Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 AM

11 posts, read 36,051 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So, I've asked this question in other posts as well, but thought I'd start one here too:

So I'll be working in Edison in June, Newark in July and Brooklyn in August. Any suggestions on the safest place to live in, near public transportation and best place to get to all three areas?

I don't have my own car, and will be relying fully on public transportation. Will probably sublet a place for 3 months- maybe around 600-800$ a month.

Need all the help I can get!!!

Look forward to everyones opinions and advice! And also, how are these places to work in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Hmmm. $600 - $800? Here's what you do. Buy a refrigerator in that price range. Give the fridge away or sell it on Ebay. Live in the box.

Are you seriously trying to move to NJ and find an apartment rental in 2012 at 1995 prices? Your best bet is to look for a share with 2 or 3 other people so you can have a room somewhere with kitchen access. A share like that (or just renting a room) will be in that price range.

Your biggest problem is Brooklyn. If you have checked out the most rudimentary details of the area's geography, you then know that you have to cross from NJ to one of two islands--Staten Island or Manhattan Island--and then cross from that island to Brooklyn. This means that traveling over all that water and across all that heavily developed land will be a pain in the ass and require several changes of transportation mode. However, it is difficult, if not impossible, to get to Brooklyn via Staten Island by public transportation alone, so your best bet is going into the city (Manhattan) and getting to Brooklyn from there. Bear that in mind when planning your transportation routes.

There is good access to the city from both Edison and Newark, and good access between Edison and Newark to each other. Cheapest access to the city is from Newark.

Now, I would personally be hesitant to live in Newark for the most part, but others on here seem to think there are areas that are perfectly find to live in. It's all about your tolerance for risk. And of course, as Newark is a decaying, rundown, high-crime city, you will find more in your price range there, but again, the safety risk is higher. Edison is a giant suburb and a safer place to live, but more expensive. Still, it's not the most expensive or fancy place to live in Jersey, either, so you should be able to find a room or a share there.

As I mentioned in response to your other post, just be prepared to spend inordinate amounts of time commuting in August.

As for working, Edison is fine to work in any neighborhood. Newark and Brooklyn depend, of course, on where you will be working. Despite my Newark-bashing, I do work there sometimes in the complex across the street from Newark Penn train station, and I'm OK with that. So the first week we moved offices there in 2002 somebody was shot outside the building. It hasn't happened again as far as I know. There are parts of Newark where shots are fired every day. Hopefully that's not where you will be working. Same with Brooklyn. It's a huge borough and the neighborhoods vary. Some parts you don't want to set foot in, other parts are very wealthy.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
You'll clearly have to find a roommate that is looking to sublet for a short period. Probably worth trying to move to Brooklyn for the last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: