Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM

17 posts, read 74,433 times

Advertisements

for that money, go closer inland and you can get something decent...$1500 is not going to cut it in JC unfortunately but there are tons of towns closer that would fit the bill. JC is just expensive b/c of location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 AM

17 posts, read 74,433 times
PARed- try further inland, Jersey City is going to be too expensive for your budget.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM

133 posts, read 311,714 times
At the moment, I work on Washington Blvd. near the Newport Mall. Newport has it's pros and cons in terms of commuting. The major advantage is that you can live in NJ and work in NJ without having to pay for or take the time to cross the Hudson everyday and go into Manhattan. The unfortunate part is that although it's not Manhattan, and not as busy, all of the surrounding roads during normal rush hours are usually jammed up with traffic, especially if you are going anywhere north of Jersey City. I've done it a few times when I needed to and Route 3, Hoboken Ave., the 1&9...etc...can be brutal. A trip that should take 1 hour can end up taking 2 hours. Monthly parking will run you at least $75 in Newport as well. A surprising number of people that I work with drive, but I would still suggest taking a train line that terminates in Hoboken. Your monthly train pass can be used free of charge for a light rail trip from the Hoboken train station to the Pavonia/Newport light rail station in front of the Newport mall. You can also walk. I walk from Hoboken to my office everyday because I dislike having to take two trains. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk from Newport to the Hoboken train station depending on how fast you walk. The PATH is another option, as there is a Newport PATH station, but that will cost you extra beyond the cost of your monthly NJTransit train ticket.

$1500 can you get you a 2 bedroom apartment in a northern NJ suburb with a 45 minute commute, but be aware that there is a big demand for apartments that meet that criteria so it may take awhile to find something. I think if you commute anywhere past the Secaucus Junction train station towards the more suburban areas, you're guaranteed to be commuting for more than 30 minutes. I commute from the southern part of Passaic county and it takes me exactly 50 minutes door to door to get to Jersey City via the NJTransit Main line. Parking is also free at several Main line stations. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much of anything about the schools though.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM

17 posts, read 21,740 times
@Cometv6787

Your response was very helpful. I am going to look in northern NJ. Do you recommend any suburbs in particular?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM

133 posts, read 311,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARed View Post
@Cometv6787

Your response was very helpful. I am going to look in northern NJ. Do you recommend any suburbs in particular?
Hey, thanks. I can only really recommend towns near the Main/Bergen train lines and the two places I wouldn't want to live in are Paterson and Passaic. Beyond that, Rutherford, Garfield, Nutley, Clifton, Lyndhurst and Secaucus would all probably be commutable within one hour of Newport and are all decent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey