Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
4000sq foot houses are a norm in my part of town, and they would cost much more in NJ and in other states. A majority here are from somewhere where they sold a smaller home at a large price and bought here at same, or maybe even a bit lower. If they didn't there may be taxes to pay.Real estate taxes here are low, so the average taxes on a 4000 SQ FT house are between $2500-$4500 depending on what part of town you live. You could afford then to travel and to buy cars, boats etc. Your not using all your money to pay taxes .That is why we are getting retires here. Its Economics 101.

The people in Manalapan, not all, bought way over their heads and flaunted what they really did not have. Some bought with those subprime rates, and I know this to be a fact. I would never want to live like that.
I have never put down less than half on a house, some more, except for my first house which I bought on LI for $33,000. That one if I still owned it is over $400,000 now!

I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you saying what you can afford is a measure of how materialistic or snobby you are? If you buy a 4000sq. ft. home in cash, you are more down to earth than someone who has to borrow to buy the same house and the Beemer to go with it? I don't quite get that.

What do you think the natives of your area think of the people in your neighborhood who have moved from other states and are now flaunting their paid for houses and cars? Do you think they may view YOU as snobby and materialistic? After all, they are not the lucky ones who cashed in on homes in NY, NJ, and CA. They can't possibly afford these homes on a typical Nashville salary. I don't have to guess what they think, the same thing goes on here in Charlotte.

I'm with you on materialism. I despise it. But you can't say you dislike it on your terms only. Well, I guess you can say it, but it doesn't sound credible to most. I'm not trying to be critical, honestly. But do you realize that the ones coming from other states to buy huge, wasteful homes they couldn't afford in their home states are just as materialistic as anyone else?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you saying what you can afford is a measure of how materialistic or snobby you are? If you buy a 4000sq. ft. home in cash, you are more down to earth than someone who has to borrow to buy the same house and the Beemer to go with it? I don't quite get that.

What do you think the natives of your area think of the people in your neighborhood who have moved from other states and are now flaunting their paid for houses and cars? Do you think they may view YOU as snobby and materialistic? After all, they are not the lucky ones who cashed in on homes in NY, NJ, and CA. They can't possibly afford these homes on a typical Nashville salary. I don't have to guess what they think, the same thing goes on here in Charlotte.

I'm with you on materialism. I despise it. But you can't say you dislike it on your terms only. Well, I guess you can say it, but it doesn't sound credible to most. I'm not trying to be critical, honestly. But do you realize that the ones coming from other states to buy huge, wasteful homes they couldn't afford in their home states are just as materialistic as anyone else?
That's not true, because all the houses in this part of town are that size.
I have a friend that has lived here all her life and she lives in a classer part of town. Her house is also 4000sq and she has more land than me. She bought in 1991, and didn't pay as much, but you know if I had bought then I would still be in the same house. Her Subdivision is less than a mile from Alan Jackson's house. I know her from a travel group I belonged to on Line. Her sister acually sold me the house I'm in. I found out she had a realtor for a sister, and the rest is history. I don't own a beemer, I own a $23,000 toyota, same model I owned in NJ. I don't need fancy cars.
Diane

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I would venture to say zero, because you've never worked for a bank. If you did, you would know better than to say that. How much of a home is mortgaged is inconsequential! The important part is how much you make relative to your mortgage payments, your debt ratio, etc. If someone is doing a 100% mortgage on a $500k home are they foolish? Not necessarily - they may be making $300k a year, and want to keep the bulk of their money in other investments.

You know you didn't work at a bank - just admit it.
I have to chime in here to agree with you. Smart people, rich people keep the BIGGEST mortgage possible when rates are this low. I'm not talking about people who need an ARM to get into a house, I'm talking about people that could buy the house for cash if they wanted.

Yet another thing Diane is clueless about.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
I have a friend that has lived here all her life and she lives in a classer part of town. Her house is also 4000sq and she has more land than me. She bought in 1991, and didn't pay as much, but you know if I had bought then I would still be in the same house. Her Subdivision is less than a mile from Alan Jackson's house. I know her from a travel group I belonged to on Line. Her sister acually sold me the house I'm in. I found out she had a realtor for a sister, and the rest is history. I don't own a beemer, I own a $23,000 toyota, same model I owned in NJ. I don't need fancy cars.
Diane
A few questions...

What is classer?

Does living next to some nuevo riche redneck country singer make things more important for you? Does he pay your bills or something that you need to mention this? Does anyone really give a rat's rear end about living next to celebrities? Jerry Nachman, Artie Lange, and Eli Manning have lived in my building before...should I mention this as well?

Is spell check not available?

Why are you still posting on the New Jersey Board? You claim to hate it with a passion and that is almost "killed" you, but yet you seem fascinated with this place.

Do you need directions to the Nashville board?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Diane
Just to let you know, I wasn't at all talking about your home, or car, or spending. I'm not on this forum much anymore, and don't know you or your posts.
I was speaking in general.

I do have to say, Diane, you confuse me.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Gah. Never mind. Speed bump.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Gah. Never mind. Speed bump.
I'm waiting for my (incredibly lazy) mortgage processor to get back to me; I don't mind slowing down

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Good lord, this is painful to read! I have to say that I find this board to be most useful for utilitarian discussions (How long is the commute from _____ to _____?, What school does _______ go to?, etc...), but some of the culture/opinion stuff is fun too. I'm quite proud of my "Ode to Wawa" thread for example Anyway, though this particular thread does grate on the eyeballs, it is sort of like a train wreck to watch the vitriol and venom spewed at New Jersey from an ex-pat living in Tennessee. It really makes you wonder just what makes that person tick. I could care less who likes New Jersey and who doesn't-I live here, I want to stay, and that's it! A friendly discussion is one thing but sheesh! Of course it also makes you wonder if Diane is a real person and not just a troll looking to stir the pot

Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Good lord, this is painful to read! I have to say that I find this board to be most useful for utilitarian discussions (How long is the commute from _____ to _____?, What school does _______ go to?, etc...), but some of the culture/opinion stuff is fun too. I'm quite proud of my "Ode to Wawa" thread for example Anyway, though this particular thread does grate on the eyeballs, it is sort of like a train wreck to watch the vitriol and venom spewed at New Jersey from an ex-pat living in Tennessee. It really makes you wonder just what makes that person tick. I could care less who likes New Jersey and who doesn't-I live here, I want to stay, and that's it! A friendly discussion is one thing but sheesh! Of course it also makes you wonder if Diane is a real person and not just a troll looking to stir the pot
She has to be real given the obscene amount of grammatical errors.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
A few questions...

What is classer?

Does living next to some nuevo riche redneck country singer make things more important for you? Does he pay your bills or something that you need to mention this? Does anyone really give a rat's rear end about living next to celebrities? Jerry Nachman, Artie Lange, and Eli Manning have lived in my building before...should I mention this as well?

Is spell check not available?

Why are you still posting on the New Jersey Board? You claim to hate it with a passion and that is almost "killed" you, but yet you seem fascinated with this place.

Do you need directions to the Nashville board?
Typo-classier
I don't see spell check on this board.
I know where the Nashville board is, I post there.
Could you believe I just hired a window-washer who is from Westfield, NJ orginally. His mom still lives there. I have 44 windows. I never counted but he did.
I thought this was the US where you were free to do what you wanted to. I assume you must not be from the US orginally, because you are Questioning my freedom.
Diane

Last edited by Diane Giam; 09-25-2007 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: wrong figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey