U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
488 posts, read 453,399 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Ridiculous post of the year nominee.
Accepted with grace and honor. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 PM
 
4,721 posts, read 2,664,913 times
Reputation: 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Brown, the Rutgers student has served two terms in Iraq and has done extensive fundraising to raise funds for veterans to go to Rutgers on scholarship. Christie can not handle any criticism at these town hall meetings....he wouldn't last one day as a classroom teacher. It's clear to me who is the real hero here.....and I am not an NJEA member.
He served two tours in Iraq.

Maybe he's got two terms of law school under his belt.

If Christie couldn't handle criticism ANYWHERE, he'd have crawled in to a corner and resigned by now.

A classroom teacher? I'd think he'd be great. I had a teacher like that. In a private school. She took no prisoners. She was WELL respected b/c she didn't LET the idiots act out when she didn't ask them to. She was a democrat/liberal...I remember her handing out the forms for us to fill out so we could register to vote in my US Gov't. AP class during my Sr. year. While she was doing so, she said, "I'm pretty damn sure THIS is a day I'm going to regret".

That comment, had it been in a situation reversed, would probably make the news today.


Democrat/liberal teacher....having to deal with the majority of "her" kids (students) raised conservative/republican, she had to deal with, on a daily basis, her students reading the NY Times subscriptions we had to have (she made that a requirement), and discussing "current events" every day with her..... and she not only taught American history, like I said, she taught US Government and US Government AP classes. Pretty sure she was awarded "favorite teacher" years before my class voted for her, hands down, and years after, and until she retired.

The majority like straight shooters. No matter which end of the political spectrum they fall on. Tell it. Be real.

The passive agressive, "it's show-time" baloney all politicians put on to try to win friends and influence people....it's so see-through, it's pathetic.

Point your finger at me! Don't thrust your arm out with a closed fist and your thumb pointed upwards and waggle your wrist at me. Grow up. Women wear pants in 2012. It's ok.

Be real.

IMO, Christie is real. You don't have to like it, you just have to stop clutching at your pearls when you KNOW if Christie was in your corner, you'd claim "what a breath of fresh air".

Last edited by Sawdustmaker; 03-11-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
810 posts, read 1,661,259 times
Reputation: 581
I like Christie and I like his "tell it like it is" attitude. However, I don't think he needed to call anyone an idiot.

Both of them were in the wrong here and need to apologize to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
 
13,176 posts, read 11,795,353 times
Reputation: 7560
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I like Christie and I like his "tell it like it is" attitude. However, I don't think he needed to call anyone an idiot.

Both of them were in the wrong here and need to apologize to each other.
I like a tell it like it is person as well, however, he needs to also learn to accept constructive debats and difference of opinions, if he could do that, at the end of the day, both parties, walk away thinking about it and maybe even learning something...his attitude is what kills him, plus, we all know he's backed by the mob...and the mob runs NJ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
 
13,569 posts, read 16,538,535 times
Reputation: 11643
Have any of you criticizing Christie over this one actually watched the entire thing as it happened or read the transcripts from before the exchange?

Brown posed the original question and claimed that the merger would 'lessen' the value of the education if it was branded as Rowan instead of Rutgers. He claimed that South Jersey would be damaged by the merger because South Jerseyans would lose access to a Rutgers degree and what it means outside of the state. Poignant observation considering that anyone in the state doesn't exactly value a "Rutgers-Camden" education in nearly the same way as a New Brunswick or Rutgers College degree is seen. In fact, Rowan is "ranked better" then Rutgers-Camden.

Christie responded with his position that the merger was going to be a positive in his belief because it would create a stronger researched institution for South Jersey.

They then went back and forth for a few minutes over some details such as whether or not current Rutgers students would earn Rutgers degrees, which they will. During the back and forth, Brown kept shouting and interupting Christie as he was trying to speak. Christie moved onto another question, but Bown continued to interupt him as he was unsatisfied with the answers.

Then begins the exchange everyone has seen on YouTube and the news. Sure, Christie knew it would be a "YouTube" moment and threw some of the remarks in there, but I don't think he was totally off-base. It wasn't like the guy asked a question, Christie responded, the guy countered and then Christie went off the rocker. There were plenty of sources that said the guy interupted Christie on and off for 5-10 minutes including while he was answering other peoples questions. The part we all saw, was when Christie finally popped his cork.

The idiot comment is probably the most derisive, but I think it may actually fit. First off, it was obvious that Brown was there to make a scene. He didn't want to ask Christie a question or engage in a discussion, he simply wanted a platform to get his name out there and he got it. Second, Christie was scorning him for his demeanor in relation to Brown wanting to be a lawyer in a courtroom, only an 'idiot' would behave like that in court.

Second, the "I'm the governor" part isn't exactly a horrible comment, IMO. You respect the office, not the person. Being that Brown is a veteran, I would think he would get that. It wasn't about agreeing or disagreeing with Christie, it was about giving the governor a chance to answer the question without being interupted and giving the governor a chance to answer others questions without being interupted.

The fact Brown is a veteran should have no bearing on his ability to speak, interupt or be free of criticism for his actions in this scenario. Overall, I don't see what him being a veteren or SEAL has to do with anything. He is a law student with political aspirations. He wants the vet vs. governor angle, but that's not what this was.

Additionally, Brown isn't all that smart if he wants to be a Dem in South Jersey and he is this vocal over the merger issue. First off, he basically said a Rowan degree was crap. A university that is affiliated with many of the top Dems in South Jersey. Second, the entire merger, at least IMO, is a payoff to Norcross and Sweeney. Any South Jersey Dem worth a damn tows the Norcross line and likes it if they want a chance to be anyone. Brown got his 15 minutes, but that's all he'll get because he managed to not only paint himself opposed to the governor, but also opposed to the entire South Jersey Dem machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Bergen County, Nazi Jerky
367 posts, read 419,339 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
He served two tours in Iraq.
Has this been confirmed and by whom? Was he in fact a SEAL? I've interacted with a number SPEC-OPs types and normally you don't encounter the type of rude behavior he exhibited. I'm not saying he isn't what he claims to be, I'd just like confirmation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,119 posts, read 6,409,447 times
Reputation: 2863
It's a Rutgers degree from anyone of their campuses the same?

It's still a Rutgers degree,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
 
13,569 posts, read 16,538,535 times
Reputation: 11643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Has this been confirmed and by whom? Was he in fact a SEAL? I've interacted with a number SPEC-OPs types and normally you don't encounter the type of rude behavior he exhibited. I'm not saying he isn't what he claims to be, I'd just like confirmation.
This was brought up on some other sites and news articles. There apparently used to be a database where you could confirm it since so many people were claiming to be special forces folks, but that has been shut down. As of right now, no one has confirmed or denied that he was a SEAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
It's a Rutgers degree from anyone of their campuses the same?

It's still a Rutgers degree,.
That's not true. To someone outside the area they may just see "Rutgers" and recognize the name. However, actual Rutgers degrees are conferred by campus. A degree from Camden is a degree from Rutgers-Camden, etc. Regionally there are different rankings of the schools and degrees carry different merit. For instance, it is MUCH easier to get into Rutgers-Camden then it is to get into the main Rutgers campus or the only actually selective branch, Rutgers College. Rutgers-Camden is not even nearly as competitive as Rowan in terms of admissions and rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 2,664,913 times
Reputation: 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Has this been confirmed and by whom? Was he in fact a SEAL? I've interacted with a number SPEC-OPs types and normally you don't encounter the type of rude behavior he exhibited. I'm not saying he isn't what he claims to be, I'd just like confirmation.
I honestly don't know, but I know where you are going with what you are asking/saying.

My husband has a good friend who is a SEAL.

That bachelor party, 17 years ago, consisted of a few civilian friends and a lot of his fellow SEALS' binding him up and tossing him in the ocean (off the Jersey shore). Naked. They left a little note on a pile of dry clothes and a towel on the beach...the note told him where to find them when he dried off so he could find his way to his own party. They thought not one thing could go wrong. I was horrified (after the fact, wasn't there, my husband was one of the civilian friends). They were timing him. He apparently did well.

They're no jokes, those SEALS. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Can't imagine this idiot was ever a SEAL for anything other than saying he was. Or maybe he was "the guy" who made the cut by the skin of his balls. Got out as soon as could. To be a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 4,542,061 times
Reputation: 1483
The Christie haters throw yet another grenade that lands in the dirt. What else is new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top