.

Central Avenue isn't that bad, it has its moments like any quite street in NY but basically is cool.

The Shop & Stop there is ok, but I would suggest going to Shop Rite, where there is one located at the bottom of the Congress St. LIght Rail and one is near the Newport Mall.

Like I said the NJ Transit bus #123 runs on Palisades Ave, and goes straight into NY. It' cost like 4.80 one way and the monthly pass would be a zone three pass and cost $136.00/month.

There is a new bus I heard that runs on Central and is operated by NJ Transit. When I lived there the Coach 10 & 99 ran but I heard they no longer do.

Basically my three years in JCH was ok. I had no problems and it's an up and coming area.

I left because I got homesick and moved back to NY because everything closed to dang early, lol.

Hope this helps you.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,507,482 times
I'd be interested in finding out more. Surely it can't all be bad.

I hear Ogden is really up and coming. Some parts of Palisades are definitely sketch.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

595 posts, read 1,548,729 times
you should look into the condos in the 30th-45th or so street in union city. they are on park ave and it borders weehawken. very safe, clean area. and the commute to the city would be fast and you would have the option of taking a bus from park ave or walking to blvd east and taking the 24 hour busses there. but buying a condo only makes sense if you plan on living there for at least 5-7 years or so....the years of making profits from condos are gone...its very little if any. i prefer weehawken the most, its safe...clean...and has good schools

Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM

88 posts, read 262,718 times
So we checked out the neighborhood this past weedend. I could see east of JFK more crowded/less residential, is that why its a worse area? We also looked slightly out of JC heights into union city (summit av after paterson plank road) do you know anything about this area? It was pretty spanish but I saw white people (maybe from north bergen?) Also how could I cross over to hoboken with a stroller? And which transportation would be best to get into the city with a stroller and baby? Also what about the tip of JC heights near concord st?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey