Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No, but you are wrong here. Whether or not you want to admit it, you are NY and Philly. You may want to root for the Devils if you are in Cape May, but you would be in the extreme minority. NJ is an innately suburban state, and suburbs associate with the central city of influence. Connecticut may be one state, but Fairfield County is an extension of NYC, and Norwich is a far reaching extension of Boston.
What a self loathing, defeatist perspective? Although, if I'm right, Mike has not been a Jersey resident in quite a while. So why are you even speaking?
8 & 1/2 million people with pride can/could/should support pro teams.
I'm not from NYC................ I'm from New Jersey. New York City dislikes me for that fact alone.
Nothing is more despicable than a Knicks, Rangers fan who was born & raised in New Jersey. They should be berated. You have/had a team of your own. NYC hates you. Don't you understand that?
Even the delusional types who cling to their NYC roots; As soon as you move to Jersey, NYC dislikes you. Understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
Or should the Nets keep the New Jersey name when they move to Brooklyn? I'm sure Ny would accept that. Right Mike0421? The New Jersey Nets of Brooklyn.
I am thinking that when they moved to NJ in 1977, they should have remained the New York Nets.

Here's a true story: in 2002, I was in Bar Harbor Maine, and the Nets were playing the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. Because I was in Maine, I was able to get the Celtics radio affiliate for the game (I was at a wedding, and remembered going out to my rental car to pick up the game on the radio as I was riveted by the game) and the local announcers were saying out loud "New York, Lucious Harris dribbling in the forecourt", etc. The announcers were literally forgetting on the air the team was based in New Jersey. They were referring to the team, on the radio as New York.

I don't think the announcers meant intentionally to slight the state of New Jersey. But it was revealing that the team, in the eyes of the announcers, was "New York".

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
What a self loathing, defeatist perspective?
I'm not from NYC................ I'm from New Jersey. New York City dislikes me for that fact alone.
Nothing is more despicable than a Knicks, Rangers fan who was born & raised in New Jersey. They should be berated. You have/had a team of your own. NYC hates you. Don't you understand that?
Even the delusional types who cling to their NYC roots; As soon as you move to Jersey, NYC dislikes you. Understand that.
Right, as soon as you move to Orange County, LA dislikes you. But you still root for the Kings, the Dodgers and the Lakers. And for good measure, there are still plenty of fans in Los Angeles that root for the St. Louis Rams.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am thinking that when they moved to NJ in 1977, they should have remained the New York Nets.

Here's a true story: in 2002, I was in Bar Harbor Maine, and the Nets were playing the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. Because I was in Maine, I was able to get the Celtics radio affiliate for the game (I was at a wedding, and remembered going out to my rental car to pick up the game on the radio as I was riveted by the game) and the local announcers were saying out loud "New York, Lucious Harris dribbling in the forecourt", etc. The announcers were literally forgetting on the air the team was based in New Jersey. They were referring to the team, on the radio as New York.

I don't think the announcers meant intentionally to slight the state of New Jersey. But it was revealing that the team, in the eyes of the announcers, was "New York".
Do you think that would've helped with their poor attendance? After all, when you boil down to it, it's all about the $$$$, not the name.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
Quote:
What a self loathing, defeatist perspective? Although, if I'm right, Mike has not been a Jersey resident in quite a while. So why are you even speaking?

Great Post.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Or should the Nets keep the New Jersey name when they move to Brooklyn? I'm sure Ny would accept that. Right Mike0421? The New Jersey Nets of Brooklyn.
So the name hasn't been announced? Would they appeal to the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers and resurrect Brooklyn as their hometown name? That would keep it from sounding like a step child to the Knicks.

RE the state argument: I've never liked state names for pro franchises, I have always felt they should match the city where they play. It is especially confusing in an instance like the Carolina Panthers and the Carolina Hurricanes as they are in entirely different metro areas. If memory serves me right, the old California Seals of the NHL played in the bay area at the same time the AL team in Anaheim was labeled California as well. I like the Marlins going back to Miami for their name, think the MLB and NFL teams in Arizona should be called Phoenix.

The Tennessee Titans chose the state name as they played a season or two in Memphis after relocating from Houston before the current stadium in Nashville was complete. They should be the Nashville Titans as well, but like the Carolina teams are trying to placate a whole state instead of taking on the city name. However the NHL team is the Nashville Predators.

Living here in the Dallas metroplex, the location of Arlington between Dallas and Fort Worth wasn't the only reason, the team is paying homage to history using the Texas Rangers name. Jerry Jones just built his stadium down the street from the Rangers ballpark in Arlington and has kept the Dallas name for the Cowboys. I have never heard a single person from the Houston area object to the Rangers using the name Texas as opposed to Dallas (or Fort Worth or Arlington).

All that said, the New Jersey Nets (and Devils) are probably the best use of a state name since there is no central city. Newark Nets might have worked. North Jersey Nets? LOL, sounds like a junior college team.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Do you think that would've helped with their poor attendance? After all, when you boil down to it, it's all about the $$$$, not the name.
Probably not, because, as I have said, the NYC area is a one basketball team city, the Knicks. And I will give NYC and NJ fans full credit: that team is supported. Always has been. Same with the Rangers. The 'winter sports' teams in NY can support 1 team, in my opinion, baseball can support at least 3, and football is right there with 2 teams.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
So the name hasn't been announced? Would they appeal to the memory of the Brooklyn Dodgers and resurrect Brooklyn as their hometown name? That would keep it from sounding like a step child to the Knicks.

RE the state argument: I've never liked state names for pro franchises, I have always felt they should match the city where they play. It is especially confusing in an instance like the Carolina Panthers and the Carolina Hurricanes as they are in entirely different metro areas. If memory serves me right, the old California Seals of the NHL played in the bay area at the same time the AL team in Anaheim was labeled California as well. I like the Marlins going back to Miami for their name, think the MLB and NFL teams in Arizona should be called Phoenix.

The Tennessee Titans chose the state name as they played a season or two in Memphis after relocating from Houston before the current stadium in Nashville was complete. They should be the Nashville Titans as well, but like the Carolina teams are trying to placate a whole state instead of taking on the city name. However the NHL team is the Nashville Predators.

Living here in the Dallas metroplex, the location of Arlington between Dallas and Fort Worth wasn't the only reason, the team is paying homage to history using the Texas Rangers name. Jerry Jones just built his stadium down the street from the Rangers ballpark in Arlington and has kept the Dallas name for the Cowboys. I have never heard a single person from the Houston area object to the Rangers using the name Texas as opposed to Dallas (or Fort Worth or Arlington).

All that said, the New Jersey Nets (and Devils) are probably the best use of a state name since there is no central city. Newark Nets might have worked. North Jersey Nets? LOL, sounds like a junior college team.

They will be called Brooklyn Nets. It was already announced. I was just making a point to mike.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
They will be called Brooklyn Nets. It was already announced. I was just making a point to mike.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry to intrude on a local sports issue since I am out of state, but I am always interested in sports moves like this, team names, history of franchises, etc, etc. Was scrolling down the main menu and this topic stuck out and reeled me in, lol.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
All I am saying is that state borders sometimes are superseded by metropolitan areas. I mean no disrespect. When I lived in New Jersey, amongst my friends, all who lived (and still do live) in NJ, they are all Knick fans. I was the only Nets fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey