Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's better?
SI 12 23.53%
NNJ 39 76.47%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I would rather live in Staten Island than Glen Ridge.
That would make you unwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:00 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Neither is exactly the place to be, but North Jersey at least has some very nice areas. Very costly, and you have more than enough of the dumps to balance them out, but they are there.

Staten Island on the other hand is just plain disgusting throughout. Why do you think people call it the Forgotten Borough of NYC? Because it is wishful thinking. It is at best forgotten. Guido wite twash with the stench of toxic waste seeping out of the landfills high as real mountains off the West Shore Expressway which NYDOT named after NJ 440 since they connect via Outerbridge Crossing and Bayonne Bridge. And to top it off, it is physically closer to NJ than the rest of NYC, it is just that NYC has an ego so big that it likes to believe it can acquire anything like it is a major world power. And what does NYC do to it? Uses it as a garbage dump. "Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots."
It is so sad when ignorant, misinformed people take it on their own to desecrate another area, without knowing much about it. Let me educate you on SI. It is a small island in the middle between NY and NJ, that for being small has one of the highest income levels , in NYC. Along with a multitude of mansions, in the million of dollars. Property taxes are quite low. because it falls under the 5 boroughs of NYC. Sure it has some parts in the North that are less than desirable, just like Newark, Camden, Plainfield, Patterson, New Brunswick, Rahway, Linden, etc., but overall, it is pretty much very nice.

It is very diverse with ethnic groups such as: Russians, Irish, Italians, Spanish, Germans and many other groups along with some Blacks. It has a very rich history, and it was home to the Vanderbilts, Austen, and the Outterbridge families, among many other notables. It is according to City Data, 72% White.

It is very family oriented, and has many excellent schools, and fantastic people living here .

In addition to that, it has a multitude of greenways, lakes, reserves, birds sanctuaries, many Zagat- endorsed restaurants, boutiques, fantastic bakeries, etc.

Please. visit these websites so you can educate yourself more. Thank you,

www.statenislandusa.com

www.visitstatenisland.com

Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Weeeerd. Plus that dump been closed for 10 yrs and they are turning it into a park, which is gonna be way bigger than Central Park.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Wait a minute! Glen Ridge, is that the town where four high-school athletes raped a mentally-challenged young woman with a bat? There is a book about that town, called "Our Guys." The parents did not raise them too well.

Except those high-school boys must now be in their thirties. Will you condemn an entire town based on what some horrible people did years ago?

In that case, let's toss out Westfield because of John List.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 AM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
Doesn't one say live "on" Staten Island? I have a friend that, funnily enough, grew up on SI and lived in Glen Ridge. Couldn't get out of SI fast enough. Another grew up there and stayed. He can go down to the beach and fish for a few hours after work. Taxes are low, but schools are weak. It's an island, but then you are stuck at certain times of day. Easy to get to Brooklyn and NJ and a nice boat ride to downtown if that works for you.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Doesn't one say live "on" Staten Island? I have a friend that, funnily enough, grew up on SI and lived in Glen Ridge. Couldn't get out of SI fast enough. Another grew up there and stayed. He can go down to the beach and fish for a few hours after work. Taxes are low, but schools are weak. It's an island, but then you are stuck at certain times of day. Easy to get to Brooklyn and NJ and a nice boat ride to downtown if that works for you.
I have a friend whose father is in construction, and when she got married he built her a gorgeous house on Staten Island. It seems to me to be too big a house for the lot size, but that seems to be standard for SI and appears a lot in NJ now, too.

Anyway, when I went to visit her, I was shocked. Most of Staten Island seems to be crowded, old decaying houses squished up next to one another, bad roads, but then when you pull off the main street to get to her house (and she's near the water), it's a lovely little neighborhood with large new homes, very quiet, and she has woods across the street. It's some sort of state land or park or something that won't be built on.

Still, she did have an issue last year when she noticed cars being parked on her dead-end street and came to realize that men were picking up hookers and then driving them to her street to have them perform their services. She went outside a couple of times and knocked on the car windows and told them she was calling the cops, and they seem to have found another spot.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a friend whose father is in construction, and when she got married he built her a gorgeous house on Staten Island. It seems to me to be too big a house for the lot size, but that seems to be standard for SI and appears a lot in NJ now, too.

Anyway, when I went to visit her, I was shocked. Most of Staten Island seems to be crowded, old decaying houses squished up next to one another, bad roads, but then when you pull off the main street to get to her house (and she's near the water), it's a lovely little neighborhood with large new homes, very quiet, and she has woods across the street. It's some sort of state land or park or something that won't be built on.

Still, she did have an issue last year when she noticed cars being parked on her dead-end street and came to realize that men were picking up hookers and then driving them to her street to have them perform their services. She went outside a couple of times and knocked on the car windows and told them she was calling the cops, and they seem to have found another spot.
From what I've seen, most of the North Shore is crowded with decayed houses, as you go south it's a lot nicer and more suburban. The roads are not that better in NJ. Matter fact, the roads are terrible in NYC and this whole metro area. I'm saying it as someone who moved here recently and have something to compare with.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
From what I've seen, most of the Northern part is crowded with decayed houses, as you go south it's a lot nicer and more suburban. The roads are not that better in NJ. Matter fact, the roads are terrible in NYC and this whole metro area.
Can't argue with that, depending upon where in NJ you are, and I haven't been all over Staten Island, but I know when I went to visit my friend, some of the main roads seemed to have been repaired so many times they were just varying heights of lumps of asphalt and probably need to be completely torn up and redone. My friend lives on the southern/eastern side of SI. On the way to her house (and her wedding/shower/christening) is where I've seen some of the worst parts, though.

You are right about roads here compared to other parts of the country. We have so much traffic and there is so much damage but no one wants to pay for it and complains not only when they do have to pay for it, but when the actual construction is going on, too!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Wait a minute! Glen Ridge, is that the town where four high-school athletes raped a mentally-challenged young woman with a bat? There is a book about that town, called "Our Guys." The parents did not raise them too well.

After nearly 25 years, serial Staten Island rapist Bourlaye Toure set to be released | SILive.com

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
It is very diverse with ethnic groups such as: Russians, Irish, Italians, Spanish, Germans and many other groups along with some Blacks. It has a very rich history, and it was home to the Vanderbilts, Austen, and the Outterbridge families, among many other notables. It is according to City Data, 72% White.
According to the 2010 census, it's 64% White (City-data just used an estimate, and I think those are actually the numbers from 2000).

I assume you live on SI like I do, so you're probably familiar with how the demographics are distributed, but here's a map of the 2010 census for anybody who's interested: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
From what I've seen, most of the North Shore is crowded with decayed houses, as you go south it's a lot nicer and more suburban. The roads are not that better in NJ. Matter fact, the roads are terrible in NYC and this whole metro area. I'm saying it as someone who moved here recently and have something to compare with.
Yeah, the North Shore would be the only portion that could really be considered to have "decaying housing stock", because it's the oldest portion of the borough. Even so, that only applies to the Far North Shore (mostly in the areas along Richmond Terrace and Bay Street), and even some of the "decaying" areas are alright safety-wise.

And yeah, the further south you go, the more suburban it becomes. And nothing could really be considered "decaying" on the South Shore. You either have new townhouses or larger homes that are a little bit older (though still relatively new. Maybe from the 1980s or so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey