U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 PM

4,333 posts, read 3,368,748 times
Default License plates if you lease a car...

If you LEASE a new car in the state of NJ, can you transfer your old plates, or do you have to get brand new plates as one dealer tells me ... a dealer that I didn't particularly trust.

I still have my old plates because I totaled my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 AM

784 posts, read 942,496 times
New Plates, the car isnt yours. The registration will be in the name of the leasing company as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,435,073 times
This happened to a friend of mine that leased a car. He had special plates and lost them to the dealer, since the vehicle wasn't owned by him. As TonyStarksNJ said, the registration is in the name of the leasing company.

Transferring Plates State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,435,073 times
Okay, this is new:
"If you lease a vehicle and get personalized, courtesy or special plates, you can now get additional sets of the same personalized plate (differentiated by a subscript). Contact MVC for more information. The cost will be set by the chief administrator." From: State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,786,130 times
Bingo on what the others said, if you lease you need to get new plates which are then surrendered when you turn the car in.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I still have my old plates because I totaled my car.
How long have you had the old plates? Technically, your NJ plates are rented from the MVC, and your registration fees are exactly that, rent. You can be fined, or even your license suspended for not returning license plates. While you can transfer your plates to a new car, your not suppose to hold on to them for any extended amount to time. You can't keep plates you might use someday on a new car. When you turn them is your get a receipt proof of turning them in.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,970,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
How long have you had the old plates? Technically, your NJ plates are rented from the MVC, and your registration fees are exactly that, rent. You can be fined, or even your license suspended for not returning license plates. While you can transfer your plates to a new car, your not suppose to hold on to them for any extended amount to time. You can't keep plates you might use someday on a new car. When you turn them is your get a receipt proof of turning them in.
As correct as you are, I have a few sets of my old plates. One set is 20yrs old.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM

1,171 posts, read 906,936 times
Quote:
I had no idea you could get fined or your license suspended for keeping old plates. I have all of my old license plates I've had from the various states I've lived in (they were personalized). No one's come for me yet.....

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
As correct as you are, I have a few sets of my old plates. One set is 20yrs old.
As almost all investment literature warns you that past performance is no guarantee of future results. Simply put, just because they haven't caught you in the past doesn't mean they will not in the future.

It's a valid law on the books, I guess it's just not enforced as often as it should. If you plates got onto a car that was used in the commission of a crime, I'm sure there would be repercussions for you since your the last one the plates were registered to. Which brings up a interesting question, if you do not turn in your plates, does the DMV reuse the number anyway? Or it the number unusable until they are sure they are not more than one car using that number?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 906,936 times
Quote:
As almost all investment literature warns you that past performance is no guarantee of future results. Simply put, just because they haven't caught you in the past doesn't mean they will not in the future.

It's a valid law on the books, I guess it's just not enforced as often as it should. If you plates got onto a car that was used in the commission of a crime, I'm sure there would be repercussions for you since your the last one the plates were registered to. Which brings up a interesting question, if you do not turn in your plates, does the DMV reuse the number anyway? Or it the number unusable until they are sure they are not more than one car using that number?
That's what I thought the extent of my responsibility was - that those plates cannot be used on any car and need to be kept safely away from others to prevent misuse. I knew you were supposed to turn them in but really had no idea it was any type of offense if you didn't. What if you turn one of them in? Does that count as returning them? They are not getting both of my NY Yankees Iowa plates! Those are classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey