Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 13,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvhughes View Post
I still say it really depends on where you are looking and what you are looking for. It also depends on the kind of person you are. Frankly if you just want to live with rich white people go to Wayne or Alpine or some such hideous place.

But I'm assuming that you mention Greenville because you're not loaded with cash. If you are, just forget it and move to Paulus Hook or Newport if you want JC. Are you buying? Or just renting? Do you have a family? I don't think I'd buy in most parts of Greenville, but I'd rent in others.

I can tell you that our home has practically doubled in value in two years. Yes, the schools stink, and the taxes suck, yes I have found drug paraphenalia on my sidewalk, I've shooed a bum from my porch, and yes I have heard gunshots, but JC is also vital, vibrant and electric.

I love the fact that I can hear about a dozen languages on my walk to the fruit stand. I like being a part of revitalizing the community, meeting kooky characters out of a Elmore Leonard novel every day. One night after eating my take-out Ethiopian food I heard a guy practicing jazz riffs on his trumpet somewhere in the apartment building on my block. Can't find that in the burbs, baby.

Every city's got warts and either it works for you or it doesn't...

*gets off soap box*

great reply. i couldn't agree with you more.

born, raised and currently residing in south (greenville) jersey city. let's just say if your driving you don't have to worry about getting pulled over for bs like nyc or newark, etc.

cops have more serious things to worry about. homicide, drugs, etc.

i'm a graduate of snyder high school. to out of town people, greenville is bad. alot of people locked up and gone away for a long time that you know well. other's making attempt to get out the hood. everycorner has a liquor store and chicken spot. for us who are from here, it's everyday life and not bad @ all. i guess thats the good part of growin up in the ghetto.

i suggest audobon apartments or an apartment on stegman parkway. paramapo, custer, persall, linden, lembeck and bartholdi are some blocks you could look into when getting an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 38,144 times
I agree with the readers who says, it depends on what you are looking for in JC.

I've lived here for 2.5 years, i'm not white and not rich, i earn about $75k per year. I live somewhere around West Side Ave, i've never had a problem,.....i retract....I got 6 parking tickets the first year i moved here until my garage was ready....but as far as crime..never. I'm single, i've come home late many times from travel and have never had any trouble.

My commute is 45 min to an hour door to door. I love every bit of it. I moved in my apt, because i only had 2 weeks to find one before my job started, and have been renewing my lease since.

I'm moving at the end of my lease, but not out of JC just to a bigger place.

You'll find something nice in JC, follow your instincts about a place, you'll be fine.

I agree with the other reader, respect people and they will respect you, that with common sense.....enjoy JC.

Last edited by mzfields; 03-21-2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,226,465 times
[quote]I agree with the other reader, respect people and they will respect you, that with common sense.[quote]

I visit my son there who lives near Journal Square and for what appears to be a rich, old (white) lady I've never had any trouble. I've walked the couple of blocks to the apt alone at night, no problem. As a matter of fact everyone was friendly, and ironically enough it was the scariest looking young man on the train who was the one to volunteer his seat to me.

If you're a city person as you say, and check out the dynamics of your potential neighborhood, it is an easier trek into Manhattan than the Bronx. A picturesque waterfront, huge park to the south, nice new mall, as well as the funky city stuff you'll like.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:49 PM

359 posts, read 2,588,164 times
like most people said Greenville is up and coming. I wouldn't say its there yet though. I looked for an apartment there a while back but never moved in cause of money issues but if you have the money to rent then i would definatley recommend it. (not that it costs alot in Greenville). Also I found that theres alot of single and double family homes for rent in Greenville. Alot of them are fixer uppers that had been recently fixed up. So you should definatley check it out. Plus Jersey City in general is great. Like mentioned before its very diverse and there is lots to do and ofcaurse you have the city right across the water and Hoboken next door. Its all there. Anywhere in Jersey City would be a great place.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
like most people said Greenville is up and coming. I wouldn't say its there yet though. I looked for an apartment there a while back but never moved in cause of money issues but if you have the money to rent then i would definatley recommend it. (not that it costs alot in Greenville). Also I found that theres alot of single and double family homes for rent in Greenville. Alot of them are fixer uppers that had been recently fixed up. So you should definatley check it out. Plus Jersey City in general is great. Like mentioned before its very diverse and there is lots to do and ofcaurse you have the city right across the water and Hoboken next door. Its all there. Anywhere in Jersey City would be a great place.
Greenville can't be as bad as where I am from, which is Paterson.

I go through Jersey City a lot, and I really enjoy it, other than seeing a big brawl in Journal Square back in March. If I moved to Jersey City, I would definitely consider the Heights, West Side, or Newport area.

I could see good things coming for Jersey City, unlike Newark or my hometown unfortunately.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
I currently live in Greenville right by the old hospital that they just closed down.
The pro's about Greenville
Cheep
Well lighting
fast police responce
During the day it is quiet

Cons about Greenville
before you leave your car you have to strip it of anything visibally valuable
people with drugs
people with guns

Now I dont know if it is up and coming.. I do know that if you are the type of person who wants to come home after dark I do not recomend it. Im doing ok there cuz Im not a partier and once the sun goes down Im inside. But if I had children I would not be living there. Right now Im young and working so its not that big of a thing. But I know that when my lease is up Im runing back to Bayonne. If you can I recomend living in Bayonne. I find there is less of a likelyhood of stumbeling on a bad neighborhood if you rent below 46th St.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 AM

3 posts, read 17,936 times
you r right my blding is in greenville section.All these years i never had problem & suddenly one of my tenant in store without my knowledge rented to subtenat who molsted a little child where he lived, not at my place. but now jc police is after me. all these happened without my knowledge. i wish i can help police dept but he ran away somewhere. nobody can find him. I am 67years old with quadrupal by pass,taking 5 pills every morning, cant evn walk without cane. I dont live there but i nve egnored my home. I didnt spend penny for my self but i always kept my house updated. but now fire escape? none of the other 9 homes have. we have one to run out frm the roof only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey